Velocity Reviews

Velocity Reviews (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/index.php)
-   NZ Computing (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/f47-nz-computing.html)
-   -   Linux generates high rates of return (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t639029-linux-generates-high-rates-of-return.html)

impossible 10-09-2008 01:02 AM

Linux generates high rates of return
 
I don't mean return on investment....just return. Users who purchase
machines running Linux are 4 times more likely than any other to return them
to the retailer.

According to MSI:

http://blog.laptopmag.com/msi-wind-c...ls-coming-soon

"We have done a lot of studies on the return rates and haven't really talked
about it much until now. Our internal research has shown that the return of
netbooks is higher than regular notebooks, but the main cause of that is
Linux. People would love to pay $299 or $399 but they don't know what they
get until they open the box. They start playing around with Linux and start
realizing that it's not what they are used to. They don't want to spend time
to learn it so they bring it back to the store. The return rate is at least
four times higher for Linux netbooks than Windows XP netbooks."


peterwn 10-09-2008 01:46 AM

Re: Linux generates high rates of return
 
On Oct 9, 2:02 pm, "impossible" <impossi...@nospam.net> wrote:
> I don't mean return on investment....just return. Users who purchase
> machines running Linux are 4 times more likely than any other to return them
> to the retailer.
>
> According to MSI:
>
> http://blog.laptopmag.com/msi-wind-c...iler-new-model...
>
> "We have done a lot of studies on the return rates and haven't really talked
> about it much until now. Our internal research has shown that the return of
> netbooks is higher than regular notebooks, but the main cause of that is
> Linux. People would love to pay $299 or $399 but they don't know what they
> get until they open the box. They start playing around with Linux and start
> realizing that it's not what they are used to. They don't want to spend time
> to learn it so they bring it back to the store. The return rate is at least
> four times higher for Linux netbooks than Windows XP netbooks."


The message has obviously gone out from Redmond to spam computing
newsgroups with Micto$oft favourable propaganda. It is bleeding
obvious from these recent postings.

Is "Imposiiible", Brett Roberts?

Gordon 10-09-2008 07:52 AM

Re: Linux generates high rates of return
 
On 2008-10-09, impossible <impossible@nospam.net> wrote:
> I don't mean return on investment....just return. Users who purchase
> machines running Linux are 4 times more likely than any other to return them
> to the retailer.
>

Cavenat empotor. (spelling ?)

So what? as Pink sings. Is this not to be expected?

Now, who pays this blogger?

Vista, lets us not forget this improvement from Microsoft.

Will Spencer 10-09-2008 10:57 AM

Re: Linux generates high rates of return
 
On Thu, 09 Oct 2008 01:02:23 GMT, impossible wrote:

> I don't mean return on investment....just return. Users who purchase
> machines running Linux are 4 times more likely than any other to return them
> to the retailer.


It's called taking out the trash.

-ws

impossible 10-09-2008 11:11 AM

Re: Linux generates high rates of return
 
"peterwn" <peterwn@paradise.net.nz> wrote in message
news:02a703b1-7ce2-4909-b826-379b966285aa@z18g2000prn.googlegroups.com...
> On Oct 9, 2:02 pm, "impossible" <impossi...@nospam.net> wrote:
>> I don't mean return on investment....just return. Users who purchase
>> machines running Linux are 4 times more likely than any other to return
>> them
>> to the retailer.
>>
>> According to MSI:
>>
>> http://blog.laptopmag.com/msi-wind-c...iler-new-model...
>>
>> "We have done a lot of studies on the return rates and haven't really
>> talked
>> about it much until now. Our internal research has shown that the return
>> of
>> netbooks is higher than regular notebooks, but the main cause of that is
>> Linux. People would love to pay $299 or $399 but they don't know what
>> they
>> get until they open the box. They start playing around with Linux and
>> start
>> realizing that it's not what they are used to. They don't want to spend
>> time
>> to learn it so they bring it back to the store. The return rate is at
>> least
>> four times higher for Linux netbooks than Windows XP netbooks."

>
> The message has obviously gone out from Redmond to spam computing
> newsgroups with Micto$oft favourable propaganda. It is bleeding
> obvious from these recent postings.
>
> Is "Imposiiible", Brett Roberts?


