Velocity Reviews

-   -   Re: Virus? USB 500GB external hard disk is now "raw format" (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t646217-re-virus-usb-500gb-external-hard-disk-is-now-raw-format.html)

Johnw 11-26-2008 09:06 PM

Re: Virus? USB 500GB external hard disk is now "raw format"

on 26/11/2008, ralph supposed :
> I just can't seem to find a tutorial for recovering photographs using the
> free Photo Rescue CD http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/PhotoRec

Have a look at these.

tutorial PhotoRec
http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=e...G=Search&meta=

http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/PhotoRec_Step_By_Step

http://preview.tinyurl.com/ytbkba

ralph 11-27-2008 10:44 AM

On Thu, 27 Nov 2008 06:06:20 +0900, Johnw wrote:

> tutorial PhotoRec
> http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=e...G=Search&meta=
> http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/PhotoRec_Step_By_Step
> http://preview.tinyurl.com/ytbkba

Excellent! Will try. I thought this was going to be easy to rescue the RAW
disk thousands of photos but it has turned out to not be intuitive. It's
like working with unexploded ordnance ... even simple things become
difficult without precise instructions as hit or miss doesn't work with
photo rescue efforts.

phil-news-nospam@ipal.net 11-30-2008 08:01 PM

In rec.photo.digital ralph <ralphemers@gmail.com> wrote:

| On Thu, 27 Nov 2008 06:06:20 +0900, Johnw wrote:
|
|> tutorial PhotoRec
|> http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=e...G=Search&meta=
|> http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/PhotoRec_Step_By_Step
|> http://preview.tinyurl.com/ytbkba
|
| Excellent! Will try. I thought this was going to be easy to rescue the RAW
| disk thousands of photos but it has turned out to not be intuitive. It's
| like working with unexploded ordnance ... even simple things become
| difficult without precise instructions as hit or miss doesn't work with
| photo rescue efforts.

Precise instructions to recover depend on first knowing precisely what is wrong.
Neither of us know what that is.

This is more of a forensics situation. If my goal is just to recover, then I
work to find out what is there so I can figure out what to do to recover. If
the drive is physically readable, then the next think I look at is of the MBR
is consistent. If so, then I check to see if the partitions are what I think
they should be. If so, then I see if I can mount them in READ ONLY mode.

One problem with all this is that there are few filesystem types that Windows
knows how to read. So if I have a situation like this with an external drive
on Windows, that drive gets moved to another computer running Linux, and the
two computers get networked together (but not to the internet). Then I can do
a file share to let Windows get the files back and store them on a new empty
drive.