Velocity Reviews

-   -   Favicons, providing more than one size (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t641495-favicons-providing-more-than-one-size.html)

August Karlstrom 10-25-2008 02:54 PM

Favicons, providing more than one size

Hi,

How do I provide both a 16x16 and a 32x32 favicon in the png format? I
guess the following will not work:

<head profile="http://www.w3.org/2005/10/profile">
<link rel="icon" type="image/png" href="/images/favicon16.png" />
<link rel="icon" type="image/png" href="/images/favicon32.png" />

August

August Karlstrom 10-25-2008 03:08 PM

Re: Favicons, providing more than one size

August Karlstrom wrote:
> Hi,
>
> How do I provide both a 16x16 and a 32x32 favicon in the png format? I
> guess the following will not work:

> <head profile="http://www.w3.org/2005/10/profile">
> <link rel="icon" type="image/png" href="/images/favicon16.png" />
> <link rel="icon" type="image/png" href="/images/favicon32.png" />

Firefox seems to always pick the last icon irregardless of its size.

August

Adrienne Boswell 10-25-2008 05:01 PM

Re: Favicons, providing more than one size

Gazing into my crystal ball I observed August Karlstrom
<fusionfile@gmail.com> writing in news:gdvcoo$t2r$1@aioe.org:

> August Karlstrom wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> How do I provide both a 16x16 and a 32x32 favicon in the png format?

>> guess the following will not work:

>> <head profile="http://www.w3.org/2005/10/profile">
>> <link rel="icon" type="image/png" href="/images/favicon16.png" />
>> <link rel="icon" type="image/png" href="/images/favicon32.png" />

> Firefox seems to always pick the last icon irregardless of its size.
>

> August

AFAIK, IE only accepts true icon format, and also looks only for
favicon.ico. I got tired of seeing 404s when IE was looking for
favicon.ico, so I now make sure that is what it is called, and that it
is a true icon file.

--
Adrienne Boswell at Home
Arbpen Web Site Design Services

John Hosking 10-25-2008 05:11 PM

August Karlstrom wrote:
> August Karlstrom wrote:

>> How do I provide both a 16x16 and a 32x32 favicon in the png format? I
>> guess the following will not work:

>> <head profile="http://www.w3.org/2005/10/profile">

I know the profile attribute is in the W3C Rec
(http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/struct/...html#profiles), but do you
know of anyone making actual use of it?

>> <link rel="icon" type="image/png" href="/images/favicon16.png" />
>> <link rel="icon" type="image/png" href="/images/favicon32.png" />

> Firefox seems to always pick the last icon irregardless of its size.

At the risk of strating a 100-post flame thread like we have over in
a.w.webmaster, I'd like to inquire what your goal in doing this is. What
do you expect (or hope) to happen if you can make both sizes available?

--
John
I'm just curious, okay?

C A Upsdell 10-25-2008 08:34 PM

August Karlstrom wrote:
> Hi,
>
> How do I provide both a 16x16 and a 32x32 favicon in the png format? I
> guess the following will not work:

A single ICO file can contain several sizes of icons, and Windows picks
the one that is appropriate. A program which creates an ICO file should
be able to put several images into the single ICO file. I use a
freeware program called PNG2ICO to do this. I'm sure that there are
many alternatives.

Nik Coughlin 10-26-2008 12:11 AM

"August Karlstrom" <fusionfile@gmail.com> wrote in message

> Firefox seems to always pick the last icon irregardless of its size.

I know this isn't alt.usage.english but I can't help myself...

Use irrespective or regardless instead of irregardless, the prefix "ir-"
means "not" so irregardless means "not regardless", probably the opposite of
what you intended to say.

C A Upsdell 10-26-2008 01:31 AM

Nik Coughlin wrote:
> "August Karlstrom" <fusionfile@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>
>> Firefox seems to always pick the last icon irregardless of its size.

> I know this isn't alt.usage.english but I can't help myself...
>
> Use irrespective or regardless instead of irregardless, the prefix "ir-"
> means "not" so irregardless means "not regardless", probably the
> opposite of what you intended to say.

That is a flammable assertion ... or perhaps inflammable?

See http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/irregardless : non-standard,
but not necessarily incorrect. The English language is replete with
inconsistencies.

Nik Coughlin 10-26-2008 03:06 AM

"C A Upsdell" <cupsdell@upsdell.invalid> wrote in message
> Nik Coughlin wrote:
>> "August Karlstrom" <fusionfile@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> Firefox seems to always pick the last icon irregardless of its size.

>> I know this isn't alt.usage.english but I can't help myself...
>>
>> Use irrespective or regardless instead of irregardless, the prefix "ir-"
>> means "not" so irregardless means "not regardless", probably the opposite
>> of what you intended to say.

> That is a flammable assertion ... or perhaps inflammable?
>
> See http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/irregardless : non-standard,
> but not necessarily incorrect. The English language is replete with
> inconsistencies.

In this particular case the word has become fetishized... you're
considerably more likely to come across it in discussion about its misuse
than you are to come across it actually being miused.

August Karlstrom 10-26-2008 12:55 PM

Nik Coughlin wrote:
> "August Karlstrom" <fusionfile@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>
>> Firefox seems to always pick the last icon irregardless of its size.

> I know this isn't alt.usage.english but I can't help myself...
>
> Use irrespective or regardless instead of irregardless, the prefix "ir-"
> means "not" so irregardless means "not regardless", probably the
> opposite of what you intended to say.

Makes sense, thanks for pointing it out.

August

(a non-native English speaker from Sweden)

August Karlstrom 10-26-2008 01:06 PM

Adrienne Boswell wrote:
> AFAIK, IE only accepts true icon format, and also looks only for
> favicon.ico. I got tired of seeing 404s when IE was looking for
> favicon.ico, so I now make sure that is what it is called, and that it
> is a true icon file.

Thanks for the info. I will not let one browser decide where I should
put my files on the server, so I think I will make the favicon an extra
feature for those who use saner browsers.

August