Velocity Reviews

-   -   Re: Quay over-stepping the marK? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t640072-re-quay-over-stepping-the-mark.html)

SlowLearner 10-15-2008 11:43 PM

Re: Quay over-stepping the marK?

On Oct 16, 12:00*pm, Mark Robinson <use...@blackhole.zl2tod.net>
wrote:
> ~misfit~ wrote:
> > "One of the guys at work was just asking me if I thought a scenario he'd
> > just gone through with Quay Computers was a bit odd. *Basically, the the
> > cooling in his graphics card had died and was causing his computer to
> > shutdown. *Simple solution: replace graphics card with new card and install
> > drivers.

> > What is odd to the both of us is that Quay decided to uninstall all the
> > antispyware and antivirus software that he had on the computer (and had paid
> > for) and replaced it with a trial version of a security suite. *When
> > questioned, they replied that this was their policy and, by the way, the
> > software they installed was vastly superior to what he had."

> > From:http://www.geekzone.co.nz/blog.asp?postid=5867

> > To my way of thinking that is completely unacceptable and I'd be billing
> > Quay for the software removed (at the least).

> > What say you? Sounds like insidious and immoral marketing to me. I bet they
> > get $xx for every machine they put the trial software on. Going by the sheer
> > number of people I've known of who have paid for Norton Antivirus simply
> > because a trial was installed on their machine when they bought it and then
> > they were terrorised by predictions of doom if they didn't pay for another
> > year.

> > Shame Geekzone don't mention the name of the "security suite" in this
> > instance. I know that OEMs were paid to instal trials of Nortons, I wonder
> > if this is Nortons or if some other company has adopted the same marketing
> > model.

> > Either way, if I was ever going to buy from Quay, I won't now.

> Crimes Act 1961
> Crimes involving computers
>
> 248 Interpretation
> For the purposes of this section and sections 249 and 250,—
>
> access, in relation to any computer system, means instruct, communicate with,
> store data in, receive data from, or otherwise make use of any of the resources
> of the computer system
>
> computer system —
> * * * *(a) means—
> * * * * * * *(i) a computer; or
> * * * * * * *(ii) 2 or more interconnected computers; or
> * * * * * * *(iii) any communication links between computers or to remote
> terminals or another device; or
> * * * * * * *(iv) 2 or more interconnected computers combined with any
> communication links between computers or to remote terminals or any other
> device; and
> * * * *(b) includes any part of the items described in paragraph (a) and all
> related input, output, processing, storage, software, or communication
> facilities, and stored data.
>
> 249 Accessing computer system for dishonest purpose
>
> (1) Every one is liable to imprisonment for a term not exceeding 7 years who,
> directly or indirectly, accesses any computer system and thereby, dishonestly
> or by deception, and without claim of right,—
> [...]

I haven;t been back to Quay for years now. When I was still a student
I bought a PC with no OS (as I had a Win95 install CD from the old
machine at home). Everything seemed to work fine except after about 10
minutes the modem would just hang up. I tried all sort of stuff to get
it working. We tried shifting the modem to a differnt PC (also win95)
and it worked fine.

So I took it back and explained the problem. A few days later they
call me to tell me its fixed. They wanted to charge me but backed down
when I asked what was actually wrong and why it was not a warranttee
claim. On, what we shall laughably refer to as the "repair" docket it
said something like "Booted OK, modem works". Naievely I took the
machine home, went on the internet and lo! 10 mintes later the modem
hangs up. Bastards.

At this stage I didn't have a car so back on thebus with a massive PC
case i went.

Explained the problem again, took great pains to empahsie the need to
write down 10 minutes. Watched the "tech" not write 10 minutes down.
Then I made him write it down on the problem report bit.

Got a call from Quay. They had looked at it and apparently the problem
was Win95. You see, it *needed* Win98 to work. I confirmed with them
that that was the case as the modem had worked perfectly fine on a
different Win95 PC. No, No, I was assured that Win98 would fix the
problem. There would of course be a small upgrade fee and charge for
installing Win98. Fine, if it fixes the problem. Oh yes it will.
You'll test it before I pick it up, of course we will.

I head down to the end of the Quay and get my PC and pay for the
upgrade and some time. Guess what happened when I got home. Yeah. 10
minutes of internet and then it hung up.

Back on the bus. Got down there. Totally went ballistic.Pretty much
called thier entire tech team a bunch of incompetents and then i got
colourful. I almost feel sorry for the poor tech that was behind the
counter. Don't know what they layout is now but at the time the tech
area was just around corner from the main sales area so anyone in the
shop could hear me trying to explain basic commonsense to the useless
monkeys. Told them I had had it and wanted a full refund of both the
machine and the Win98 upgrade etc.

They took it back to have a look at. Thier final explanation was that
it was the combination of that brand of modem and that brand of
motherboard. Don't know how much of that is true or whether the
finally tried connecting to the internet for more than 10 minutes and
realised the modem was f**ked all along.

Then they tried to charge me for the repair. Then I had to argue and
make another scene until they'd refund the now totally unessessary
Win98 they had loaded.

In someways the worst thing about this whole experience was that it
was *not* the same tech each time. I talked with at least 3 techs and
one of the managers. Everytime I had explained the problem i had
explained about the 10 minute lag before the modem hung up.

Suffice to say I have never set foot in that store again. If you want
a PC fixed you're better off giving your PC and a hammer to a 5 year
old and letting them have at it. Quay were (and it seems still are)
totally useless.