Velocity Reviews

-   -   java tools to support agile story cards and issue tracking (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t641298-java-tools-to-support-agile-story-cards-and-issue-tracking.html)

marlow.andrew@googlemail.com 10-23-2008 10:18 PM

java tools to support agile story cards and issue tracking

guys,

I am trying to evaluate tools that support agile story cards and issue
tracking. I have started with JIRA and am hitting all sorts of
problems trying to get it working. I am on the point of giving up. So
I was wondering, what other tools are out there? I prefer open source
if possible but will consider proprietary software. At the moment the
only other tool I am aware of is the proprietary mingle tool from
ThoughtWorks. At the moment I am so cheesed off with JIRA problems
that mingle looks like being the winner by default!

The main thing I want the tool to do is to support agile story cards.
The issue tracking is only useful insofar as if the tool offer it it
should be integrated into its other features.

Of course, the tool does not have to be written in java but I think it
probably will be. We will be using it to do some java development
using subversion as the source code control tool.

Regards,

Andrew Marlow

marlow.andrew@googlemail.com 11-07-2008 09:39 AM

Re: java tools to support agile story cards and issue tracking

On 23 Oct, 22:18, marlow.and...@googlemail.com wrote:
> guys,
>
> I am trying to evaluate tools that support agile story cards and issue
> tracking. I have started with JIRA and am hitting all sorts of
> problems trying to get it working. I am on the point of giving up. So
> I was wondering, what other tools are out there? I prefer open source
> if possible but will consider proprietary software. At the moment the
> only other tool I am aware of is the proprietary mingle tool from
> ThoughtWorks. At the moment I am so cheesed off with JIRA problems
> that mingle looks like being the winner by default!
>
> The main thing I want the tool to do is to support agile story cards.
> The issue tracking is only useful insofar as if the tool offer it it
> should be integrated into its other features.
>
> Of course, the tool does not have to be written in java but I think it
> probably will be. We will be using it to do some java development
> using subversion as the source code control tool.
>
> Regards,
>
> Andrew Marlow

With some help from JIRA support I have got JIRA working. However, it
looks to me like JIRA is aimed at issue tracking in the same way as
bugzilla, mantis etc etc. So I see no advantage. What I am after is
something that knows about agile stories, tasks, etc. Whilst JIRA can
be told about these it does not come out of the box. Mingle does but
it seems expensive to me. I wonder what other options there are. Any
ideas please?

-Andrew Marlow