Velocity Reviews

-   -   Splitting and merging ripped home movie DVD's (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t646505-splitting-and-merging-ripped-home-movie-dvds.html)

DD 11-29-2008 09:09 AM

Splitting and merging ripped home movie DVD's

I have a few home movie dvd's that I want to combine, some will need to
be be split up and inserted into some of the other videos. This is
because I have a lot of old 8mm movies that I have converted to DVD's
and they are all mixed up. I am completely confused by the information I
have read on the Net and need to know how I can accomplish this. Since
this is a one off situation, I need to use free programs where
possible. Any help that will enable me to convert my DVD's or the .IFO
files to a format that I can edit would be appreciated as would
directions as to how these files can be merged and combined to make a
movie would be appreciated.

DD

PS. If this is the wrong Newsgroup or there is another that I should
refer to, please excuse and advise the correct newsgroup for this type
of query.

M.L. 11-29-2008 01:20 PM

Re: Splitting and merging ripped home movie DVD's

> I have a few home movie dvd's that I want to combine, some will need to
>be be split up and inserted into some of the other videos. This is
>because I have a lot of old 8mm movies that I have converted to DVD's
>and they are all mixed up. I am completely confused by the information I
>have read on the Net and need to know how I can accomplish this. Since
>this is a one off situation, I need to use free programs where
>possible. Any help that will enable me to convert my DVD's or the .IFO
>files to a format that I can edit would be appreciated as would
>directions as to how these files can be merged and combined to make a
>movie would be appreciated.

Use Video Edit Master to edit (split) your unencrypted VOB files and
recombine them (you'll need to rename the VOB file extensions to MPG).
If renaming the VOB extensions to MPG doesn't work as input, you'll
need to convert the VOBs to MPGs the proper way by using a dedicated
converter like VOB2MPG. Try to keep the total length of the final
video under 2 hours for best results.

Use Free Videos To DVD to reauthor your MPEG files and burn to DVD, or
to reauthor and create a VIDEO_TS DVD folder for further processing.
Try to keep the total size of the final (single-sided) DVD under 4.3
GB.

If necessary, use DVD Shrink or ShrinkTo5 to shrink your VIDEO_TS DVD
folder contents to fit a single-sided (4.3 GB DVD5 size) DVD.

Video Edit Master (splitter/joiner, no reencoding)
Input: AVI, MPEG1, MPEG2
Output: AVI, MPEG1, MPEG2
OS: Win 2000/XP/2003/Vista
http://software.tutorialsroom.com/

VOB2MPG
http://www.videohelp.com/tools/VOB2MPG

Free Videos To DVD (also burns to DVD, optional adware installs)
Input: AVI, MPEG1, MPEG2, WMV
Output: DVD, ISO, VOB (VIDEO_TS folder)
OS: Win 2000/XP/2003/Vista
www.koyotesoft.com/indexEn.html

DVD Shrink
Input: VOB (VIDEO_TS folder)
Output: VOB (VIDEO_TS folder)
OS: Win 98/ME/2000/XP/2003/Vista
http://majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=4020

ShrinkTo5
Input: VOB (VIDEO_TS folder)
Output: VOB (VIDEO_TS folder)
OS: Win 98/ME/2000/XP/Vista
http://www.photo-freeware.net/shrinkto5.php

DD 12-01-2008 12:04 AM

Re: Splitting and merging ripped home movie DVD's

Thank you for your complete and very well laid out answer. I have
started on the job and have had no trouble so far; the renaming of the
..VOB extension worked like a charm. I am not sure how to divide up the
video so that there is only 2 hours on each DVD so I might have to use
Dvd Shrink as you suggest.

Thanks again
DD

M.L. 12-01-2008 05:20 AM

Re: Splitting and merging ripped home movie DVD's

>>> I have a few home movie dvd's that I want to combine, some will need to
>>> be be split up and inserted into some of the other videos. This is
>>> because I have a lot of old 8mm movies that I have converted to DVD's
>>> and they are all mixed up. I am completely confused by the information I
>>> have read on the Net and need to know how I can accomplish this. Since
>>> this is a one off situation, I need to use free programs where
>>> possible. Any help that will enable me to convert my DVD's or the .IFO
>>> files to a format that I can edit would be appreciated as would
>>> directions as to how these files can be merged and combined to make a
>>> movie would be appreciated.

