Velocity Reviews

-   -   Nesting object tags in ASP 3.0, ASP.NET & Internet Explorer (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t64367-nesting-object-tags-in-asp-3-0-asp-net-and-internet-explorer.html)

DeadlyTedly 10-15-2003 03:20 PM

Nesting object tags in ASP 3.0, ASP.NET & Internet Explorer

Hi,

I'm attempting to make use of nested object tags (in HTML) as per the
w3c standard here:

http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/stru....html#h-13.3.1

This details the HTML 4.01 Specification with regard to object tags.
When I create a nested object in an ASP page, I get the following server
error:

Active Server Pages error 'ASP 0139'

Nested Object

/WebProject2/test.asp, line 5

An object tag cannot be placed inside another object tag.

If I create it in an html file, the outer object tag is rendered, as are
all of the child object tags too.

So...

ASP seems to totally disallow nested object tags.
Internet Explorer renders all of them regardless.
The w3c spec seems to say that each object tag will be rendered in turn
and once one is found which works, no more child object tags will be
rendered.

Guidence on whether or not this has been raised as an issue, or if it
even is would be greatly appreciated. This is hindering conversion of a
website at work to WAI compliance.

Thanks,

Ted Bradley

Natty Gur 10-15-2003 05:24 PM

Re: Nesting object tags in ASP 3.0, ASP.NET & Internet Explorer

Hi,

asp.xsd is the schema that ASP.NET use to vlidate HTML. check if that
schema enable nesting tags (you can always update the schema)

Natty Gur[MVP]
Phone Numbers:
Office: +972-(0)9-7740261
Fax: +972-(0)9-7740261
Mobile: +972-(0)58-888377

Ted Bradley 10-16-2003 08:32 AM

Re: Nesting object tags in ASP 3.0, ASP.NET & Internet Explorer

Hi,

Just checked through the asp.xsd in the Microsoft Visual Studio .NET and
can't find a reference to object.

(D:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET
2003\Common7\Packages\schemas\xml\asp.xsd)

Also worth noting that when I target the page for Internet Explorer 5.0,
Visual Studio does not complain, it's only IIS which produces the error.

Thanks,

Ted