Typical dodge from someone auditioning to be an IBM mouthpiece. peterwn
never speaks to the issue -- never. That doesn't change the fact that users
retrun Linux machines at 4 times thrate they return anything else. Got an
answer for that, you miserable little troll?


impossible 10-09-2008 11:13 AM

Re: Linux generates high rates of return
 
"thingy" <thingy@nowhere.commy> wrote in message
news:48ed7749$1@clear.net.nz...
> Allistar wrote:
>> impossible wrote:
>>
>>> I don't mean return on investment....just return. Users who purchase
>>> machines running Linux are 4 times more likely than any other to return
>>> them to the retailer.
>>>
>>> According to MSI:
>>>
>>>

>> http://blog.laptopmag.com/msi-wind-c...ls-coming-soon
>>> "We have done a lot of studies on the return rates and haven't really
>>> talked about it much until now. Our internal research has shown that the
>>> return of netbooks is higher than regular notebooks, but the main cause
>>> of
>>> that is Linux. People would love to pay $299 or $399 but they don't know
>>> what they get until they open the box. They start playing around with
>>> Linux and start realizing that it's not what they are used to. They
>>> don't
>>> want to spend time to learn it so they bring it back to the store. The
>>> return rate is at least four times higher for Linux netbooks than
>>> Windows
>>> XP netbooks."

>>
>> Hardly a fault with Linux. Being "different" isn't a bad thing.

>
> not what they are used to........not it does not work....ah well.....so
> pay...thats the beauty of choice.....
>


Exactly. And it's no wonder then that Asus has replaced Linmux on most of
its EEE's with XP. Given a choice, users tend to prefer Windows.


impossible 10-09-2008 11:17 AM

Re: Linux generates high rates of return
 
"Gordon" <Gordon@clear.net.nz> wrote in message
news:6l5rilFa7th2U4@mid.individual.net...
> On 2008-10-09, impossible <impossible@nospam.net> wrote:
>> I don't mean return on investment....just return. Users who purchase
>> machines running Linux are 4 times more likely than any other to return
>> them
>> to the retailer.
>>

> Cavenat empotor. (spelling ?)
>
> So what? as Pink sings. Is this not to be expected?
>


I would have expected that, yes, because there are hardly any desktop
applications that Linux users can use. Staring at a bare desktop gets old
pretty quick.

> Now, who pays this blogger?
>


It's never a good idea to delelet from my posts the answer to your question.

According to MSI:

http://blog.laptopmag.com/msi-wind-c...ls-coming-soon

"We have done a lot of studies on the return rates and haven't really talked
about it much until now. Our internal research has shown that the return of
netbooks is higher than regular notebooks, but the main cause of that is
Linux. People would love to pay $299 or $399 but they don't know what they
get until they open the box. They start playing around with Linux and start
realizing that it's not what they are used to. They don't want to spend time
to learn it so they bring it back to the store. The return rate is at least
four times higher for Linux netbooks than Windows XP netbooks."

> Vista, lets us not forget this improvement from Microsoft.


Nah, it's all about the applications -- other than a browser, Linux has none
that people want.


impossible 10-09-2008 11:26 AM

Re: Linux generates high rates of return
 
"Bret" <at@at.corn> wrote in message
news:1gllq93y1140g.12fj156dddq9m$.dlg@40tude.net.. .
> On Wed, 8 Oct 2008 18:46:05 -0700 (PDT), peterwn wrote:
>
>> On Oct 9, 2:02 pm, "impossible" <impossi...@nospam.net> wrote:
>>> I don't mean return on investment....just return. Users who purchase
>>> machines running Linux are 4 times more likely than any other to return
>>> them
>>> to the retailer.
>>>
>>> According to MSI:
>>>
>>> http://blog.laptopmag.com/msi-wind-c...iler-new-model...
>>>
>>> "We have done a lot of studies on the return rates and haven't really
>>> talked
>>> about it much until now. Our internal research has shown that the return
>>> of
>>> netbooks is higher than regular notebooks, but the main cause of that is
>>> Linux. People would love to pay $299 or $399 but they don't know what
>>> they
>>> get until they open the box. They start playing around with Linux and
>>> start
>>> realizing that it's not what they are used to. They don't want to spend
>>> time
>>> to learn it so they bring it back to the store. The return rate is at
>>> least
>>> four times higher for Linux netbooks than Windows XP netbooks."

>>
>> The message has obviously gone out from Redmond to spam computing
>> newsgroups with Micto$oft favourable propaganda. It is bleeding
>> obvious from these recent postings.
>>
>> Is "Imposiiible", Brett Roberts?

>
> LOL, that idea occured to me to, anyone else?