>> Use Video Edit Master to edit (split) your unencrypted VOB files and
>> recombine them (you'll need to rename the VOB file extensions to MPG).
>> If renaming the VOB extensions to MPG doesn't work as input, you'll
>> need to convert the VOBs to MPGs the proper way by using a dedicated
>> converter like VOB2MPG. Try to keep the total length of the final
>> video under 2 hours for best results.
>>
>> Use Free Videos To DVD to reauthor your MPEG files and burn to DVD, or
>> to reauthor and create a VIDEO_TS DVD folder for further processing.
>> Try to keep the total size of the final (single-sided) DVD under 4.3
>> GB.
>>
>> If necessary, use DVD Shrink or ShrinkTo5 to shrink your VIDEO_TS DVD
>> folder contents to fit a single-sided (4.3 GB DVD5 size) DVD.
>>
>> Video Edit Master (splitter/joiner, no reencoding)
>> Input: AVI, MPEG1, MPEG2
>> Output: AVI, MPEG1, MPEG2
>> OS: Win 2000/XP/2003/Vista
>> http://software.tutorialsroom.com/
>>
>> VOB2MPG
>> http://www.videohelp.com/tools/VOB2MPG
>>
>> Free Videos To DVD (also burns to DVD, optional adware installs)
>> Input: AVI, MPEG1, MPEG2, WMV
>> Output: DVD, ISO, VOB (VIDEO_TS folder)
>> OS: Win 2000/XP/2003/Vista
>> www.koyotesoft.com/indexEn.html
>>
>> DVD Shrink
>> Input: VOB (VIDEO_TS folder)
>> Output: VOB (VIDEO_TS folder)
>> OS: Win 98/ME/2000/XP/2003/Vista
>> http://majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=4020
>>
>> ShrinkTo5
>> Input: VOB (VIDEO_TS folder)
>> Output: VOB (VIDEO_TS folder)
>> OS: Win 98/ME/2000/XP/Vista
>> http://www.photo-freeware.net/shrinkto5.php

> Thank you for your complete and very well laid out answer. I have
>started on the job and have had no trouble so far; the renaming of the
>.VOB extension worked like a charm. I am not sure how to divide up the
>video so that there is only 2 hours on each DVD so I might have to use
>Dvd Shrink as you suggest.

As you add each video file to Video Edit Master you can find the total
length of all those files when you look at the bottom of it's
"Included Segments" section, then notice the "Total Duration" label.

DD 12-01-2008 06:55 AM

Re: Splitting and merging ripped home movie DVD's

>> Thank you for your complete and very well laid out answer. I have
>> started on the job and have had no trouble so far; the renaming of the
>> .VOB extension worked like a charm. I am not sure how to divide up the
>> video so that there is only 2 hours on each DVD so I might have to use
>> Dvd Shrink as you suggest.

> As you add each video file to Video Edit Master you can find the total
> length of all those files when you look at the bottom of it's
> "Included Segments" section, then notice the "Total Duration" label.

Thanks for the advice, I had already picked that up. When I said I was
not sure how to divide up my video, I meant where to make the physical
breaks!
I have got a bit of a problem at the moment Video Edit Master keeps
freezing but I am almost certain that my computer is the culprit, it
needed defragging and I have not checked for ad-ware lately.
I will also need to remove the sound of the 8mm projector which is
being picked up by the video camera, any ideas?

DD

M.L. 12-02-2008 06:20 AM

Re: Splitting and merging ripped home movie DVD's

> I will also need to remove the sound of the 8mm projector which is
>being picked up by the video camera, any ideas?

The results might never be satisfying, but you can try Audacity to
remove a consistent noise by sampling a small section of the audio
containing only noise, and use it's noise filter to rid the entire
video of it.

http://majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=4427