Velocity Reviews

-   -   Taskbar - Past Items back into Current Items (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t642197-taskbar-past-items-back-into-current-items.html)

Moke Gibboni 10-28-2008 09:55 PM

Taskbar - Past Items back into Current Items

I have Windows XP ...

please would some kind sole tell me how to put a past item from the taskbar
back into the current item section of the taskbar.

I used to have my AVAST anti-virus icon in the taskbar at the bottom right
of the screen, but it has now disappeared and I see it has put itself into
the past items section.

Cheers for any assistance in this.

Moke G.

'the best person to run a country is the person who doesn't want the job.'

Jm 10-28-2008 10:14 PM

Re: Taskbar - Past Items back into Current Items

"Moke Gibboni" <moke.gibboni@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
>I have Windows XP ...
>
> please would some kind sole tell me how to put a past item from the
> taskbar back into the current item section of the taskbar.
>
> I used to have my AVAST anti-virus icon in the taskbar at the bottom right
> of the screen, but it has now disappeared and I see it has put itself into
> the past items section.

Assuming you're using some relatively current flavour of Windows .... here
are instructions for my setup (Win XP Home Basis SP3), yours should be
similar.

Right Click on an empty section of your Task Bar

Select Properties

At the very bottom, to the right of where the check box is for "Hide
Inactive Icons", click on Customize

Select the icon you want from the list, a drop-down list will appear to the
right of that item, select Always Show.

Moke Gibboni 10-28-2008 10:23 PM

"Jm " <jb@mysockpuppet.net> wrote in message

> "Moke Gibboni" <moke.gibboni@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
>>I have Windows XP ...
>>
>> please would some kind sole tell me how to put a past item from the
>> taskbar back into the current item section of the taskbar.
>>
>> I used to have my AVAST anti-virus icon in the taskbar at the bottom
>> right of the screen, but it has now disappeared and I see it has put
>> itself into the past items section.

> Assuming you're using some relatively current flavour of Windows .... here
> are instructions for my setup (Win XP Home Basis SP3), yours should be
> similar.
>
> Right Click on an empty section of your Task Bar
>
> Select Properties
>
> At the very bottom, to the right of where the check box is for "Hide
> Inactive Icons", click on Customize
>
> Select the icon you want from the list, a drop-down list will appear to
> the right of that item, select Always Show.

Hi Jim - yes, already tried that, but it still remains in the 'past items'
section with an 'always show' next to it, but it still does not show in the
taskbar at the bottom right of the screen. I have other items showing at the
bottom right of the screen (nVidia settings; clock; ZoneAlarm firewall;
volume) but not the usual circular Avast icon which used to be there.

Moke Gibboni 10-28-2008 11:44 PM

> "Jm " <jb@mysockpuppet.net> wrote in message
>>
>> "Moke Gibboni" <moke.gibboni@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
>>>I have Windows XP ...
>>>
>>> please would some kind sole tell me how to put a past item from the
>>> taskbar back into the current item section of the taskbar.
>>>
>>> I used to have my AVAST anti-virus icon in the taskbar at the bottom
>>> right of the screen, but it has now disappeared and I see it has put
>>> itself into the past items section.

>> Assuming you're using some relatively current flavour of Windows ....
>> here are instructions for my setup (Win XP Home Basis SP3), yours should
>> be similar.
>>
>> Right Click on an empty section of your Task Bar
>>
>> Select Properties
>>
>> At the very bottom, to the right of where the check box is for "Hide
>> Inactive Icons", click on Customize
>>
>> Select the icon you want from the list, a drop-down list will appear to
>> the right of that item, select Always Show.

> Hi Jim - yes, already tried that, but it still remains in the 'past items'
> section with an 'always show' next to it, but it still does not show in
> the taskbar at the bottom right of the screen. I have other items showing
> at the bottom right of the screen (nVidia settings; clock; ZoneAlarm
> firewall; volume) but not the usual circular Avast icon which used to be
> there.
>

> Moke G.
>

> 'the best person to run a country is the person who doesn't want the job.'

Uninstalling Avast and downloading and re-installing it again with a fresh
registration key seems to have solved the problem!

wisdomkiller & pain 10-29-2008 06:14 AM

Moke Gibboni wrote:

> Uninstalling Avast and downloading and re-installing it again with a fresh
> registration key seems to have solved the problem!

Well, shooting sparrows with cannon bullets.
Except that program didn't work anymore.

Didn't it help to uncheck the "hide unused items" checkbox?
I, for myself (when urged to use windows afte all ....) do want to see
everything, rather use tools to disable background programs I don't need.

Moke Gibboni 10-29-2008 05:26 PM

Re: Taskbar - Past Items back into Current Items

"wisdomkiller & pain" <altnews.20.eatallspam@spamgourmet.com> wrote in
message news:1513368.9j0aAnjnHr@woodpecker.motzarella.org. ..
> Moke Gibboni wrote:
>>
>> Uninstalling Avast and downloading and re-installing it again with a
>> fresh
>> registration key seems to have solved the problem!
>>

> Well, shooting sparrows with cannon bullets.
> Except that program didn't work anymore.
>
> Didn't it help to uncheck the "hide unused items" checkbox?
> I, for myself (when urged to use windows afte all ....) do want to see
> everything, rather use tools to disable background programs I don't need.

'Didn't it help to uncheck the "hide unused items" checkbox?' No it
didn't!

Sometimes drastic action is necessary to achieve the results required.
Particularly in the computing world, it does very often take a sledge hammer
to crack a nut so to speak!