Velocity Reviews

-   -   Connection Problem with Wireless to Ethernet (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t636595-connection-problem-with-wireless-to-ethernet.html)

JB 09-23-2008 06:18 AM

Connection Problem with Wireless to Ethernet

Hi,

I have an XP(SP3) desktop connected via ethernet to a Zoom X6 modem/WAP,
Gateway/Switch.

A Vista HP (SP1) desktop is also wired to the Zoom.

Communication between these two work fine.

I also have a laptop Vista HP (SP1) on the wireless link and it communicates
with the XP box and the internet.

How do I make the Vista Laptop talk to the Vista desktop via wireless to the
Zoom device and then ethernet to the desktop?

Thanks, Mike

Robert L. \(MS-MVP\) 09-23-2008 01:41 PM

Re: Connection Problem with Wireless to Ethernet

Are they in the same subnet? Can hey ping each other?

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net

JB 09-24-2008 07:15 AM

Re: Connection Problem with Wireless to Ethernet

When I wrote the message, all three were on the same subnet but not all
boxes could ping each other.
That was with the firewalls shut off on all boxes

Today I left the firewalls up and put the physical address for the NIC in
each box in the Trusted zone of Norton's firewall setup form. After that,
all boxes see each other and can be pinged.

I have no idea why that did not work when the firewalls were (supposedly)
shut down. But anyway the communication problem is solved. I hope I have
not created a security problem.

Thanks for your input.

Mike

Robert L. \(MS-MVP\) 09-24-2008 01:50 PM

Re: Connection Problem with Wireless to Ethernet

Thank you for the update.