Velocity Reviews

-   -   Lexmark 600 series printer problem (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t643274-lexmark-600-series-printer-problem.html)

Sam Taylor 11-06-2008 02:16 PM

Lexmark 600 series printer problem

A neighbour is having some trouble with a Lexmark 617 printer in that it
refuses to print and although the cable are connected and the computer
can see the printer there is obviously a problem.

I have removed the printer and attempted to reinstall the drivers.
Windows recognises the new hardware but after running setup from the
original CD the installation fails without any explanation.

Anything I can consider. OS is XP SP3 computer a P4 with ca 384 MB of RAM.

hwأf 11-06-2008 03:55 PM

Re: Lexmark 600 series printer problem

On Thu, 06 Nov 2008 14:16:11 +0000, Sam Taylor aided th' terraists with
the following claims :

> A neighbour is having some trouble with a Lexmark 617 printer in that it
> refuses to print and although the cable are connected and the computer
> can see the printer there is obviously a problem.

Checked the cartriges, did you?
Hmmm...
Apparently not...

> I have removed the printer and attempted to reinstall the drivers.
> Windows recognises the new hardware but after running setup from the
> original CD the installation fails without any explanation.
>
> Anything I can consider. OS is XP SP3 computer a P4 with ca 384 MB of RAM.

How do you know theres ink in the sucker?
:(

http://i35.tinypic.com/2czc1ua.jpg

Sam Taylor 11-06-2008 04:18 PM

§ñühwØ£f wrote:
> On Thu, 06 Nov 2008 14:16:11 +0000, Sam Taylor aided th' terraists with
> the following claims :
>
>> A neighbour is having some trouble with a Lexmark 617 printer in that it
>> refuses to print and although the cable are connected and the computer
>> can see the printer there is obviously a problem.
>>

> Checked the cartriges, did you?
> Hmmm...
> Apparently not...

Well it did indicate (via voice synthesis) that there was a problem with
communicating with the printer and that I should check the cables etc...

chuckcar 11-06-2008 11:54 PM

Re: Lexmark 600 series printer problem

Sam Taylor <b2rcco@deletethisbit_btopenworld.com> wrote in

> A neighbour is having some trouble with a Lexmark 617 printer in that it
> refuses to print and although the cable are connected and the computer
> can see the printer there is obviously a problem.
>
> I have removed the printer and attempted to reinstall the drivers.
> Windows recognises the new hardware but after running setup from the
> original CD the installation fails without any explanation.
>
> Anything I can consider. OS is XP SP3 computer a P4 with ca 384 MB of
> RAM.

1. Is there a printer driver for it in printers?
2. Are there any "bubbles" - red or yellow in device manager.
3. If #1, can you print a test page from that driver.
4. When installing a printer, first see if there's a windows driver for it
by using the add new printer wizard in printers. That's what it's for. You
should get this if you just plug it in without installing drivers.

--
(setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

chuckcar 11-08-2008 06:11 PM

> On Fri, 7 Nov 2008 00:54:59 +0100 (CET), chuckcar <chuck@nil.car>
> wrote:
>
>>Sam Taylor <b2rcco@deletethisbit_btopenworld.com> wrote in
>>
>>> A neighbour is having some trouble with a Lexmark 617 printer in that
>>> it refuses to print and although the cable are connected and the
>>> computer can see the printer there is obviously a problem.
>>>
>>> I have removed the printer and attempted to reinstall the drivers.
>>> Windows recognises the new hardware but after running setup from the
>>> original CD the installation fails without any explanation.
>>>
>>> Anything I can consider. OS is XP SP3 computer a P4 with ca 384 MB of
>>> RAM.

>>1. Is there a printer driver for it in printers?

Start->settings->printers. Is there an icon named Lexmark 617? Does it
have a checkmark next to it?

>>2. Are there any "bubbles" - red or yellow in device manager.

Start-> settings-> control panel-> system->device manager

>>3. If #1, can you print a test page from that driver.

Right clich the icon for Lexmark 617 and left click on print test page.

>>4. When installing a printer, first see if there's a windows driver for
>>it by using the add new printer wizard in printers. That's what it's
>>for. You should get this if you just plug it in without installing
>>drivers.

> The error is stated as "specified print monitor is unknown".
>
> I could modify the config file but the edit is overwritten by the
> install process

Answer the questions please. Your reply isn't at all helpful.

--
(setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

chuckcar 11-08-2008 11:50 PM

>>Start->settings->printers. Is there an icon named Lexmark 617? Does it
>>have a checkmark next to it?

>>Start-> settings-> control panel-> system->device manager

>>Right clich the icon for Lexmark 617 and left click on print test page.

>>> The error is stated as "specified print monitor is unknown".
>>>
>>> I could modify the config file but the edit is overwritten by the
>>> install process

>>Answer the questions please. Your reply isn't at all helpful.

> The printer has been uninstalled. What I am trying to do is to
> re-instate the device. However, this fails at the last moment with a
> "specified print monitor is unknown" error.
>
> I have doe the above proceedure many times before but I have never had
> this type of failure,

Well, you're welcome to try to dream up some troubleshooting method on
your own, or you can follow my directions and see what the problem is.

--
(setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

hwأf 11-09-2008 04:26 PM

Re: Lexmark 600 series printer problem

On Sun, 09 Nov 2008 09:57:04 +0000, Nobody aided th' terraists with the
following claims :

>>Try this: download a new driver for the printer from the lexmark website
>>and install *that*.
>>Follow this proceedure:
>>1) download the ****in driver
>>2) open Hardware tab in "System" and locate Printer...
>>3) right click on the fukin printer and choose Properties
>>4)Click "update driver" and install new driver
>>5)reboot
>>6)report back here...
>>
>>then...
>>
>>wait for it...
>>
>>wait for it....
>>
>>SMASH YUOR KEYBORD!!!!11111!!!!!!
>>
>>HTH

> *PLONK*

See what happens when you *dont* smash yer keybord?

:(

http://i35.tinypic.com/2czc1ua.jpg

Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov 11-09-2008 07:20 PM

Re: Lexmark 600 series printer problem

Sam Taylor <b2rcco@deletethisbit_btopenworld.com> wrote:

>>Well, you're welcome to try to dream up some troubleshooting method on
>>your own, or you can follow my directions and see what the problem is.

>OK I will. However, the method I was told to use came from the
>Microsoft not something I dreamt up.

Good choice Chucktart advice will just cause problems for you.

--

Think, dropping golf balls
http://tinyurl.com/6rt75p

chuckcar 11-09-2008 09:38 PM

Re: Lexmark 600 series printer problem

Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov wrote in

> Sam Taylor <b2rcco@deletethisbit_btopenworld.com> wrote:
>
>>>Well, you're welcome to try to dream up some troubleshooting method on
>>>your own, or you can follow my directions and see what the problem is.

>>OK I will. However, the method I was told to use came from the
>>Microsoft not something I dreamt up.

> Good choice Chucktart advice will just cause problems for you.

Just F* off. If you have no advice, which more and more you don't bugger
off.

--
(setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )