Velocity Reviews

-   -   Vista vs XP wireless problem (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t636012-vista-vs-xp-wireless-problem.html)

Řyvind Granberg 09-18-2008 05:54 PM

Vista vs XP wireless problem

Hi..

I've got two laptops running an all updated Windows XP Home and a self built
no name desktop running Vista Ultimate and these two laptops do not see the
desktop on a wireless network based on a D-link DIR 635 wireless router.

I have run through all that is mentioned here:
http://www.svabhinava.org/Dia-Gnosis...taXP-frame.php

When trying to install LLTP I've got a message saying that there already is
a newer version installed. That's probably because this installation is made
for XP XP2, not SP3 which is previously installed.

Right now while I write this I have five computers running and the XP
laptops are not showing on my Vista Ultimate desktop. They are, however,
showing on two laptops running Vista Home Premium.

All Vista computers are running the same user with the same password.
The XP laptops are running two different users.
File and Printer sharing are activated on all computers.

Somebody whispered in my ear that this could easily be fixed with a small
download for MS.
If he meant the LLTP installation he didn't know, but in that case it didn't
work.
Is there anybody here that knows of such a file?

This has been of no problem just a few weeks ago. The problem suddenly
appeared without any warning just a few weeks ago.
What I wonder now is what can be wrong?

Is the problem situated in my Vista Ultimate desktop, or in the two laptops
running XP?
What can I do to get those two XP laptops to connect with my Vista Ultimate
desktop?

--

Zadig Galbaras
(nick)

Robert L. \(MS-MVP\) 09-18-2008 09:44 PM

Re: Vista vs XP wireless problem

Do you have any security software on the Vista desktop? Can you ping XP
laptop by IP?

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net