Velocity Reviews

-   -   Please, Gods, No... (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t639217-please-gods-no.html)

Lawrence D'Oliveiro 10-10-2008 04:17 AM

Please, Gods, No...

The good news is, Microsoft recognizes that UAC is one of the most-hated
features of Dimdows Vista.

The bad news is, they're going to "improve" it in Dimdows 7 by
<http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=1627>:

... [providing] options such that when you use the system as an
administrator you can determine the range of notifications that you
receive. 2) Provide additional and more relevant information in the user
interface.

In other words, they're going to add even _more_ configuration settings for
users to stuff up, and make the warning dialogs even _more_ long-winded, so
there'll be more stuff for users to ignore.

When will they realize, a security system needs to be _simple_, otherwise
users will simply keep bypassing it? That a security model where "having
administrator rights" is NOT the same thing as "running as administrator"
is just too complicated for humans to understand?

Gordon 10-11-2008 04:25 AM

Re: Please, Gods, No...

On 2008-10-10, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <ldo@geek-central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
> The good news is, Microsoft recognizes that UAC is one of the most-hated
> features of Dimdows Vista.
>
> The bad news is, they're going to "improve" it in Dimdows 7 by
><http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=1627>:
>
> ... [providing] options such that when you use the system as an
> administrator you can determine the range of notifications that you
> receive. 2) Provide additional and more relevant information in the user
> interface.
>
> In other words, they're going to add even _more_ configuration settings for
> users to stuff up, and make the warning dialogs even _more_ long-winded, so
> there'll be more stuff for users to ignore.
>
> When will they realize, a security system needs to be _simple_, otherwise
> users will simply keep bypassing it? That a security model where "having
> administrator rights" is NOT the same thing as "running as administrator"
> is just too complicated for humans to understand?

Really, Lawrence, you are being some what tounge in cheek here.

History has brought us to this situation. A similar case is of one speaking
only one language because everyone spoke it as you were growing up. People
can understand how to speak two languages.

Do not despair, slowly but surely Ms Windows is doing what Ms Penguin has
done for sometime

Tony in Oz 10-11-2008 08:58 AM

Re: Please, Gods, No...

"Gordon" <Gordon@clear.net.nz> wrote in message > Really, Lawrence, you are
being some what tounge in cheek here.

Whats a "tounge"? And how come so many people have trouble spelling
the word "Tongue"? I see it all the time.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro 10-11-2008 09:31 AM

Re: Please, Gods, No...

In message <48f0719d$1@news.orcon.net.nz>, Puddle wrote:

> Spelling isn't really rated in the IT world.

Which is odd, considering how anal practically all programming languages and
data syntaxes are about typos.

EMB 10-11-2008 10:06 AM

Re: Please, Gods, No...

Puddle wrote:
> Spelling isn't really rated in the IT world.

Nor, judging by my new cow-orker, is intelligence or ability.

Chris Wilkinson 10-11-2008 11:40 AM

Re: Please, Gods, No...

Hi there,

Gib Bogle wrote:
> EMB wrote:
>> Puddle wrote:
>>> Spelling isn't really rated in the IT world.

>> Nor, judging by my new cow-orker, is intelligence or ability.

> Orking cows does demand certain skills, though.

I'm not sure it would require 'skills', although I could
suggest the following would be useful...

- A small step-ladder.
- A complete lack of fear.
- A sick perverted mind.
- The ability to run *really* fast, in case the cow disagrees
with being 'orked'...

:-)

Kind regards,

Chris Wilkinson, Edinburgh.

Gib Bogle 10-11-2008 10:17 PM

Re: Please, Gods, No...

Gib Bogle 10-11-2008 10:19 PM

Re: Please, Gods, No...

Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
> In message <48f0719d$1@news.orcon.net.nz>, Puddle wrote:
>
>> Spelling isn't really rated in the IT world.

> Which is odd, considering how anal practically all programming languages and
> data syntaxes are about typos.

Yeah, but the interpreter/compiler catches them for you. The vocabulary
of any programming language is very limited, too.

Bruce Sinclair 10-12-2008 11:32 PM

Re: Please, Gods, No...

In article <48f0719d$1@news.orcon.net.nz>, Puddle <Puddle@invalid.xx> wrote:
>Tony in Oz wrote:
>> "Gordon" <Gordon@clear.net.nz> wrote in message > Really, Lawrence, you are
>> being some what tounge in cheek here.
>> Whats a "tounge"? And how come so many people have trouble spelling
>> the word "Tongue"? I see it all the time.

>Spelling isn't really rated in the IT world.

... and why wouldn't we spell it "tung" anyway ? :)

Lawrence D'Oliveiro 10-13-2008 01:35 AM

Re: Please, Gods, No...

In message <gcu1e9$8hs$3@aioe.org>, Bruce Sinclair wrote:

> In article <48f0719d$1@news.orcon.net.nz>, Puddle <Puddle@invalid.xx>
> wrote:
>>Tony in Oz wrote:
>>> "Gordon" <Gordon@clear.net.nz> wrote in message > Really, Lawrence, you
>>> are being some what tounge in cheek here.
>>> Whats a "tounge"? And how come so many people have trouble
>>> spelling
>>> the word "Tongue"? I see it all the time.

>>Spelling isn't really rated in the IT world.

> .. and why wouldn't we spell it "tung" anyway ? :)

Because some pronounce it "thung" or "t'hung".