Velocity Reviews

Velocity Reviews (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/index.php)
-   ASP .Net (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/f29-asp-net.html)
-   -   acts like an anchor, i.e., links to another page, but looks like a button (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t646181-acts-like-an-anchor-i-e-links-to-another-page-but-looks-like-a-button.html)

AAaron123 11-26-2008 04:44 PM

acts like an anchor, i.e., links to another page, but looks like a button
 
I like something that acts like an anchor, i.e., links to another page, but
looks like a button.

I can use this: asp:LinkButton but the corners are square so it looks
different that a regular button.



I tried defined a css class and do this:

<a class="button" href="whatever.com">Anchor Button</a>

I did not succeed (yet), but I'm quite sure it to will not look like a
normal button because the border will have square corners.



Is there a solution without using themes?



Any answer, especially "No" so I stop trying, would be appreciated.









teddysnips@hotmail.com 11-26-2008 04:54 PM

Re: acts like an anchor, i.e., links to another page, but looks likea button
 
On Nov 26, 4:44*pm, "AAaron123" <aaaron...@roadrunner.com> wrote:
> I like something that acts like an anchor, i.e., links to another page, but
> looks like a button.
>
> *I can use this: asp:LinkButton but the corners are square so it looks
> different that a regular button.
>
> I tried defined a css class and do this:
>
> <a class="button" href="whatever.com">Anchor Button</a>
>
> I did not succeed (yet), but I'm quite sure it to will not look like a
> normal button because the border will have square corners.
>
> Is there a solution without using themes?
>
> Any answer, especially "No" so I stop trying, would be appreciated.


An image? You can attach an href to an image element.

Edward

Hillbilly 11-26-2008 04:55 PM

Re: acts like an anchor, i.e., links to another page, but looks like a button
 
To create the look and feel you need to learn more about CSS; pseudo-classes
in particular and also how to make buttons. Thirdly you need to learn
ASP.NET and understand we can add runat="server" to any HTML element and
process it on the server. Finally learn how to read Backus-Naur format and
naming conventions as its how software developers document and discuss
examples as this one that follows...

// ASP.NET HTML Control
<a href="[hrefValue]" class="[className]" runat="server">[anchorText]</a>



"AAaron123" <aaaron123@roadrunner.com> wrote in message
news:eMWc4Y%23TJHA.3668@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl...
>I like something that acts like an anchor, i.e., links to another page, but
>looks like a button.
>
> I can use this: asp:LinkButton but the corners are square so it looks
> different that a regular button.
>
>
>
> I tried defined a css class and do this:
>
> <a class="button" href="whatever.com">Anchor Button</a>
>
> I did not succeed (yet), but I'm quite sure it to will not look like a
> normal button because the border will have square corners.
>
>
>
> Is there a solution without using themes?
>
>
>
> Any answer, especially "No" so I stop trying, would be appreciated.
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>



AAaron123 11-26-2008 05:51 PM

Re: acts like an anchor, i.e., links to another page, but looks like a button
 
I don't know if I want to laugh or cry.

Thanks

"Mark Rae [MVP]" <mark@markNOSPAMrae.net> wrote in message
news:egix71%23TJHA.1172@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl...
> "AAaron123" <aaaron123@roadrunner.com> wrote in message
> news:eMWc4Y%23TJHA.3668@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl...
>
>> I like something that acts like an anchor, i.e., links to another page,
>> but looks like a button.

>
> Hmm - something which looks like a button, eh? How about a button...?
>
> <input type="button" value="Anchor Button"
> onclick="window.location='whichever.com';" />
>
>
> --
> Mark Rae
> ASP.NET MVP
> http://www.markrae.net




AAaron123 11-26-2008 05:51 PM

Re: acts like an anchor, i.e., links to another page, but looks like a button
 
thanks
"Hillbilly" <somebody@somewhere.com> wrote in message
news:eId9Kf%23TJHA.1160@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
> To create the look and feel you need to learn more about CSS;
> pseudo-classes in particular and also how to make buttons. Thirdly you
> need to learn ASP.NET and understand we can add runat="server" to any HTML
> element and process it on the server. Finally learn how to read
> Backus-Naur format and naming conventions as its how software developers
> document and discuss examples as this one that follows...
>
> // ASP.NET HTML Control
> <a href="[hrefValue]" class="[className]" runat="server">[anchorText]</a>
>
>
>
> "AAaron123" <aaaron123@roadrunner.com> wrote in message
> news:eMWc4Y%23TJHA.3668@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl...
>>I like something that acts like an anchor, i.e., links to another page,
>>but looks like a button.
>>
>> I can use this: asp:LinkButton but the corners are square so it looks
>> different that a regular button.
>>
>>
>>
>> I tried defined a css class and do this:
>>
>> <a class="button" href="whatever.com">Anchor Button</a>
>>
>> I did not succeed (yet), but I'm quite sure it to will not look like a
>> normal button because the border will have square corners.
>>
>>
>>
>> Is there a solution without using themes?
>>
>>
>>
>> Any answer, especially "No" so I stop trying, would be appreciated.
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>

>




AAaron123 11-26-2008 05:51 PM

Re: acts like an anchor, i.e., links to another page, but looks like a button
 
thanks
<teddysnips@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:ab86ad7c-2da3-4a08-94db-6328dc43ab30@s20g2000yqh.googlegroups.com...
On Nov 26, 4:44 pm, "AAaron123" <aaaron...@roadrunner.com> wrote:
> I like something that acts like an anchor, i.e., links to another page,
> but
> looks like a button.
>
> I can use this: asp:LinkButton but the corners are square so it looks
> different that a regular button.
>
> I tried defined a css class and do this:
>
> <a class="button" href="whatever.com">Anchor Button</a>
>
> I did not succeed (yet), but I'm quite sure it to will not look like a
> normal button because the border will have square corners.
>
> Is there a solution without using themes?
>
> Any answer, especially "No" so I stop trying, would be appreciated.


