Velocity Reviews

-   -   configure connection profile, windows reports database is being us (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t641443-configure-connection-profile-windows-reports-database-is-being-us.html)

Jan 10-25-2008 12:44 AM

configure connection profile, windows reports database is being us

Configuration
Dell laptop with built in WiFi.
Linksys wireless router

Original state
At home, connect wirelessly to the Linksys OK.
At office, wireless network connection window shows a list of wireless
networks.

Changes made
1) At office, configure a new wireless network using the "set up a wireless
network for a home or small office" tool that appears on the left side of the
Wireless Network Connection window.
2) Followed the prompt and completed the configuration OK (selected assign
security key manually) but did not see the newly configurred wireless network.
3) Opened Intel PROSet/Wireless window.
4) Selected a network and hit the Configure button to create a connection
profile.
5) After ~20 seconds, the Configuration window appeared (the computer was
sluggish), then Windows prompted an error message to the effect of "profile
database is being used, please shut down the application and re-launch the
application."
6) Shut down the application and restarted the computer (several times) and
tried again but the problem persists.
7) Now cannot connect to the home Linksys router.
8) Used System Restore to restore the system (tried different restore
points) but made no difference.

It appears the profile database is locked or corrupt. How to fix the
problem or restore to the original state? Thanks.

Jan 10-25-2008 01:07 AM

RE: configure connection profile, windows reports database is being us

One more thing. Now, the Wireless Network Connection window does not show
any wireless network. even though the home wireless network is there. It
says:
"Windows cannot configure this wireless connection. .... etc."

Not sure this is important or not. Have another laptop (with Intel built-in
WiFi) that shows the same message but connects to a wireless network OK.

Jack \(MVP-Networking\). 10-25-2008 08:55 PM

Re: configure connection profile, windows reports database is being us

Hi
Many offices use a different Wireless logon system than the one at Home.
First find out how the office system works, what the SSID and password or
any thing else need for logon..
Under regular home Wireless the profiles exist just make it easy to log on
fast to a connection that was already used before. Otherwise there is No
need for pre-existing profile you can log to any Wireless if you know its
name and have the proper password;
Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

Jan 10-25-2008 11:38 PM

Re: configure connection profile, windows reports database is bein

Thanks, Jack.

2 questions:
1) I knwo the SSID and password, but how do I connect to the home wireless
network from the Intel PROSet/Wireless window? On the window, there are 2
panes. The top pane should show various connection profiles. The lower pane
shows detected networks. Normally, I select a network from the low pane lis
and click the Configure button to configure a profile. Once the profile is
configured, I select the profile at the top pane and hit Connect to make the
connection. The trouble is Windows now reports error when I configure a
profile as I a result what I did as described in my first posting.
2) How do I restore to the original state from what I did? Any means to
reset the database and start again without reloading the operating system?

Thanks.

Pavel A. 10-26-2008 11:11 AM

Jan wrote:
> One more thing. Now, the Wireless Network Connection window does not show
> any wireless network. even though the home wireless network is there. It
> says:
> "Windows cannot configure this wireless connection. .... etc."

This is the normal message when ProSET controls the adapter.
It is same when "Let Windows manage this connection" checkbox is cleared
(what ProSET does automatically on your behalf).

--PA

Jack \(MVP-Networking\). 10-26-2008 11:55 PM

Re: configure connection profile, windows reports database is bein

Hi
I am not clear what is it thta you are using.
There is an Intel Proset Wireless Utility and there is also Windows Zero
Configuration which is Windows native Wireless utility.
Make sure that you use only one of the two and the one that you are using
has to be totally off and out of the system.

Jan 10-28-2008 01:09 PM

Re: configure connection profile, windows reports database is bein

Jack,

How do I select to use Windows Zero Configuration? Or select PROset
Wireless Utility?

Why did it change?

Thanks.

Jan 10-29-2008 10:41 AM

Re: configure connection profile, windows reports database is bein

PA,

Thanks for your reply. Could you advise how to fix my problem such that I
can connect to my home wireless network? Thanking you in advance.

Pavel A. 10-29-2008 02:05 PM

Jan wrote:
> PA,
>
> Thanks for your reply. Could you advise how to fix my problem such that I
> can connect to my home wireless network? Thanking you in advance.

I could try to help with the "profile database is being used" problem,
if you tell us versions of your ProSET , the driver, model of the laptop
and other useful details.
Have you received the ProSET from your work, or downloaded from Intel or
Dell? Have your IT at work set some administration options of proset?

Regards,
--PA

Jan 11-03-2008 07:06 AM

Re: configure connection profile, windows reports database is bein

PA,

Thanks for offering your help. After fiddling this awhile, Windows got back
to manage wireless connections. Home connection works OK now. Thanks again
for your help.