And so Bret the Snake climbs out from his hole once agin to hiss. Now scat!


impossible 10-09-2008 11:10 PM

Re: Linux generates high rates of return
 
"Bret" <at@at.corn> wrote in message
news:96ji146pwufg$.i16u6y71bec7.dlg@40tude.net...
> On Thu, 09 Oct 2008 11:26:48 GMT, impossible wrote:
>
>> "Bret" <at@at.corn> wrote in message
>> news:1gllq93y1140g.12fj156dddq9m$.dlg@40tude.net.. .
>>> On Wed, 8 Oct 2008 18:46:05 -0700 (PDT), peterwn wrote:
>>>
>>>> On Oct 9, 2:02 pm, "impossible" <impossi...@nospam.net> wrote:
>>>>> I don't mean return on investment....just return. Users who purchase
>>>>> machines running Linux are 4 times more likely than any other to
>>>>> return
>>>>> them
>>>>> to the retailer.
>>>>>
>>>>> According to MSI:
>>>>>
>>>>> http://blog.laptopmag.com/msi-wind-c...iler-new-model...
>>>>>
>>>>> "We have done a lot of studies on the return rates and haven't really
>>>>> talked
>>>>> about it much until now. Our internal research has shown that the
>>>>> return
>>>>> of
>>>>> netbooks is higher than regular notebooks, but the main cause of that
>>>>> is
>>>>> Linux. People would love to pay $299 or $399 but they don't know what
>>>>> they
>>>>> get until they open the box. They start playing around with Linux and
>>>>> start
>>>>> realizing that it's not what they are used to. They don't want to
>>>>> spend
>>>>> time
>>>>> to learn it so they bring it back to the store. The return rate is at
>>>>> least
>>>>> four times higher for Linux netbooks than Windows XP netbooks."
>>>>
>>>> The message has obviously gone out from Redmond to spam computing
>>>> newsgroups with Micto$oft favourable propaganda. It is bleeding
>>>> obvious from these recent postings.
>>>>
>>>> Is "Imposiiible", Brett Roberts?
>>>
>>> LOL, that idea occured to me to, anyone else?

>>
>> And so Bret the Snake climbs out from his hole once agin to hiss. Now
>> scat!

>
> Interesting choice of insult, Bret the snake has a son named Jake which
> brings to mind the wrestler Jake the snake "ROBERTS"


Hmm....I suppose it's good for you to have expertise in *something*.


impossible 10-09-2008 11:25 PM

Re: Linux generates high rates of return
 
"Allistar" <b@c.com> wrote in message
news:NZednbLQysyU8nPVnZ2dnUVZ_gidnZ2d@giganews.com ...
> impossible wrote:
>
>> "thingy" <thingy@nowhere.commy> wrote in message
>> news:48ed7749$1@clear.net.nz...
>>> Allistar wrote:
>>>> impossible wrote:
>>>>
>>>>> I don't mean return on investment....just return. Users who purchase
>>>>> machines running Linux are 4 times more likely than any other to
>>>>> return
>>>>> them to the retailer.
>>>>>
>>>>> According to MSI:
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>

> http://blog.laptopmag.com/msi-wind-c...ls-coming-soon
>>>>> "We have done a lot of studies on the return rates and haven't really
>>>>> talked about it much until now. Our internal research has shown that
>>>>> the return of netbooks is higher than regular notebooks, but the main
>>>>> cause of
>>>>> that is Linux. People would love to pay $299 or $399 but they don't
>>>>> know what they get until they open the box. They start playing around
>>>>> with Linux and start realizing that it's not what they are used to.
>>>>> They don't
>>>>> want to spend time to learn it so they bring it back to the store. The
>>>>> return rate is at least four times higher for Linux netbooks than
>>>>> Windows
>>>>> XP netbooks."
>>>>
>>>> Hardly a fault with Linux. Being "different" isn't a bad thing.
>>>
>>> not what they are used to........not it does not work....ah well.....so
>>> pay...thats the beauty of choice.....
>>>

>>
>> Exactly. And it's no wonder then that Asus has replaced Linmux on most of
>> its EEE's with XP. Given a choice, users tend to prefer Windows.

>
> Yes, because that's what most people are used to. That's changing though,
> if
> only slowly.
> --


You could get away with saying that....oh, what?....5-6 years ago? But
without good desktop applications, Linux use will continue to stagnate.
Users are initially attracted to Linux machines because they're cheaper. But
once they realize that the alternatives to Microsoft Office, Autocad,
Photoshop, etc that run on Linux are abysmal by comparison, they trade those
machines in for the real thing -- Windows.



All times are GMT. The time now is 10:16 PM.

Powered by vBulletin®. Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.