Velocity Reviews

-   -   MS e-learning courses - anyone used them? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t638546-ms-e-learning-courses-anyone-used-them.html)

Mungus 10-06-2008 12:01 PM

MS e-learning courses - anyone used them?

Hello,

Just wondering if anyone here has used the MS e-learning online courses?
I'm thinking of signing up for the Exchange 2003 ones (5148/5149) because I
can't find a classroom based course locally. Are they as good? Do they have
simulations for hands-on stuff?

Any opinions gratefully received!

Dude 10-07-2008 07:13 AM

RE: MS e-learning courses - anyone used them?

I used a couple of free trials when I was studying for the Server 2008 exams.
I thought they were pretty good, for free anyway. The information in these
courses seemed more relevant than Microsoft MOC books for example. I don't
remember any labs, but maybe there were a few simulations. These were very
short courses, so maybe the longer ones have more hands on stuff? One
problem with online courses is that they are Bore-ing. I can barely sit
through a couple of 1 hour courses. Another problem with online courses is
that you can't aske the instructor any questions. You can always lookup your
questions in the Technet Knowlegebase though. That worked for me.

Mungus 10-07-2008 08:11 AM

RE: MS e-learning courses - anyone used them?

Thanks for that, dude. I can see that it might be a boring way to study, but
then again I find 5 day courses can be a bit of an ordeal too.

Anyone else had a go?

Jonathan Roberts 10-08-2008 12:35 AM

Mungus wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Just wondering if anyone here has used the MS e-learning online courses?
> I'm thinking of signing up for the Exchange 2003 ones (5148/5149) because I
> can't find a classroom based course locally. Are they as good? Do they have
> simulations for hands-on stuff?
>
> Any opinions gratefully received!

I used the free e-learning for 70-431 (SQL 2005). I thought it was
good. I liked that it was self-paced as you could skip easy topics and
re-play others if needed.

Good luck.