Velocity Reviews

-   -   Refresh Trigger (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t644043-refresh-trigger.html)

Peter 11-11-2008 11:10 PM

Refresh Trigger

ASP.NET 3.5

I have a web page and this web page has a DataList, when user hovers the
mouse over a picture in the datalist a popup appers, this popup is a User
Control and it has a cancel button. After the user clicks on the cancel
button I want the DataList to refresh its self. How can I do that - how can
I tell the DataList or the parent web page to refresh it's self from the
Popup / User Control?

Thank You

Peter

bruce barker 11-12-2008 01:59 AM

Re: Refresh Trigger

this need to be done in javascript. you can call routine in the
window.opener to do a postback.

a better design would be to use a floating div instead of a new window.
then list could be updated with a simple postback.

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)

Peter 11-12-2008 03:59 PM

Re: Refresh Trigger

"bruce barker" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
> this need to be done in javascript. you can call routine in the
> window.opener to do a postback.
>
> a better design would be to use a floating div instead of a new window.
> then list could be updated with a simple postback.
>
> -- bruce (sqlwork.com)
>
> Peter wrote:
>> ASP.NET 3.5
>>
>> I have a web page and this web page has a DataList, when user hovers the
>> mouse over a picture in the datalist a popup appers, this popup is a User
>> Control and it has a cancel button. After the user clicks on the cancel
>> button I want the DataList to refresh its self. How can I do that - how
>> can I tell the DataList or the parent web page to refresh it's self from
>> the Popup / User Control?
>>

>> Thank You
>>

>> Peter

I've tried window.location.reload();
which works, but it refreshes the entire window and I would like to refresh
only the UpdatePanel where the DataList resides?

Is there a way to do that?

Allen Chen [MSFT] 11-13-2008 02:10 AM

Re: Refresh Trigger

Hi Peter,

To refresh the UpdatePanel we need to get the UpdatePanel client id first.
You can view source of the page at client side to find it. Then we can
call this function in JavaScript to refresh the UpdatePanel:

__doPostBack("UpdatePanel_ClientID","args here. You can pass any strings");

Please have a try and let me know if it works.

Regards,
Allen Chen
Microsoft Online Support

msdnmg@microsoft.com.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/subs.../aa948874.aspx
--------------------

Peter 11-13-2008 03:19 AM

Re: Refresh Trigger

"Allen Chen [MSFT]" <v-alchen@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi Peter,
>
> To refresh the UpdatePanel we need to get the UpdatePanel client id first.
> You can view source of the page at client side to find it. Then we can
> call this function in JavaScript to refresh the UpdatePanel:
>
> __doPostBack("UpdatePanel_ClientID","args here. You can pass any
> strings");
>

> Please have a try and let me know if it works.
>
> Regards,
> Allen Chen
> Microsoft Online Support

> msdnmg@microsoft.com.

> http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/subs...#notifications.
>
> Note: MSDN Managed Newsgroup support offering is for non-urgent issues
> Engineer within 2 business day is acceptable. Please note that each follow
> that require urgent, real-time or phone-based interactions. Issues of this
> nature are best handled working with a dedicated Microsoft Support
> Engineer
> by contacting Microsoft Customer Support Services (CSS) at
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/subs.../aa948874.aspx
> rights.
> --------------------
> | From: "Peter" <czupet@nospam.nospam>
> | Subject: Re: Refresh Trigger
> | Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2008 09:59:26 -0600
> | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet
> |

> | "bruce barker" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
> | > this need to be done in javascript. you can call routine in the
> | > window.opener to do a postback.
> | >
> | > a better design would be to use a floating div instead of a new
> window.
> | > then list could be updated with a simple postback.
> | >
> | > -- bruce (sqlwork.com)

> the
> User
> cancel
> how
> from

> | I've tried window.location.reload();
> | which works, but it refreshes the entire window and I would like to
> refresh
> | only the UpdatePanel where the DataList resides?
> |
> | Is there a way to do that?

Thank You !

That works!