Velocity Reviews

-   -   eclipse tutorial needed for project that already exists (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t643280-eclipse-tutorial-needed-for-project-that-already-exists.html)

marlow.andrew@googlemail.com 11-06-2008 02:51 PM

eclipse tutorial needed for project that already exists

Hello,

I need to learn eclipse and I am struggling. In particular I need to
set up eclipse for a project that already exists. All tht tutorials I
have seen so far assume the project is empty, i.e does not exist. Can
anyone suggest where I should start please?

-Andrew Marlow

Lew 11-06-2008 03:14 PM

Re: eclipse tutorial needed for project that already exists

marlow.andrew@googlemail.com wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I need to learn eclipse and I am struggling. In particular I need to
> set up eclipse for a project that already exists. All tht tutorials I
> have seen so far assume the project is empty, i.e does not exist. Can
> anyone suggest where I should start please?

Menu: File / Import...

--
Lew

marlow.andrew@googlemail.com 11-06-2008 04:03 PM

On 6 Nov, 15:14, Lew <no...@lewscanon.com> wrote:
> marlow.and...@googlemail.com wrote:
> > Hello,

> > I need to learn eclipse and I am struggling. In particular I need to
> > set up eclipse for a project that already exists. All tht tutorials I
> > have seen so far assume the project is empty, i.e does not exist. Can
> > anyone suggest where I should start please?

> Menu: File / Import...
>
> --
> Lew

I thought I had tried this before and hit problems. I am worried that
it will not do the right thing because the directory contains stuff
that svn created.

marlow.andrew@googlemail.com 11-06-2008 04:16 PM

On 6 Nov, 16:03, marlow.and...@googlemail.com wrote:
> On 6 Nov, 15:14, Lew <no...@lewscanon.com> wrote:
>
> > marlow.and...@googlemail.com wrote:
> > > Hello,

> > > I need to learn eclipse and I am struggling. In particular I need to
> > > set up eclipse for a project that already exists. All tht tutorials I
> > > have seen so far assume the project is empty, i.e does not exist. Can
> > > anyone suggest where I should start please?

> > Menu: File / Import...

> > --
> > Lew

> I thought I had tried this before and hit problems. I am worried that
> it will not do the right thing because the directory contains stuff
> that svn created.

I started to try it and yes, sure enough, all the .svn directories
throughout the structure and marked for import. It is a pain to go
through and manually de-select them. Surely there must be a better
way.

Wojtek 11-06-2008 04:25 PM

Re: eclipse tutorial needed for project that already exists

marlow.andrew@googlemail.com wrote :
> Hello,
>
> I need to learn eclipse and I am struggling. In particular I need to
> set up eclipse for a project that already exists. All tht tutorials I
> have seen so far assume the project is empty, i.e does not exist. Can
> anyone suggest where I should start please?

go to http://www.eclipse.org/newsgroups/ and sign up, then ask the
question in the Eclipse forums

--
Wojtek :-)

Lew 11-06-2008 05:14 PM

Lew wrote:
>>> Menu: File / Import...

marlow.and...@googlemail.com wrote:
>> I thought I had tried this before and hit problems. I am worried that
>> it will not do the right thing because the directory contains stuff
>> that svn created.

I should think you would want that stuff.

Doesn't Eclipse integrate with SVN?

> I started to try it and yes, sure enough, all the .svn directories
> throughout the structure and marked for import. It is a pain to go
> through and manually de-select them. Surely there must be a better
> way.

Isn't deselecting them just a matter of unchecking some directory-
selection checkboxes?

If you don't import the SVN directories, you will have trouble staying
synched with the repository, won't you?

--
Lew

John B. Matthews 11-06-2008 05:22 PM

Re: eclipse tutorial needed for project that already exists

In article
<dfeaf4ef-8637-45ee-bec8-16b18fe3e426@c22g2000prc.googlegroups.com>,

Have you installed Subclipse? <http://subclipse.tigris.org/>

--
John B. Matthews
trashgod at gmail dot com

Tom Anderson 11-06-2008 05:27 PM

On Thu, 6 Nov 2008, marlow.andrew@googlemail.com wrote:

> On 6 Nov, 16:03, marlow.and...@googlemail.com wrote:

>>> Menu: File / Import...

>> I thought I had tried this before and hit problems. I am worried that
>> it will not do the right thing because the directory contains stuff
>> that svn created.

> I started to try it and yes, sure enough, all the .svn directories
> throughout the structure and marked for import. It is a pain to go
> through and manually de-select them. Surely there must be a better
> way.

One option would be to make a copy of the project's tree, then
automatically delete all the SVN stuff - something like (from the project
root directory):

find -print0 . -type d -name .svn | xargs -0 rm -rf

If you're using windows rather than unix, you'll need to unstall the
coreutils and findutils packages from GnuWin32 first:

http://gnuwin32.sourceforge.net/packages.html

There may be a similar way to do this operation using windows's own
command-line tools, but i don't know those well enough to say.

You can use a similar command line to purge any other files you don't want
imported.

Another, and probably better, option would be to install Subclipse and
check the project out into Eclipse directly from the svn repository. If
you don't want to continue working with the repository, you can then
disconnect the project from it - something like Team > Disconnect, i
think.

tom

--
Thinking about it, history begins now -- sarah

Arne Vajh°j 11-06-2008 05:29 PM

Lew wrote:
> Doesn't Eclipse integrate with SVN?

http://www.eclipse.org/subversive/
http://subclipse.tigris.org/
etc.

Arne

Lew 11-06-2008 08:37 PM

Tom Anderson wrote:
> One option would be to make a copy of the project's tree, then
> automatically delete all the SVN stuff - something like (from the project
> root directory):
>
> find -print0 . -type d -name .svn | xargs -0 rm -rf
>
> If you're using windows rather than unix, you'll need to unstall the
> coreutils and findutils packages from GnuWin32 first:

Or the Cygwin utilities, which give an entire bash (or other) shell
and related UNIX-like environment to Windows:

<http://cygwin.com/>

--
Lew