Velocity Reviews

-   -   Linux use stagnates again (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t639023-linux-use-stagnates-again.html)

impossible 10-09-2008 12:48 AM

Linux use stagnates again

One year ago, Linux use finally climbed ahead of Win98 use at 1.37%. Then by
February of 2008, Linux use reached the 2 % mark, with everyone expecting it
to soon outstrip the venerable Win2k. Alas, in just 8 short months, the
growth of Vista use (+90%) seems to have throttled the Linux bandwagon.
Linux use rermains stuck at 1.99% -- meanwhile Max OS X has climbed 14%.
What a shame!

Jekyll and Hyde 10-09-2008 05:02 AM

Re: Linux use stagnates again

"impossible" <impossible@nospam.net> wrote in message
> One year ago, Linux use finally climbed ahead of Win98 use at 1.37%. Then
> by February of 2008, Linux use reached the 2 % mark, with everyone
> expecting it to soon outstrip the venerable Win2k. Alas, in just 8 short
> months, the growth of Vista use (+90%) seems to have throttled the Linux
> bandwagon. Linux use rermains stuck at 1.99% -- meanwhile Max OS X has
> climbed 14%. What a shame!

Where are those figures from?

Windows XP 71.83%
Vista 15.56%
MacIntel 4.98%
Mac OS 2.74%
Windows 2000 2.22%
Linux 0.75%

http://marketshare.hitslink.com/repo...me=Y&qpsp=2008

Of course due to the data collection these number represent "desktop" users
only.

J&H.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro 10-09-2008 05:45 AM

Re: Linux use growing

In message <48ed7845$1@clear.net.nz>, thingy wrote:

> Even registering 2% desktops is pretty good IMHO...

Could see more in future. The UK reported PC sales channel market share of
2.8% in June
<http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/08/01/linux-preloads-rocket-per-cent>,
showing a growing trend since the beginning of the year.

Seems to have benefited from the introduction of Vista. :)

Gordon 10-09-2008 07:56 AM

On 2008-10-09, impossible <impossible@nospam.net> wrote:
> One year ago, Linux use finally climbed ahead of Win98 use at 1.37%. Then by
> February of 2008, Linux use reached the 2 % mark, with everyone expecting it
> to soon outstrip the venerable Win2k. Alas, in just 8 short months, the
> growth of Vista use (+90%) seems to have throttled the Linux bandwagon.
> Linux use rermains stuck at 1.99% -- meanwhile Max OS X has climbed 14%.
> What a shame!

Ms Penguin has just come in from the real world, shae says you are a troll.
At best you are so 1999.

Will Spencer 10-09-2008 11:00 AM

On Thu, 09 Oct 2008 00:48:31 GMT, impossible wrote:

> One year ago, Linux use finally climbed ahead of Win98 use at 1.37%. Then by
> February of 2008, Linux use reached the 2 % mark, with everyone expecting it
> to soon outstrip the venerable Win2k. Alas, in just 8 short months, the
> growth of Vista use (+90%) seems to have throttled the Linux bandwagon.
> Linux use rermains stuck at 1.99% -- meanwhile Max OS X has climbed 14%.
> What a shame!

They give it away for free and still nobody wants it. Just shows what a
load of **** it is, ay?

-ws

Will Spencer 10-09-2008 11:04 AM

Re: Linux use growing

"Linux use growing"

How many decades have they been saying that now? I guess the growth rate
must be 0.00000001% or some ****. Lol.

-ws

impossible 10-09-2008 11:20 AM

news:n4WdnUasIKNL73DVnZ2dnUVZ_trinZ2d@giganews.com ...

http://www.w3counter.com/globalstats.php

impossible 10-09-2008 11:23 AM

"thingy" <thingy@nowhere.commy> wrote in message
> thingy wrote:
>> Allistar wrote:

>>> How do they distinguish different machines behind a NAT firewall, or
>>> behind
>>> a proxy server?

>> Not really up on it, I think there is a query on what browser in order
>> for the web server to determine how to display, you can even forge it if
>> you want to.
>>
>> regards
>>
>> thing
>>

> 2% from negligable is still a good % expansion....it also depends on where
> or what sites they measured off...if it was MSN or hotmail I'd expect a
> biased result, if it was google then closer to the "truth".
>
> Whats also interesting was 14% for Mac Os up from 4% (I think it was) for
> many years. If people ask me I pretty much suggest a Mac if starting from
> scratch...way less "real" security issues....

up 14% means up from 4.95% in Feb 2008 to 5.62% in Sept 2008.

> Not sure when that climb started, when vista was released maybe?

Vista use first edged past Mac OS X back in December 2007.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro 10-09-2008 11:25 AM

Re: Linux use growing

In message <djfw8foi46m0.8jp3ok7bk33q.dlg@40tude.net>, Will Spencer wrote:

>In message <gck5p0$pp7$1@lust.ihug.co.nz>, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
>
>> In message <48ed7845$1@clear.net.nz>, thingy wrote:
>>
>> Even registering 2% desktops is pretty good IMHO...
>>
>> Could see more in future. The UK reported PC sales channel market share

of
>> 2.8% in June

<http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/08/01/linux-preloads-rocket-per-cent>,
>> showing a growing trend since the beginning of the year.
>>
>> Seems to have benefited from the introduction of Vista. :)

> "Linux use growing"
>
> How many decades have they been saying that now? I guess the growth rate
> must be 0.00000001% or some ****. Lol.

Well, Lol, if you read the article I referenced, Lol, you'll see, Lol, that
Linux market share increased by 28 times since the introduction of Vista,
Lol.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro 10-09-2008 11:34 AM

Re: Linux use growing

In message <48ed8c92$1@clear.net.nz>, thingy wrote:

> 2% from negligable is still a good % expansion....it also depends on
> where or what sites they measured off...if it was MSN or hotmail I'd
> expect a biased result, if it was google then closer to the "truth".
>
> Whats also interesting was 14% for Mac Os up from 4% (I think it was)
> for many years.

Which shows just how wildly out the figures are. Even in the US, Apple's
market share is only up to 8%, slightly over 3% worldwide.

Here's another measure of Linux market penetration: it seems you can't pick
up any computer magazine these days, without seeing pages and pages devoted
to Linux--much more so than for Macs. This is no momentary fad, it seems to
have been growing for the last five years or so.

Now, those magazines are in the business to make money, so clearly their
readership is welcoming that coverage, otherwise they would have dropped
it. Taking things in proportion, then Linux penetration among readers of
computer magazines must be at least 10%.