Velocity Reviews

-   -   Re: Need sata power cable, Have data cable. (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t645773-re-need-sata-power-cable-have-data-cable.html)

VanguardLH 11-23-2008 10:30 PM

jakeJ@moll.con wrote:

> I found one for hard drive. Is the same one used for Sata DVD burner?

Yep, just like the old IDE data cable worked for both hard drive and
CD/DVD drive, too.

Alas another so-called freebie Teranews users where the cost is they
spamify every one of your posts through their server, and without the
consideration of sticking their crap in a signature but instead in the
body of your post. You have elected to be their spam associate.

Evan Platt 11-24-2008 12:11 AM

On Sun, 23 Nov 2008 17:50:53 -0500, jakeJ@moll.con wrote:

>Sorry will try to make it go away with a lot of spaces, just don't
>scroll down.

Instead of also wasting space, add a signature - the appropriate
signature deliminiator - two dashes and a space, ie

VanguardLH 11-24-2008 03:40 AM

Evan Platt wrote:

> On Sun, 23 Nov 2008 17:50:53 -0500, jakeJ@moll.con wrote:
>
>>Sorry will try to make it go away with a lot of spaces, just don't
>>scroll down.

> Instead of also wasting space, add a signature - the appropriate
> signature deliminiator - two dashes and a space, ie

Hmm, might adding a sigdash line (for the delimiter for your signature)
then force Tera's appended spam trash to be within the signature? That
would assuage many readers that don't care for spamified posts (because
they can elect to truncate or dim the signature section).

VanguardLH 11-24-2008 03:48 AM

jakeJ@moll.con wrote:

> On Sun, 23 Nov 2008 16:30:20 -0600, VanguardLH <V@nguard.LH> wrote:
>
>>jakeJ@moll.con wrote:
>>
>>> I found one for hard drive. Is the same one used for Sata DVD burner?

>>Yep, just like the old IDE data cable worked for both hard drive and
>>CD/DVD drive, too.

>>Alas another so-called freebie Teranews users where the cost is they
>>spamify every one of your posts through their server, and without the
>>consideration of sticking their crap in a signature but instead in the
>>body of your post. You have elected to be their spam associate.

> Sorry will try to make it go away with a lot of spaces, just don't
> scroll down.
> http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?...f8bb8abfa6c889
>
> This is the one that seems to be ok. I guess the sata board has spare
> 4 pin molex plug availability?
> I guess the connections will manifest themselves once I am in the
> computer.

There is the SATA data cable. And there is the SATA power cable. See
http://www.pcstats.com/articleimages...H62N_sata2.jpg (power
cable on left, data cable on right). If your power supply has no SATA
power connectors then, yes, you need to get the Molex adapter.

When I build a host, I include a PSU with the necessary connector types
for both the hardware that I am putting inside the box plus connector
types for other hardware that I am likely to add later. Some PSUs are
even modular in that you only need to plug in the cables that you need
to use with the current hardware configuration but they tend to be much
pricier than a PSU that includes full complement of connector types
(which makes the cable bundle much larger and you have to wire tie the
unused cables out of the way).

So you might want to look inside at the cables from the PSU to see if it
already includes SATA power connectors. If it was a prebuilt, the PSU
is minimal and designed to handle only the hardware that is installed in
the host or with extremely few spare connectors of other types if
hardware can be selected in a pre-build config that includes that other
hardware. Don't expect much expandability with pre-built hosts to
accommodate future hardware additions or changes.