Velocity Reviews

-   -   Networking and File Sharing Problems (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t645444-networking-and-file-sharing-problems.html)

ColTom2 11-21-2008 01:57 AM

Networking and File Sharing Problems

Hi:

I have a Sony desktop with Linksys wireless router BEFW1154 and Toshiba
laptop with Linksys Adapter. Everything was fine until today when I went to
check File Sharing with the desktop and it did not show sharing the two
folders (My Documents & Local folder) for my laptop. I can check the File
Sharing with the laptop and it shows these same two folders on my desktop
which I also have file sharing with no problems. Both these folders on both
computers have File Sharing settings.

In trying to correct this I might have added a further problem. I still
can connect with both computers to my cable ISP Comcast with no problems.
However, on the desktop it now shows for Local Area Connection Connected,
Firewalled and Device Intel(R) PRO/100 VE Network Connection. On my laptop
it shows Local Area Connection, Network Cable Unplugged. Device Realtek
RTL8139/810x Family Fast Internet NIC. Previously I am sure that my desktop
showed the Device the same as my laptop (Realtek RTL8139/810x Family Fast
Internet NIC), but now different devices are shown.

In addition, previously I had only one Local Area Connection icon showing
in my laptop with no red X and now I have two icons showing one with the rex
X and the other without.

One other item of note is that my laptop now shows Wireless Network
Connection (2) and Device Wireless-G Notebook Adapter (2). I don't recall it
indicating the (2) like it's a reinstall etc?

Hopefully someone can get me straightened out again.

Thanks,

ColTom2

Jack \(MVP-Networking\). 11-21-2008 03:38 AM

Re: Networking and File Sharing Problems

Hi
The number tow does not indicate two connections. It is just a form of ID.
Many modern Desktops have two Network card (usually onboard), and most
Laptop have Wire and Wireless Network cards.
It is hard to know which one you relate to.
This might help to find the reason for the trouble.
http://www.ezlan.net/debug.html
http://www.ezlan.net/wireless.html
Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

ColTom2 11-21-2008 11:38 PM

Re: Networking and File Sharing Problems

Hi:

I solved the Network Connection double icon problem in the Taskbar by
disabling LAN.

However, I still cannot share laptop folders with desktop, but can share
desktop folders with laptop. Hopefully someone has an answer to this.
Previously I could share these folders with both desktop and laptop without
any problems.

Help!

Jim 11-22-2008 12:21 AM

> Hi:
>
> I solved the Network Connection double icon problem in the Taskbar by
> disabling LAN.
>
> However, I still cannot share laptop folders with desktop, but can share
> desktop folders with laptop. Hopefully someone has an answer to this.
> Previously I could share these folders with both desktop and laptop
> without
> any problems.
>
> Help!
>

> "Jack (MVP-Networking)." <jack@discussiongroup.com> wrote in message
> Hi
> The number tow does not indicate two connections. It is just a form of ID.
> Many modern Desktops have two Network card (usually onboard), and most
> Laptop have Wire and Wireless Network cards.
> It is hard to know which one you relate to.
> This might help to find the reason for the trouble.
> http://www.ezlan.net/debug.html
> http://www.ezlan.net/wireless.html
> Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)
>

> "ColTom2" <noemailaddress@nomail.com> wrote in message
>> Hi:
>>
>> I have a Sony desktop with Linksys wireless router BEFW1154 and Toshiba
>> laptop with Linksys Adapter. Everything was fine until today when I went
>> check File Sharing with the desktop and it did not show sharing the two
>> folders (My Documents & Local folder) for my laptop. I can check the File
>> Sharing with the laptop and it shows these same two folders on my desktop
>> which I also have file sharing with no problems. Both these folders on
>> both
>> computers have File Sharing settings.
>>
>> In trying to correct this I might have added a further problem. I still
>> can connect with both computers to my cable ISP Comcast with no problems.
>> However, on the desktop it now shows for Local Area Connection Connected,
>> Firewalled and Device Intel(R) PRO/100 VE Network Connection. On my
>> laptop
>> it shows Local Area Connection, Network Cable Unplugged. Device Realtek
>> RTL8139/810x Family Fast Internet NIC. Previously I am sure that my
>> desktop
>> showed the Device the same as my laptop (Realtek RTL8139/810x Family Fast
>> Internet NIC), but now different devices are shown.
>>
>> In addition, previously I had only one Local Area Connection icon
>> showing
>> in my laptop with no red X and now I have two icons showing one with the
>> rex
>> X and the other without.
>>
>> One other item of note is that my laptop now shows Wireless Network
>> Connection (2) and Device Wireless-G Notebook Adapter (2). I don't recall
>> it
>> indicating the (2) like it's a reinstall etc?
>>
>> Hopefully someone can get me straightened out again.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> ColTom2

Can the desktop ping the laptop?
Jim

ColTom2 11-22-2008 01:07 AM

Re: Networking and File Sharing Problems

Hi Jim:

Would you be so kind as to tell me how to get the desktop to ping my
laptop.

Thanks

ColTom2 11-22-2008 01:41 AM

Re: Networking and File Sharing Problems

Hi Jim:

Yes I can ping my laptop from my desktop. I have messed with so much today
that my head is all turned around. Any more suggestions?