Velocity Reviews

-   -   Re: It just won’t die: Windows XP gets another six months (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t638471-re-it-just-won-t-die-windows-xp-gets-another-six-months.html)

Bobs 10-06-2008 12:27 AM

On Oct 5, 6:34*pm, thingy <thi...@nowhere.commy> wrote:
> OZZY Boy wrote:
> > Redmond (WA) – Microsoft has stepped up its effort to promote its Vista operating system, but
> > Windows XP just isn’t going away. *The company reportedly extended the OEM downgrade timeline once
> > again: As of now, system builders can still offer Windows XP downgrades to their customers and will
> > be able to do so until Vista’s second birthday. *

> >http://www.tgdaily.com/content/view/39594/140/

> It's not called ME2 for nothing...but it will be like XP, couple of
> years and it will stabilise....
>
> regards
>
> Thing

Vista needs serious hardware to run. I like it on my comp, but my pc
is high end (quad core, 4 gig ram). Laptops should all be shipping
with XP.

I see HP, for example, ship their mini-laptops (Atom cpu, 1 gig ram,
low spec stuff) with Vista which is ridiculous. Even a new install
must crawl. First thing I would do if I bought that is format and put
on XP and watch it fly

Bobs 10-06-2008 12:28 AM

Actually, apparently HP ship VIA cpu's in those laptops. ****ing yuck.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro 10-06-2008 12:58 AM

Re: It just won’t die: Windows XP gets another six months

In message
<6c055503-40ff-4d3b-a34c-bb833ef442ff@a29g2000pra.googlegroups.com>, Bobs
wrote:

> On Oct 6, 1:27Â*pm, Bobs <mcaula...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I see HP, for example, ship their mini-laptops (Atom cpu, 1 gig ram,
>> low spec stuff) with Vista which is ridiculous. Even a new install
>> must crawl. First thing I would do if I bought that is format and put
>> on XP and watch it fly

> Actually, apparently HP ship VIA cpu's in those laptops. ****ing yuck.

Should work adequately under Linux, though.

Geopelia 10-06-2008 02:10 AM

Re: It just won't die: Windows XP gets another six months

I like XP. It's a great improvement on ME, which I started with.

But isn't there something called Longhorn coming?

Geopelia

Lawrence D'Oliveiro 10-06-2008 03:52 AM

In message <gcbs3n$npv$1@registered.motzarella.org>, Geopelia wrote:

> I like XP. It's a great improvement on ME, which I started with.

*Anything* would have been a great improvement on ME. :)

> But isn't there something called Longhorn coming?

That was the codename for Vista.

Have you looked at these mini-notebooks/netbooks, like the Asus Eee?

Geopelia 10-06-2008 10:21 AM

"Lawrence D'Oliveiro" <ldo@geek-central.gen.new_zealand> wrote in message
> In message <gcbs3n$npv$1@registered.motzarella.org>, Geopelia wrote:
>
>> I like XP. It's a great improvement on ME, which I started with.

> *Anything* would have been a great improvement on ME. :)
>
>> But isn't there something called Longhorn coming?

> That was the codename for Vista.
>
> Have you looked at these mini-notebooks/netbooks, like the Asus Eee?

No, I've just had this computer completely refurbished. I wouldn't need a
notebook as well.
I think the keyboard would be too small for me on these laptops, anyway, and
I need a big monitor.

Geopelia

Geopelia 10-07-2008 03:15 AM

> "Geopelia" <phildoran@xtra.co.nz> wrote in message
>>
>> "Lawrence D'Oliveiro" <ldo@geek-central.gen.new_zealand> wrote in message

>>> *Anything* would have been a great improvement on ME. :)

>>> That was the codename for Vista.
>>>
>>> Have you looked at these mini-notebooks/netbooks, like the Asus Eee?

>> No, I've just had this computer completely refurbished. I wouldn't need a
>> notebook as well.
>> I think the keyboard would be too small for me on these laptops, anyway,
>> and I need a big monitor.
>>
>> Geopelia

> He's not talking about real laptops with at least 15 inch screens, he's
> talking about novelty computers with small 7 inch screens.
>
> E. Scrooge

Much too small for me. I increase the magnification to read the internet. A
tiny screen would be no use to me.
I like the 19 inch screen, anyway.

And the keys are too small and close together for my large paws.

Geopelia

Lawrence D'Oliveiro 10-07-2008 03:38 AM

In message <gcek9h$r3q$1@registered.motzarella.org>, Geopelia wrote:

> And the keys are too small and close together for my large paws.

You have large paws?? My piano teacher told me I had large hands (I can
strike tenths no problem), yet I can type on the little Eee keyboard,
that's not one of the features that annoys me.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro 10-07-2008 04:19 AM

Re: It just won't die: Windows XP gets another six months

In message <gcek9h$r3q$1@registered.motzarella.org>, Geopelia wrote:

> A tiny screen would be no use to me.
>
> And the keys are too small and close together for my large paws.

There's an Eee for every taste ... how about one of these
<http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2008/10/06/review_netbook_asus_eee_pc_1000/>,
then?

Geopelia 10-07-2008 10:18 AM

> "Lawrence D'Oliveiro" <ldo@geek-central.gen.new_zealand> wrote in message
>> In message <gcek9h$r3q$1@registered.motzarella.org>, Geopelia wrote:
>>
>>> And the keys are too small and close together for my large paws.

>> You have large paws?? My piano teacher told me I had large hands (I can
>> strike tenths no problem), yet I can type on the little Eee keyboard,
>> that's not one of the features that annoys me.

> Sticking pins in the end of your fingers to hit all the small keys without
> mistakes is hardly the option that everyone else would be all that keen
> on.
>
> E. Scrooge

I need the biggest size in gloves, fortunately I rarely wear any.
And the biggest size in wedding rings.
But at least I don't have those horrible long square ended nails that seem
to be fashionable today.