Velocity Reviews

-   -   tracking down old usenet posts (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t636789-tracking-down-old-usenet-posts.html)

john b hamilton 09-24-2008 09:34 AM

tracking down old usenet posts

over the years, what with changing internet provider several times, i lose
track of usenet posts that have been posted in the past.

is it possible to find these doing a search with regard to the actual
computer that has been used. i.e. using some identity unique to that
computer?

R. McCarty 09-24-2008 09:42 AM

Re: tracking down old usenet posts

Not with a computer identity. Posts are generally archived and
searched by the posting address. You can use Google Groups
to locate your posts.
*The Advanced search options allows you to refine your search
to specific data such as Author, Subject...

Patrick Keenan 09-24-2008 02:32 PM

Re: tracking down old usenet posts

"john b hamilton" <bluestar@mail.invalid> wrote in message
> over the years, what with changing internet provider several times, i lose
> track of usenet posts that have been posted in the past.
>
> is it possible to find these doing a search with regard to the actual
> computer that has been used. i.e. using some identity unique to that
> computer?

Go to Google Groups and do an Advanced Groups Search on the name(s) you
posted under.

HTH
-pk

Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov 09-25-2008 02:01 AM

spooge <spooge@petitmorteREMOVETHIS.net> wrote:

>"john b hamilton" <bluestar@mail.invalid> wrote in
>
>> over the years, what with changing internet provider several times, i
>> lose track of usenet posts that have been posted in the past.
>>
>> is it possible to find these doing a search with regard to the actual
>> computer that has been used. i.e. using some identity unique to that
>> computer?

>Even on a group frequented by Richard 'Stoopid' Bullis, this may be one of
>the dumbest questions ever asked.

Not really, just too early.

In 10 years maybe this can be done, but it's coming, each computer
(some even now) will have a unique number that can/will identify it.

Read up on trusted computing.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trusted_computing
~and think DRM
--

1996 McDonalds Hamburger
http://tinyurl.com/3l2ukt

Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov 09-26-2008 08:34 PM

Re: tracking down old usenet posts

spooge <spooge@petitmorteREMOVETHIS.net> wrote:

>Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov wrote in
>news:5trld4h2lspt228g78ckdoupo3a1a43l5b@4ax.com :
>
>> spooge <spooge@petitmorteREMOVETHIS.net> wrote:
>>
>>>"john b hamilton" <bluestar@mail.invalid> wrote in

>>>Even on a group frequented by Richard 'Stoopid' Bullis, this may be
>>>one of the dumbest questions ever asked.

>> Not really, just too early.
>>
>> In 10 years maybe this can be done, but it's coming, each computer
>> (some even now) will have a unique number that can/will identify it.

>> Read up on trusted computing.
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trusted_computing
>> ~and think DRM

>That makes it a stupid question in the here and now.

Agreed, it's just my way of alerting people to what is coming and
possibly averting it.

--

Two Tens
http://www.flickr.com/photos/3085328...52691/sizes/o/