Velocity Reviews

-   -   Re: TelstraClear ditches newsgroups (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t640630-re-telstraclear-ditches-newsgroups.html)

Cima 10-20-2008 08:31 AM

On Mon, 20 Oct 2008 21:20:34 +1300, Allistar <b@c.com> wrote:

>Hi all,
> I'm surprised that no-one has posted about TelstraClear ditching their
>NNTP service. I received a letter in the mail yesterday notifying me that
>soon the service will be unavailable. If I used it I would be ****ed off,
>but I don't, so I'm not. Anyone else?

I haven't received anything. They actually posted a letter about it?
I've been using motzarella mostly - the TC feed is ****, some rec.music* groups
have had no posts for months apart from cross-posted OT garbage, yet the
motzarella feed has dozens of posts every day.

Dave Taylor 10-20-2008 09:10 AM

Re: TelstraClear ditches newsgroups

Cima <wot@not.co> wrote in

>>Hi all,
>> I'm surprised that no-one has posted about TelstraClear ditching
>> their
>>NNTP service. I received a letter in the mail yesterday notifying me
>>that soon the service will be unavailable. If I used it I would be
>>****ed off, but I don't, so I'm not. Anyone else?

> I haven't received anything. They actually posted a letter about it?
> I've been using motzarella mostly - the TC feed is ****, some
> rec.music* groups have had no posts for months apart from cross-posted
> OT garbage, yet the motzarella feed has dozens of posts every day.

I am posting this on the paradise nntp server and have had no such mail out
(yet)

--
Ciao, Dave

Ralph Fox 10-21-2008 05:52 AM

Re: TelstraClear ditches newsgroups

On Tue, 21 Oct 2008 08:52:59 +1300, in message <kvKdnY6vIfbifGHVnZ2dnUVZ_oPinZ2d@giganews.com>,
Allistar wrote:

> Oddly enough, I cannot find anything on their website about this. I
> definitely got a TC branded snail mail letter informing me of the change.

If TelstraClear were ditching newsgroups, I would not expect to see an
announcement on their website. (BTW when Xtra ditched newsgroups, they
never put an announcement on their website.)

From their point of view, why tell everyone that they are cutting back on
service, and maybe produce a bad impression. Only those who use the news
server would need to find out, and everyone else can be left blissfully
unaware.

What I would expect to see is the news server setting would disappear
from their website. So I went to check...

A. The Paradise website still shows the news server setting,
on the page at http://www2.paradise.net.nz/access.html

B. I could not find the news server setting anywhere on the TelstraClear
website. Maybe someone else can check and confirm.

--
Cheers,
Ralph

Dave Doe 10-21-2008 09:18 AM

Re: TelstraClear ditches newsgroups

In article <d1rqf4l1afejptj8vm9958ghmodfu86e9b@4ax.com>, -rf-nz-
@-.invalid says...
> On Tue, 21 Oct 2008 08:52:59 +1300, in message <kvKdnY6vIfbifGHVnZ2dnUVZ_oPinZ2d@giganews.com>,
> Allistar wrote:
>
> > Oddly enough, I cannot find anything on their website about this. I
> > definitely got a TC branded snail mail letter informing me of the change.

> If TelstraClear were ditching newsgroups, I would not expect to see an
> announcement on their website. (BTW when Xtra ditched newsgroups, they
> never put an announcement on their website.)
>
> From their point of view, why tell everyone that they are cutting back on
> service, and maybe produce a bad impression. Only those who use the news
> server would need to find out, and everyone else can be left blissfully
> unaware.
>
> What I would expect to see is the news server setting would disappear
> from their website. So I went to check...
>
> A. The Paradise website still shows the news server setting,
> on the page at http://www2.paradise.net.nz/access.html
>
> B. I could not find the news server setting anywhere on the TelstraClear
> website. Maybe someone else can check and confirm.

Surely a change in (whatever they define as their) Service should be
notified, just like the price increase was for cable customers - and a
bit of a shock that was, given folk are expecting to get more for less
re internet access thesedays, not the other way round.

--
Duncan

Ralph Fox 10-21-2008 09:53 AM

Re: TelstraClear ditches newsgroups

On Tue, 21 Oct 2008 22:18:10 +1300, in message <MPG.2368657dee2e2505989a19@news.paradise.net.nz >,
Dave Doe wrote:

> Surely a change in (whatever they define as their) Service should be
> notified, just like the price increase was for cable customers - and a
> bit of a shock that was, given folk are expecting to get more for less
> re internet access thesedays, not the other way round.

Xtra posted an announcement in all newsgroups on their news server,
and nowhere else, before they closed down their news server.
It seems clear to me that Xtra's intention was for newsgroup users
only to see it, and for other Xtra customers not to see it.

Xtra defined the news server as "complimentary", implying that
no reduction in prices would be given for service without a
news server.

--
Cheers,
Ralph