Velocity Reviews

-   -   Will 3.5 replace? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t636830-will-3-5-replace.html)

David C 09-24-2008 04:10 PM

Will 3.5 replace?

We are using .Net 2.0 for all our asp.net applications. I would like to
start building new ones in 3.5 but I wondered if I could remove 2.0 once 3.5
is installed? Thanks.

Also, would I have to change my App Pools on IIS?

David

David Wier 09-24-2008 05:07 PM

Re: Will 3.5 replace?

3.5 justs adds features to 2.0 - - you can use both in the same environment.
VS.Net 2008 will let you set the version of your application

David Wier
http://aspnet101.com
bloated markup

Mark Fitzpatrick 09-24-2008 06:03 PM

Re: Will 3.5 replace?

No, you can't remove it. The 3.0 and 3.5 Frameworks only add features and
are not full-blown frameworks individual. The 2.0 framework was a full set,
as was 1.x, but after that it's incremental. Removing the 2.0 framework
would therefore break the 3.0 and 3.5 frameworks.

Hope this helps,
Mark Fitzpatrick
Microsoft MVP - Expression

Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\) 09-24-2008 07:47 PM

Re: Will 3.5 replace?

"David C" <dlchase@lifetimeinc.com> wrote in message
> We are using .Net 2.0 for all our asp.net applications. I would like to
> start building new ones in 3.5 but I wondered if I could remove 2.0 once
> 3.5 is installed? Thanks.

No. 3.5 is an add on to 2.0.

> Also, would I have to change my App Pools on IIS?

It will make them 3.5.

--
Gregory A. Beamer
MVP, MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA

Subscribe to my blog

or just read it:

| Think outside the box! |

Juan T. Llibre 09-24-2008 09:59 PM

Re: Will 3.5 replace?

re:
!> I wondered if I could remove 2.0 once 3.5 is installed?

No, you won't be able to because 3.5 targets the 2.0 CLR.
If you remove 2.0, 3.5 will stop working.

Juan T. Llibre, asp.net MVP
asp.net faq : http://asp.net.do/faq/