Velocity Reviews

-   -   Re: Recording Visitor Stats (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t635671-re-recording-visitor-stats.html)

Alexey Smirnov 09-16-2008 10:23 PM

Re: Recording Visitor Stats

On Sep 17, 12:06*am, Spence <spencelayhathotmaildotcom> wrote:
> My web site is built using ASP.NET, the host supporting .NET 3.5, SQL
> Server Express and Access.
>
> I want to start collecting some visitor stats, in particular OS and
> Browser used, pages visited, length of time on each page, screen size,
> browser window size and IP address.
>
> I'm hoping that this session information is available via the .NET
> framework. Can someone point me in the right direction please.
>
> Thanks.
>
> --
> Spence
> Computing Services - because IT needn't be difficulthttp://www.compservonline.co.uk/

Take a look at the following link http://codeave.com/asp/svr_variables.asp

This is what your server application could get from the client

1. OS and Browser used - HTTP_USER_AGENT
2. page visited - SCRIPT_NAME
3. IP address - REMOTE_HOST

all this values are available in the Request.ServerVariables object

you can't get length of time on each page, screen size, and browser
window size on the server, you need to use a client javascript
instead.

Also, there are many free third party tools for this, for example,
http://www.google.com/analytics/ All what you need is to include a
javascript code to your pages and it will allow your Google Analytics
account to track your visitors.

Alexey Smirnov 09-17-2008 11:04 AM

Re: Recording Visitor Stats

On Sep 17, 10:47*am, Spence <spencelayhathotmaildotcom> wrote:
> In article <3b8ad81d-bb7d-4abc-8e84-
>
> d117739ba...@2g2000hsn.googlegroups.com>, Alexey Smirnov wrote:
>
> Thanks Alexey.
>
> > Take a look at the following linkhttp://codeave.com/asp/svrvariables.asp

> Need an underscore between svr and variables but got there after a couple of
> tries.
>
> > This is what your server application could get from the client

> > 1. OS and Browser used - HTTP USER AGENT
> > 2. page visited - SCRIPT NAME
> > 3. IP address - REMOTE HOST

> > all this values are available in the Request.ServerVariables object

> Just what I needed. Thanks.
>
> > you can't get length of time on each page, screen size, and browser
> > window size on the server, you need to use a client javascript
> > instead.

> OK, will look at that.
>
> > Also, there are many free third party tools for this, for example,
> >http://www.google.com/analytics/All what you need is to include a
> > javascript code to your pages and it will allow your Google Analytics
> > account to track your visitors.

> I have Google Analytics on the page but find it too cumbersome to find what
> I want. Ideally I just want a table of data with the date, time and the
> other parameters I mentioned which I can put into a database and do my own
> analysis.
>
> --
> Spence
> Computing Services - because IT needn't be difficulthttp://www.compservonline.co.uk/

If it's your own server and you have an access to IIS log you can
obtain all 3 items from the IIS log.

Note, as Mark already mentioned 1) and 3) cannot be 100% relied
because of proxies and user agent spoofing. Some browsers such as
Firefox and Opera have functions to send a false User-Agent string.
And REMOTE_ADDR is the address of the remote host making the request,
and if you make a request from behind a proxy you will get an address
of the proxy.

Alexey Smirnov 09-18-2008 10:59 AM

Re: Recording Visitor Stats

On Sep 18, 11:45*am, Spence <spencelayhathotmaildotcom> wrote:
> Reasons to get this info is to exclude my own IP and to check for
> repeat visitors. I know if 100 people from one company visit my site
> I'll probably see that as one IP, but that has to be better than seeing
> visitors with addresses of 192.168.x.y etc.

Actually, all this can be done with Google Analytics too. Go to
Analytics Settings, click Edit in the Website Profiles and add a
filter for your IP address. This filter will forever exclude all
visits from you. Returned visitors could be found in the Visitors
section. For example, in Hostnames you can find particular host and
number of visits. That report could be also used to exclude your own
host.