Velocity Reviews

-   -   Mozilla FF ad-block (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t637769-mozilla-ff-ad-block.html)

Warren DesJardins 10-01-2008 05:08 AM

Mozilla FF ad-block

I added "Adblock Plus 0.7.5.5" to Mozilla FF but it's not blocking ads. I
have to right click every ad and then click "ad-block." What's the use? It
takes longer to block them then scroll past them. Is there a way to block
ads where I don't have to see them at all? I have no idea how to write
filters or use wildcards.... or even what they are.

TIA........

Rom 10-01-2008 07:00 AM

Re: Mozilla FF ad-block

On Wed, 1 Oct 2008 00:08:35 -0500, Warren DesJardins wrote:

> I added "Adblock Plus 0.7.5.5" to Mozilla FF but it's not blocking ads. I
> have to right click every ad and then click "ad-block." What's the use? It
> takes longer to block them then scroll past them. Is there a way to block
> ads where I don't have to see them at all? I have no idea how to write
> filters or use wildcards.... or even what they are.

Did you subscribe to a filter list after install and restarting Fx?
If not, they are pre-compiled filters and what you're looking for or
need, can be optionally (auto-)updated. Looking at the filters may
help to understand, to edit or write/add your own if wanting to.

Go to Adblock Preferences via the toolbar button, or status bar
button, or its Options in Add-ons, then to Filters (menu) > Add filter
subscription. I'd suggest the EasyList to start with, and below the
drop-down list containing some filter subscriptions there's also a
"View all subscriptions" link for more and/or to further info.

--
Rom

Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo 10-01-2008 03:15 PM

Re: Mozilla FF ad-block

Warren DesJardins wrote:
> I added "Adblock Plus 0.7.5.5" to Mozilla FF but it's not blocking ads.
> I have to right click every ad and then click "ad-block." What's the
> use? It takes longer to block them then scroll past them. Is there a way
> to block ads where I don't have to see them at all? I have no idea how
> to write filters or use wildcards.... or even what they are.
>
> TIA........

go and ask them how to work it:
http://adblockplus.org/forum/

help!!!!

http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo 10-03-2008 02:56 AM

Re: Mozilla FF ad-block

Warren DesJardins wrote:

> "Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo"
> <peter.potamus.the.purple.hippo@gmail.com> wrote in message
> news:48e392ca$0$23557$834e42db@reader.greatnowhere .com...
>> Warren DesJardins wrote:
>>> I added "Adblock Plus 0.7.5.5" to Mozilla FF but it's not blocking
>>> ads. I have to right click every ad and then click "ad-block."
>>> What's the use? It takes longer to block them then scroll past them.
>>> Is there a way to block ads where I don't have to see them at all? I
>>> have no idea how to write filters or use wildcards.... or even what
>>> they are.
>>>
>>> TIA........

>> go and ask them how to work it: http://adblockplus.org/forum/

> I thought that's what this newsgroup was for. I don't like Forums.

this newsgroup is on general usage of Mozilla products.
If you want help with specialized things, like adblock,
then its better to talk to the experts on those things.
Its better to go where they hang out.

Rom 10-03-2008 04:51 AM

Re: Mozilla FF ad-block

On Thu, 2 Oct 2008 21:28:40 -0500, Warren DesJardins wrote:

> "Rom" <-@-.invalid> wrote in message

[...]
>> Did you subscribe to a filter list after install and restarting Fx?

> I see no way to ad a filter list.

After installing Adblock Plus and restarting Fx, besides displaying
the Add-ons window, there's a "Welcome to Adblock Plus" window
displayed, which provides some info and an opportunity to subscribe to
a filter list then, see image <http://i37.tinypic.com/rms0af.jpg>.
If cancel that window and don't subscribe to a filter list, then
adding a filter subscription is up to you and can be done later -
manually, but it's not necessarily the easiest or intuitive for new
users.

>> Go to Adblock Preferences via the toolbar button, or status bar
>> button, or its Options in Add-ons, then to Filters (menu) > Add filter
>> subscription.

> How do you add them there? When I click on "add filter," a window opens that
> needs something typed in. What do I type in that filter window? When I
> ckick on "easy list", then update, nothing happens.

On the Filter menu select "Add filter subscription", not "Add filter"
- see this image <http://i37.tinypic.com/2eelav5.png>, which opens the
then drop down the menu and select the first EasyList as shown here
<http://i33.tinypic.com/2m7epa1.png>, and would have
<http://i34.tinypic.com/2v96b7a.png> so click OK, and after updating
you should have the filter subscription with filters displayed
<http://i36.tinypic.com/2cxhxqa.png>.

--
Rom

John Doe 11-29-2008 09:15 AM