An image? You can attach an href to an image element.

Edward



AAaron123 11-26-2008 05:54 PM

Re: acts like an anchor, i.e., links to another page, but looks like a button
 

> "Mark Rae [MVP]" <mark@markNOSPAMrae.net> wrote in message
> news:egix71%23TJHA.1172@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl...
>> "AAaron123" <aaaron123@roadrunner.com> wrote in message
>> news:eMWc4Y%23TJHA.3668@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl...
>>
>>> I like something that acts like an anchor, i.e., links to another page,
>>> but looks like a button.

>>
>> Hmm - something which looks like a button, eh? How about a button...?
>>
>> <input type="button" value="Anchor Button"
>> onclick="window.location='whichever.com';" />
>>
>>
>> --
>> Mark Rae
>> ASP.NET MVP
>> http://www.markrae.net

>



"AAaron123" <aaaron123@roadrunner.com> wrote in message
news:eUqEN%23%23TJHA.1332@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
>I don't know if I want to laugh or cry.
>
> Thanks
> >

Habits are hard to break



bruce barker 11-26-2008 07:24 PM

Re: acts like an anchor, i.e., links to another page, but looks li
 
unlike an anchor, this requires javascript be enabled. an anchor with an
image is probably a better choice.

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)


"Mark Rae [MVP]" wrote:

> "AAaron123" <aaaron123@roadrunner.com> wrote in message
> news:eMWc4Y%23TJHA.3668@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl...
>
> > I like something that acts like an anchor, i.e., links to another page,
> > but looks like a button.

>
> Hmm - something which looks like a button, eh? How about a button...?
>
> <input type="button" value="Anchor Button"
> onclick="window.location='whichever.com';" />
>
>
> --
> Mark Rae
> ASP.NET MVP
> http://www.markrae.net
>
>


AAaron123 11-26-2008 08:04 PM

Re: acts like an anchor, i.e., links to another page, but looks li
 
I'd like ask a couple of questions just to be sure:

To get the rounded corners I'd have to make a .gif with transparent color in
the corners?

The text would be part of the image so I'd need an image for each different
text?

Are there many people with JavaScript disabled (this impacts other things)?

Thanks for the suggestion


"bruce barker" <brucebarker@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:054DE921-2F95-45A4-9300-0AC7CD33EF5C@microsoft.com...
> unlike an anchor, this requires javascript be enabled. an anchor with an
> image is probably a better choice.
>
> -- bruce (sqlwork.com)
>
>
> "Mark Rae [MVP]" wrote:
>
>> "AAaron123" <aaaron123@roadrunner.com> wrote in message
>> news:eMWc4Y%23TJHA.3668@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl...
>>
>> > I like something that acts like an anchor, i.e., links to another page,
>> > but looks like a button.

>>
>> Hmm - something which looks like a button, eh? How about a button...?
>>
>> <input type="button" value="Anchor Button"
>> onclick="window.location='whichever.com';" />
>>
>>
>> --
>> Mark Rae
>> ASP.NET MVP
>> http://www.markrae.net
>>
>>




AAaron123 11-26-2008 10:09 PM

Re: acts like an anchor, i.e., links to another page, but looks li
 

"Mark Rae [MVP]" <mark@markNOSPAMrae.net> wrote in message
news:OKpaxaAUJHA.3648@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
> "AAaron123" <aaaron123@roadrunner.com> wrote in message
> news:%23Yst1IAUJHA.4372@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
>
>>>>> I like something that acts like an anchor, i.e., links to another
>>>>> page,
>>>>> but looks like a button.
>>>>
>>>> Hmm - something which looks like a button, eh? How about a button...?
>>>>
>>>> <input type="button" value="Anchor Button"
>>>> onclick="window.location='whichever.com';" />
>>>
>>> Unlike an anchor, this requires JavaScript be enabled. An anchor with an
>>> image is probably a better choice.

>>
>> To get the rounded corners I'd have to make a .gif with transparent color
>> in the corners?

>
> Yes, pretty much.
>
>> The text would be part of the image so I'd need an image for each
>> different text?

>
> Or create the image dynamically at runtime...
>
>> Are there many people with JavaScript disabled (this impacts other
>> things)?

>
> About 6%: http://www.thecounter.com/stats/2008/October/javas.php
>
>
> --
> Mark Rae
> ASP.NET MVP
> http://www.markrae.net


How do most developers handle the 6%?

Ignore that fact that their site will not function perfectly on those
browsers?

Not use javascript?

Check to see if it is supported and provide alternate code?

??


Thanks


PS Do you have any idea why some people would use a javascript non-enabled
browser?







All times are GMT. The time now is 07:37 PM.

Powered by vBulletin®. Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.