Velocity Reviews

-   -   unicode in multi-line strings (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t635987-unicode-in-multi-line-strings.html)

Jiri Barton 09-18-2008 03:04 PM

unicode in multi-line strings

Hello,

I have a problem with international characters in multi-line strings.

Works: ''''''

Works: '''
a'''

Does not work: '''
'''

By does not work I mean the infamous

'ascii' codec can't encode character u'\xe1' in position 4: ordinal not
in range(128)

I'm using Ubuntu 8.04 with Python 2.5. It does not work in terminal,
from scripts, or from scripts with the encoding specified at the top.
Making the string unicode (u''' ... ''') does not change anything.

It could be an interpreter issue but I didn't know where else I should
turn for help.

Thank you!
Jiri

Diez B. Roggisch 09-18-2008 03:31 PM

Re: unicode in multi-line strings

Jiri Barton wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have a problem with international characters in multi-line strings.
>

> Works: '''á'''
>
> Works: '''
> a'''
>
> Does not work: '''
> á'''
>

> By does not work I mean the infamous
>
> 'ascii' codec can't encode character u'\xe1' in position 4: ordinal not
> in range(128)
>
> I'm using Ubuntu 8.04 with Python 2.5. It does not work in terminal,
> from scripts, or from scripts with the encoding specified at the top.
> Making the string unicode (u''' ... ''') does not change anything.
>
> It could be an interpreter issue but I didn't know where else I should
> turn for help.

Please show a self-contained example that does not work. The above won't
puke on you as you claim - because they are simple byte-strings, and thus
aren't subject to any automatic en/decoding whatsoever, unless somehow
*used*. Which you don't show how you do it.

Diez