Velocity Reviews

-   -   NVidia 178.13's are out (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t637049-nvidia-178-13s-are-out.html)

Carlos 09-25-2008 10:00 PM

NVidia 178.13's are out

A new set of NVidia drivers is available for GeForce 6-series, 7-series,
8-series, 9-series, and 200-series GPUs, with PhysX support
Vista x64
http://www.nvidia.com/object/winvist...8.13_whql.html
Carlos

Don 09-25-2008 10:10 PM

Re: NVidia 178.13's are out

"Carlos" <Carlos@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> A new set of NVidia drivers is available for GeForce 6-series, 7-series,
> 8-series, 9-series, and 200-series GPUs, with PhysX support
> Vista x64
> http://www.nvidia.com/object/winvist...8.13_whql.html
> Carlos

Thanks for the heads up Carlos!

Not sure I quite understand, this PhysX support thing, but I guess that
doesn't really matter.

--
Don

Carlos 09-25-2008 10:48 PM

Re: NVidia 178.13's are out

A while back, a company named Ageia introduced an add-in (additional) card
for processing the physics parts of the games, thus freeing the videocard GPU
from that task and allowing for more realistics effects.
Later on (guess what!), Nvidia bought (swallowed) Ageia and added that
know-how in their drivers by using spare capacity of their GPU's.
That's "PhysX" more or less: If you have a qualifying NVidia card you get
PhysX as a bonus.
Carlos

Don 09-26-2008 01:15 AM

Re: NVidia 178.13's are out

Interesting,

So I have an 8800 GTS, does the program, have to be written to take
advantage of this aspect? Or does it benefit most all d3d programs/games?

Thanks for the info!

--
Don

Carlos 09-26-2008 01:26 AM

Re: NVidia 178.13's are out

Don,
The program has to be written to take advantage of those features.
Your 8800GTS qualifies for PhysX.
Carlos

Don 09-26-2008 01:55 AM

Re: NVidia 178.13's are out

Thanks Carlos, now I have a better understanding.

--
Don

Carlos 09-26-2008 10:18 AM

Re: NVidia 178.13's are out

Don,
You will find PhysX patches for some popular games and free demos here:
http://www.nvidia.com/content/forcew...s/download.asp
Carlos