Velocity Reviews

-   -   Re: Instead of The 50D (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t636335-re-instead-of-the-50d.html)

Robert Coe 09-21-2008 10:40 AM

Re: Instead of The 50D

On Sun, 21 Sep 2008 05:51:43 +0100, "Paul" <a@a.com> wrote:
: Just been reading through some previews on the Canon 5D II and the 50D and
: it occurred to me that instead of releasing the 50D, I think a smaller
: version of the 1D III would have gone down better.

Smaller in what way? Form Factor? (The 1D3 is huge and weighs a ton.)
Megapixels? Doesn't the 50D stand almost exactly halfway between the 40D and
the 1D3?

: I think that there are a lot of people who would have liked something
: between the 40D and the 1D III. The 5D II is more of a studio/landscape
: cam, so doesn't really fit.

Then why is it so popular with wedding photographers? The 5D's problem isn't
that it's a niche camera; it's that it and its lenses are so expensive.

: The 1D III is a good bit of kit, but is too big and bulky and a bit
: too pricy,

A bit.

: but a smaller version of it would be pretty spot on.

I'll bet that's what the folks at Canon think the 50D is.

I predict that the 50D will be one of Canon's best sellers ever. One reason is
that it represents an obvious upwards migration path from the 300D/350D/400D
that sold so well a few years ago. The 40D and the 450D didn't fill that role
because their 10MP sensors weren't enough of a jump.

How would you configure your smaller 1D3, and what would it cost? I think if
you try to work it out, you'll come up with something that's either very like
the 50D (but probably more expensive) or overlaps too much with the new 5D.
Nikon (IMO) now has too many poorly differentiated models jockeying for the
same market share. I'd think Canon would want to avoid putting themselves in
that position.

Bob

Andrew MacPherson 09-21-2008 11:02 AM

Re: Instead of The 50D

Robert Coe wrote:

> I predict that the 50D will be one of Canon's best sellers ever.

I think you're probably right. The 40D only persuaded me to buy it
because it was amazing value for money earlier this year. The 50D,
however, is the camera I *wanted* to buy, and would happily have paid
more for at the time. It would certainly have stopped me looking at the
D300 anyway... which, I'm sure, is the whole point of this relatively
early update to the xxD line.

I may even end up buying a 50D sooner rather than later so I can get a
bit of resale value out of my 40D. Mind you, I've dragged it through a
few too many bushes this year... I suspect nobody will want it now
except me. :-)

Andrew McP

PS I do worry though that when the 60D comes out with video capability
I'll want that too... and some 64Gb CF cards.

Andrew MacPherson 09-21-2008 11:05 AM

Re: Instead of The 50D

Andrew MacPherson 09-21-2008 11:21 AM

Re: Instead of The 50D

Sorry for the double post. I'm trying a new news server and according to
my out-box that message hasn't even been sent once successfully, let
alone twice! :-)

Andrew McP

measekite 09-21-2008 05:04 PM

Re: Instead of The 50D

On Sun, 21 Sep 2008 10:42:24 -0600, Russell D. wrote:

> Focus wrote:
>> "Robert Coe" <bob@1776.COM> wrote in message
>>
>>> Then why is it so popular with wedding photographers? The 5D's problem
>>> isn't
>>> that it's a niche camera; it's that it and its lenses are so expensive.

>> The 5D is so popular with wedding photographers, that one that I know, is
>> selling his to get a D700.
>> We shot 2 different weddings together; me with a crappy Sony A350 and he
>> with the 5D. Guess what? A lot of his pictures completely clipped the white
>> wedding dress,

> My 40D was clipping the heck out highlights until I learned how to use
> it. Now it works great.
>
> Russell

Explain what you mean in how to use it. Specifically what do you do.

phil-news-nospam@ipal.net 09-21-2008 09:13 PM

Re: Instead of The 50D

In rec.photo.digital Robert Coe <bob@1776.com> wrote:

| I predict that the 50D will be one of Canon's best sellers ever. One reason is
| that it represents an obvious upwards migration path from the 300D/350D/400D
| that sold so well a few years ago. The 40D and the 450D didn't fill that role
| because their 10MP sensors weren't enough of a jump.

I though the 450D was 12,166,656 pixels while the 50D was 15,054,336 pixels.

| How would you configure your smaller 1D3, and what would it cost? I think if
| you try to work it out, you'll come up with something that's either very like
| the 50D (but probably more expensive) or overlaps too much with the new 5D.
| Nikon (IMO) now has too many poorly differentiated models jockeying for the
| same market share. I'd think Canon would want to avoid putting themselves in
| that position.

Looks to me like Canon has done that fairly well at this point.

Maurice Blanchard 09-22-2008 01:42 AM

Re: Instead of The 50D

"Focus" <not@nowhere.pt> a écrit dans le message de

> "Robert Coe" <bob@1776.COM> wrote in message
>
> > Then why is it so popular with wedding photographers? The 5D's problem
> > isn't
> > that it's a niche camera; it's that it and its lenses are so expensive.

> The 5D is so popular with wedding photographers, that one that I know, is
> selling his to get a D700.
> We shot 2 different weddings together; me with a crappy Sony A350 and he
> with the 5D. Guess what? A lot of his pictures completely clipped the

white
> wedding dress, with not a single piece of detail while the cheap Sony had
> not one single problem.
> Now he's so ****ed that he selling his 5D to get a Nikon D700 ;-)
>
> Canon always has had problems with light metering and AF, just to name a
> few. I experienced it with the 400D and with the 40D; hurrying them back

> the store.
> Even at half the price I wouldn't touch one with a ten foot pole!

your friend should buy a book about digital photography

Annika1980 09-22-2008 02:34 AM

Re: Instead of The 50D

> > My 40D was clipping the heck out highlights until I learned how to use
> > it. Now it works great.

> Explain what you mean in how to use it. *Specifically what do you do.-

Highlight Tone Priority set to ON.

Wolfgang Weisselberg 09-22-2008 04:57 PM

Re: Instead of The 50D

["Followup-To:" header set to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems.]
Russell D. <rmd@sfcn.org> wrote:

> I do shoot RAW (and JPG) but you cannot recover blown highlights even in
> RAW can you?

It depends how much they are blown. RAW has more latitude,
and if only one or two channels are blown, you can still
recover something, depending on the algorithm.

-Wolfgang

phil-news-nospam@ipal.net 09-23-2008 02:18 PM

Re: Instead of The 50D

In rec.photo.digital Alan Browne <alan.browne@freelunchvideotron.ca> wrote:

| A small amount of blown highlights is acceptable, even necessary in some
| images. Overdoing rejection of blown highlight based on a 'blinky'
| warning in the monitor could result in the rest of the image being over
| compressed into lower bit registers for no particularly good reason ...
| and of course loss of shadow detail. Examples:

Or ... take both shots on a solid steady tripod and process them together.
If the shot doesn't move (we're obviously not talking action sports here)
then post processing could effectively expand the dynamic range.

New Canon cameras are now 14-bit, so you do also have some more room in the
lesser significant bit range to work with. I don't know, just yet, how much
noise comes up from these new sensors. But it was this 14-bit level that
triggered me to finally make the move to digital.