Velocity Reviews

-   -   Comcast Problem & Port Change ? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t642792-comcast-problem-and-port-change.html)

Robert11 11-03-2008 12:31 PM

Comcast Problem & Port Change ?

Hello,

Live outside of Boston, running XP, and have Comcast for my internet.
Using Outlook Express for my email

Internet via Comcast has always worked quite well and reliably.
Impossible to get anyone at Comcast who "knows anything" about this.

But -

I received the following e-mail from Comcast about a week ago.
Will append it at the bottom of this.
From what I can tell, it is legitimate.

Do you agree it's from Comcast, probably ?
Anyone else get it ?
Not sure if sent to all their customers, or only a selected bunch like me
who they feel their PC has been hijacked and is being used to send out bogus
spam emai.
PC has really been running slow the last few months, so perhaps they are
right ?

So, I changed the Port from number 25 to the number they suggested (587).

All sorts of "funny things" now:

PC won't connect to internet without re-booting, or perhaps plugging and
unplugging the comcast cable modem in and out a few times seems to do it.
At other times it connects just fine.

Connection drops out after a few hours, randomly.
Never, but never, has in the past.

a. Think the problem is likely on my end, with the changing of the Port, or
on Comcasts end ?

b. Think Comcast was right that my PC was hijacked ?

c. Did they probably send the Port change message to everyone, or really to
only a selected few that they determined had the "hijack" ? Anyone else get
?

If problem on my end, what might I check, or change ?

The problem is intermittent, and for long stretches everything works just
fine.
Also, many of my PC startups and connection to them works perfectly, other
times not.

Any thoughts or suggestions on this would be most appreciated.

Thanks,
Bob
-----------------------------
ACTION REQUIRED: Comcast has determined that your computer(s) have been used
to send unsolicited email ("spam"), which is generally an indicator of a
virus. For your own protection and that of other Comcast customers, we have
taken steps to prevent further transmission of spam from your computer(s).

Comcast.Net WebMail Users
If you use a web browser to access your email, this change will not affect
your service. However, it is important that you take steps to remove the
virus and secure your computer(s). This can be done by using the FREE McAfee
Antivirus and Firewall software available from Comcast on the Comcast
Security Channel or by using other popular antivirus solutions that are
widely available.

Third-Party Mail Client Users (Outlook, Outlook Express, etc.)
If you use Outlook Express, the steps we have taken to protect the Comcast
network will not allow you to send email until you apply a simple one click
fix available at http://www.comcastsupport.com/alternateport. While this
will restore your ability to send mail it is still important to remove any
possible viruses from your computer. This can be done by using the McAfee
Antivirus and Firewall software (offered to Comcast.net subscribers at no
additional charge) available from Comcast on the Comcast Security Channel or
by using other popular antivirus solutions that are widely available.

Note: this one click fix currently only works with Internet Explorer. If you
use a different browser, please click here for steps to manually change your
port.

Beauregard T. Shagnasty 11-03-2008 02:03 PM

Re: Comcast Problem & Port Change ?

Robert11 wrote:

> Hello,

Good morning.
(snipping some of your verbose comments)

> Using Outlook Express for my email

You could always use a more secure application.

> Internet via Comcast has always worked quite well and reliably.
> Impossible to get anyone at Comcast who "knows anything" about this.

That is certainly true with many ISPs. First-tier support usually sucks.

> I received the following e-mail from Comcast about a week ago.
> Will append it at the bottom of this.
> From what I can tell, it is legitimate.
> Do you agree it's from Comcast, probably ?

The URL mentioned (comcastsupport.com) is truly owned by Comcast.

> Not sure if sent to all their customers, or only a selected bunch like
> me who they feel their PC has been hijacked and is being used to send
> out bogus spam emai. PC has really been running slow the last few
> months, so perhaps they are right ?

A Windows computer "running slow" is a very good sign it has been
compromised. Hijacked. You probably belong to a botnet.

> So, I changed the Port from number 25 to the number they suggested (587).

...but that would have nothing to do with "running slow" nor being
infested with a mass-mailing worm, only when you check for new mail. It
also will not cure your computer.

> All sorts of "funny things" now:
>
> PC won't connect to internet without re-booting, or perhaps plugging
> and unplugging the comcast cable modem in and out a few times seems
> to do it. At other times it connects just fine.

Still nothing to do with changing your email port number.

> Connection drops out after a few hours, randomly. Never, but never,
> has in the past.

That could be due to a hundred reasons, none of which are changing the
port number.

> a. Think the problem is likely on my end, with the changing of the
> Port, or on Comcasts end ?

Your end.

> b. Think Comcast was right that my PC was hijacked ?

Quite likely. It's "running slow."

> c. Did they probably send the Port change message to everyone, or
> really to only a selected few that they determined had the "hijack" ?
> Anyone else get ?

Does Comcast have local newsgroups?

> If problem on my end, what might I check, or change ?

I guess you could start here:
http://tekrider.net/general/wintip01.php#spyware

> The problem is intermittent, and for long stretches everything works
> just fine. Also, many of my PC startups and connection to them works
> perfectly, other times not.

During the "just fine" times, the owner of your PC was busy elsewhere
and not using yours to send spam.

> Any thoughts or suggestions on this would be most appreciated.

You've munged your email address in your post. Unfortunately, you have
used a domain name belonging to someone else, thereby abusing it and
allowing it to be harvested and have spam sent to *his* mail server.

http://tekrider.net/general/misctips.php#mung

> -----------------------------
> ACTION REQUIRED: Comcast has determined that your computer(s)
> Note: this one click fix currently only works with Internet Explorer.
> If you use a different browser, please click here for steps to
> manually change your port.

"Click here?" Where?

The page you did list is only for Windows and Internet Explorer users.
Those of us using modern, secure operating systems and browsers can't
see what it is supposed to do.

--
-bts

Buffalo 11-03-2008 05:01 PM

Re: Comcast Problem & Port Change ?

Robert11 wrote:
[snip]
b. Think Comcast was right that my PC was hijacked ?

[snip]
> -----------------------------
> ACTION REQUIRED: Comcast has determined that your computer(s) have
> been used to send unsolicited email ("spam"), which is generally an
> indicator of a virus. For your own protection and that of other
> Comcast customers, we have taken steps to prevent further
> transmission of spam from your computer(s).
>
> Comcast.Net WebMail Users
> If you use a web browser to access your email, this change will not
> affect your service. However, it is important that you take steps to
> remove the virus and secure your computer(s). This can be done by
> using the FREE McAfee Antivirus and Firewall software available from
> Comcast on the Comcast Security Channel or by using other popular
> antivirus solutions that are widely available.

[snip]

I got the same message and it was probably because I hit the 'Reply All' tab
(instead of the Reply Tab) when I replied offensively to a bs political
email forwarded to me by one of my friends. It sounds like one of the
recipients sent in an abuse complaint.

Still, your computer could be infected with some type of malware or virus.

Try running the following two free anti-malware programs.

SuperAntiSpyware
MalwareBytes' AntiMalware

First dl the programs, install them and then update them.
Before running either one, delete all the cookies you don't need or want and
delete your temporary internet files.

Update and run your anti-virus program and/or use one of the free online
scans (TrendMicro,Kaspersky, or run David Lipman's
suggested programs).
Do a Find for Lipman and you will find his suggested programs.

Buffalo