Velocity Reviews

-   -   Gradwell down 21/11/08..? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t645438-gradwell-down-21-11-08-a.html)

Ivor Jones 11-21-2008 12:38 AM

Gradwell down 21/11/08..?

Just arrived home from work to find my Gradwell number not registering and
all the website addresses I've tried are unreachable.

*Very* unusual this as Gradwell are normally extremely reliable.

Anyone else having problems..?

Ivor

Ivor Jones 11-21-2008 08:44 AM

Re: Gradwell down 21/11/08..?

In news:J4adnbZ2dfvL8bvUnZ2dnUVZ8vudnZ2d@posted.plusn et,
Andy Burns <usenet.nov2008@adslpipe.co.uk> typed, for some strange,
unexplained reason:
: Ivor Jones wrote:
:
: > Just arrived home from work to find my Gradwell number not
: > registering and all the website addresses I've tried are
: > unreachable.
:
: http://www.gradwellstatus.com/

Works but doesn't give an answer to my question.
https://voip.gradwell.net/login/va_status is down.

Ivor

Ivor Jones 11-22-2008 10:16 AM

Re: Gradwell down 21/11/08..?

In news:hZOdnaau6PEEvbrUnZ2dnUVZ8qydnZ2d@posted.plusn et,
Andy Burns <usenet.nov2008@adslpipe.co.uk> typed, for some strange,
unexplained reason:
: Ivor Jones wrote:
:
: > Andy Burns wrote:
: >
: >> http://www.gradwellstatus.com/
: >
: > Works but doesn't give an answer to my question.
:
: Either of these entries relevant?
:
: Orange customers cannot reach Gradwell services

Ah, that wasn't there when I looked ;-)

It seems to be that, but I can't get Orange to understand that there is a
problem. The 5p/min "technical support" in India refuses to accept what I
am saying, claiming they can't reach the Gradwell website (!) and keep
asking me what router I am using etc. I told them the problem is their end
not mine, but no joy, in the end I put the phone down on the fool.

Before anyone tells me to change my ISP, well maybe I should but it isn't
going to solve the immediate problem immediately, is it..?!

Ivor

mymail@hotmail.co.uk 11-22-2008 05:26 PM

Re: Gradwell down 21/11/08..?

On Sat, 22 Nov 2008 10:16:55 -0000, "Ivor Jones"
<ivor@thisaddressis.invalid> wrote:

>Before anyone tells me to change my ISP, well maybe I should but it isn't
>going to solve the immediate problem immediately, is it..?!

Only kids and trouble are got by being in a hurry Ivor ! .

Ivor Jones 11-22-2008 05:58 PM

Re: Gradwell down 21/11/08..?

In news:mn.b26c7d8b18d171c5.88534@blueyonder.invalid,
Jono <nothanks@blueyonder.invalid> typed, for some strange, unexplained
reason:

[snip]

: Does changing DNS servers help any?
:
: As a test, try using OpenDNS's servers at 208.67.222.222 &
: 208.67.220.220

No facility to do that on the Fritz!Box unfortunately :-(

Ivor

Ivor Jones 11-22-2008 08:55 PM

Re: Gradwell down 21/11/08..?

In news:mn.b4437d8b534285c5.88534@blueyonder.invalid,
Jono <nothanks@blueyonder.invalid> typed, for some strange, unexplained
reason:
: Ivor Jones used his keyboard to write :
: > In news:mn.b26c7d8b18d171c5.88534@blueyonder.invalid,
: > Jono <nothanks@blueyonder.invalid> typed, for some strange,
: > unexplained reason:
: >
: > [snip]
: >
: >> Does changing DNS servers help any?
: >>
: >> As a test, try using OpenDNS's servers at 208.67.222.222 &
: >> 208.67.220.220
: >
: > No facility to do that on the Fritz!Box unfortunately :-(
:
:
: Erm, you'd do it in the router....

Erm.. the Fritz!Box *is* the router...

http://www.avm.de/en/Produkte/FRITZB...LAN/index.html

Ivor

Ivor Jones 11-22-2008 09:37 PM

Re: Gradwell down 21/11/08..?

