Velocity Reviews

-   -   The server unexpectedly closed the connection (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t646937-the-server-unexpectedly-closed-the-connection.html)

Joseph Geretz 12-02-2008 09:07 PM

The server unexpectedly closed the connection

Visual Studio 2005:

Why do I get this error when publishing my web application?

Connecting to https://host.domain.com/app/...
Publishing folder /...
Publishing folder bin...
Unable to add 'bin/AppUtils.pdb' to the Web. The server unexpectedly closed
the connection.
========== Build: 5 succeeded or up-to-date, 0 failed, 0 skipped ==========
========== Publish: 0 succeeded, 1 failed, 0 skipped ==========

Thanks for your advice,

Joseph Geretz

Gregory A. Beamer 12-02-2008 09:18 PM

Re: The server unexpectedly closed the connection

The PDB may be too large. You can avoid publishing them by not having them
created in the first place. You will have to move to a release build and/or
specify not to create them.

--
Gregory A. Beamer
MVP: MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA

Blog:

| Think Outside the Box! |

Joseph Geretz 12-02-2008 09:53 PM

Re: The server unexpectedly closed the connection

Hi Gregory,

Thanks, that makes sense. This PDB is by far and away the largest file.

Followup: Is there a definition for 'too large' and can this be adjusted per
server?

Thanks!

Joseph Geretz

Joseph Geretz 12-02-2008 10:03 PM

Re: The server unexpectedly closed the connection

BTW, I publish the same application to a variety of servers. On some this
file succeeds, but on others it fails. Is the max upload file a configurable
value, and if so, where can I set this?

Thanks!

Joseph Geretz

Jeff Dillon 12-03-2008 12:47 AM

Re: The server unexpectedly closed the connection

Why do you need the pdb on the server??

Joseph Geretz 12-03-2008 01:37 AM

Re: The server unexpectedly closed the connection

Remote debugging?

But isn't this question a bit beside the point? What is going to happen when
I have a large DLL file which needs to be deployed?

I'd like to know please where the parameter is defined for the maximum size
for an uploaded file.

Thank you,

Joseph Geretz

Jeff Dillon 12-03-2008 06:44 PM

Re: The server unexpectedly closed the connection

Not beside the point at all. Have you EVER seen a dll that large? You are
doing remote debugging on a production site??

Gregory A. Beamer 12-03-2008 09:20 PM

Re: The server unexpectedly closed the connection

The problem comes with network issues. There is not an actual "too large"
that can be named. What is most likely happening is you are timing out
before publish is complete.

A better way is to publish locally and then migrate the files to the server,
rather than have VS do it for you. Then you have complete control over the
deployment. When VS 2010 comes out, unless something changes, there will be
even better deploy options.

Joseph Geretz 12-04-2008 09:32 PM

Re: The server unexpectedly closed the connection

Hi Gregory,

> The problem comes with network issues. There is not an actual "too large"
> that can be named. What is most likely happening is you are timing out
> before publish is complete.

Perhaps. I didn't realize that the publication process is so brain-dead,
that it can't accommodate large files. Our own application has been passing
large (multi-meg) files via HTTP since WSE 2.0. It never occurred to me that
Visual Studio Publishing would have difficulty with this.

Oh well. FTP works.

Joseph Geretz 12-04-2008 09:34 PM

Re: The server unexpectedly closed the connection

> Not beside the point at all.

Whose point? Yours or mine?