Velocity Reviews

-   -   why can't these programs be deleted? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t638276-why-cant-these-programs-be-deleted.html)

Christie 10-04-2008 12:10 AM

why can't these programs be deleted?

Why can't one remove some programs in windows, such as netmeeting,
moviemaker, msn gaming? They use a lot of resources, and I never have and
never will use them.

Any way to remove them permanently?

Paul 10-04-2008 12:29 AM

Re: why can't these programs be deleted?

Christie wrote:
> Why can't one remove some programs in windows, such as netmeeting,
> moviemaker, msn gaming? They use a lot of resources, and I never have and
> never will use them.
>
> Any way to remove them permanently?

The OS is modular, and this outfit has a product where you
use tickboxes to set what parts to install or not. It is
still tricky of course, but does suggest a lot of cruft
could be removed, if you knew how.

http://www.litepc.com/xplite.html

Paul

Christie 10-05-2008 02:59 AM

Re: why can't these programs be deleted?

Thanks.

I have since figured out how, and deleted Moviemaker, MSN games and Net
meeting. This can only be done in Safe Mode and by knowing other
particulars to achieve it.

Jeff Strickland 10-05-2008 03:57 PM

"Christie" <phurrballs@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Why can't one remove some programs in windows, such as netmeeting,
> moviemaker, msn gaming? They use a lot of resources, and I never have
> and never will use them.
>
> Any way to remove them permanently?

They don't use any resources if they are not running. They take a small
amount of space, but they do not use any resources.

You can go to Start>Settings>Control Panel and select Add or Remove
Programs, and remove some of them.

Christie 10-06-2008 12:40 AM

"Jeff Strickland" <crwlr@verizon.net> wrote in message
> They don't use any resources if they are not running. They take a small
> amount of space, but they do not use any resources.
>
> You can go to Start>Settings>Control Panel and select Add or Remove
> Programs, and remove some of them.

They do use up space on your computer, removing Moviemaker, Netmeeting and
MSN games freed up quite a bit. Why keep them if you aren't using them.
And no, these three programs did not show up in Add/Remove, nor would they
let you delete them. You delete them, and within a minute they would
reappear. You have to go into Safe Mode and put in a special string of text
in RUN in order to remove them completely from your computer.

Jeff Strickland 10-06-2008 12:49 AM

> "Jeff Strickland" <crwlr@verizon.net> wrote in message
>> They don't use any resources if they are not running. They take a small
>> amount of space, but they do not use any resources.
>>
>> You can go to Start>Settings>Control Panel and select Add or Remove
>> Programs, and remove some of them.

> They do use up space on your computer, removing Moviemaker, Netmeeting and
> MSN games freed up quite a bit. Why keep them if you aren't using them.
> And no, these three programs did not show up in Add/Remove, nor would they
> let you delete them. You delete them, and within a minute they would
> reappear. You have to go into Safe Mode and put in a special string of
> text in RUN in order to remove them completely from your computer.

NetMeeting takes 3M on my PC. Hardly an issue for space. It takes NO memory
if it is not running, therefore no resources. It takes space, but no
resources.

Robbing resources is a program that takes memory.

Christie 10-07-2008 12:18 AM

Re: why can't these programs be deleted?

so what's your point? I can't remove it because it's not worth it to you?