In news:mn.b4fa7d8b5ae85ad2.88534@blueyonder.invalid,
Jono <nothanks@blueyonder.invalid> typed, for some strange, unexplained
reason:

[snip]

: >> Erm, you'd do it in the router....
: >
: > Erm.. the Fritz!Box *is* the router...
: >
: > http://www.avm.de/en/Produkte/FRITZB...LAN/index.html
:
: Oh, I thought you had the ATA version.
:
: I am amazed there is nowhere in the config to change the DNS server
: addresses.

Not that I can see, no :-(

Ivor

Ivor Jones 11-23-2008 01:33 AM

Re: Gradwell down 21/11/08..?

In news:6orcd2F4fbbeU1@mid.individual.net,
Ivor Jones <ivor@thisaddressis.invalid> typed, for some strange,
unexplained reason:
: In news:mn.b4fa7d8b5ae85ad2.88534@blueyonder.invalid,
: Jono <nothanks@blueyonder.invalid> typed, for some strange,
: unexplained reason:
:
: [snip]
:
: : >> Erm, you'd do it in the router....
: : >
: : > Erm.. the Fritz!Box *is* the router...
: : >
: : > http://www.avm.de/en/Produkte/FRITZB...LAN/index.html
: :
: : Oh, I thought you had the ATA version.
: :
: : I am amazed there is nowhere in the config to change the DNS server
: : addresses.
:
: Not that I can see, no :-(
:
: Ivor

Update: I've just programmed up an old Sipura SPA-2000 with the Gradwell
settings, using the OpenDNS IP addresses you gave me and still no joy.

It seems to be only customers of Orange that are affected; I can access
www.gradwell.com from work but not from home, I can't try an ATA there as
the company firewall blocks the ports.

I have tried in vain to convince Orange India "Tech Support" that a
problem exists, they seem unable to deviate from the "what router are you
using, is it a Livebox.." type of script. Gradwell say that the problem
lies within Orange and not them or their number suppliers so I am now at a
loss. I am paying Gradwell for a service I am not receiving but it seems
it isn't their fault. What's the next step..?

Ivor

Gordon Henderson 11-23-2008 08:43 AM

Re: Gradwell down 21/11/08..?

In article <6orq6sF54ugfU1@mid.individual.net>,

Can you ping/traceroute to 195.74.61.163 (the IP of www.gradwell.com)

>It seems to be only customers of Orange that are affected; I can access
>www.gradwell.com from work but not from home, I can't try an ATA there as
>the company firewall blocks the ports.
>
>I have tried in vain to convince Orange India "Tech Support" that a
>problem exists, they seem unable to deviate from the "what router are you
>using, is it a Livebox.." type of script. Gradwell say that the problem
>lies within Orange and not them or their number suppliers so I am now at a
>loss. I am paying Gradwell for a service I am not receiving but it seems
>it isn't their fault. What's the next step..?

Trust Gradwell. They're highly likely to be right in this instance
and they are unable to control parts of the Internet they don't own.

Your next step is to ask Orange for a MAC and move to an ISP that
cares. Of-coruse you'll have to pay a little more, but it'll be worth
it. Pick one with a UK call centre.

Gordon

Ivor Jones 11-23-2008 10:18 AM

Re: Gradwell down 21/11/08..?

In news:RfKdnWj0wLpMJ7XUnZ2dnUVZ8jGdnZ2d@posted.plusn et,
: Ivor Jones wrote:
:
: > I have tried in vain to convince Orange India "Tech Support" that a
: > problem exists, they seem unable to deviate from the "what router
: > are you using, is it a Livebox.." type of script. Gradwell say that
: > the problem lies within Orange and not them or their number
: > suppliers so I am now at a loss. I am paying Gradwell for a service
: > I am not receiving but it seems it isn't their fault. What's the
: > next step..?
:
: Are you also unable to access www.digitalspy.co.uk? They too are
: reporting orange specific connection problems.

No, can't get that either. Strange thing is I can ping all the sites fine,
but can't connect and SIP isn't registering.

Ivor