Velocity Reviews

-   -   "Connect to localhost" Dialog Running Remote Website (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t635637-connect-to-localhost-dialog-running-remote-website.html)

Jonathan Wood 09-16-2008 05:31 PM

"Connect to localhost" Dialog Running Remote Website

Greetings,

I wonder if anyone can help me with this.

I have an XP laptop, and a Vista desktop computer. I use the laptop to run
software remotely on the desktop using the Remote Desktop Connection
software.

Everything is working just fine. However, whenever I run an ASP.NET Website
project in Visual Studio, the browser pops up a "Connect to localhost"
dialog box and I have to re-enter my Vista password. Although this dialog
includes a "Remember my password" checkbox, no matter what I do I must
re-enter my password every time I run a Website project.

I would love to find a way to prevent this dialog box from showing.

Does anyone have any clever ideas?

Thanks.

--
Jonathan Wood
SoftCircuits Programming

Jeff Dillon 09-16-2008 05:53 PM

Re: "Connect to localhost" Dialog Running Remote Website

http://www.mesh.com

Jonathan Wood 09-16-2008 06:07 PM

Re: "Connect to localhost" Dialog Running Remote Website

Thanks for the very terse response. However, what appears to be some sort of
file-synchronization software is hardly going to assist me in running
applications that reside on another computer.

--
Jonathan Wood
SoftCircuits Programming

Jeff Dillon 09-16-2008 06:16 PM

Re: "Connect to localhost" Dialog Running Remote Website

Thanks for the very terse response. However, what appears to be some sort of
> file-synchronization software is hardly going to assist me in running
> applications that reside on another computer.
>
> --
> Jonathan Wood
> SoftCircuits Programming
> http://www.softcircuits.com
>
> "Jeff Dillon" <jeffdillon@hotmailremove.com> wrote in message
>>> I have an XP laptop, and a Vista desktop computer. I use the laptop to
>>> run
>>> software remotely on the desktop using the Remote Desktop Connection
>>> software.
>>>
>>> Everything is working just fine. However, whenever I run an ASP.NET
>>> Website
>>> project in Visual Studio, the browser pops up a "Connect to localhost"
>>> dialog box and I have to re-enter my Vista password. Although this
>>> dialog
>>> includes a "Remember my password" checkbox, no matter what I do I must
>>> re-enter my password every time I run a Website project.
>>>
>>> I would love to find a way to prevent this dialog box from showing.
>>>
>>> Does anyone have any clever ideas?

>> http://www.mesh.com

Actually it works better than remote desktop for me. It's far more than
file-sync. It's remote control, and works even through proxy servers. I use
it here at MS daily. I can connect to my home machine while at work, and
vice versa.

Oh, and b. m.

Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\) 09-16-2008 09:04 PM

Re: "Connect to localhost" Dialog Running Remote Website

I realize what you are thinking, but Mesh is an option. It is more than just
file sharing. You can also run a computer remotely. Unlike RDC, you are
actually logging into the machine. The downside is if someone is setting
next to the machine, and the monitor is on, they can see everything you are
doing. It also works through a web client, so it is not necessarily the best
option.

I have never seen the RDC issue. Are you logging into console on the
machine?

--
Gregory A. Beamer
MVP, MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA

Subscribe to my blog

or just read it:

| Think outside the box! |

Jonathan Wood 09-16-2008 09:12 PM

Re: "Connect to localhost" Dialog Running Remote Website

>I realize what you are thinking, but Mesh is an option. It is more than
>just file sharing. You can also run a computer remotely. Unlike RDC, you
>are actually logging into the machine. The downside is if someone is
>setting next to the machine, and the monitor is on, they can see everything
>you are doing. It also works through a web client, so it is not necessarily
>the best option.

Yeah, it's interesting to know about. Unfortunately, I'm not sure I want to
install SilverLight, which I apparently need to do to learn more about Mesh.
And my guess is that it is some sort of deal where you pay a montly fee.
That just doesn't seem rlike the best option for interfacing with a computer
in the other room.

> I have never seen the RDC issue. Are you logging into console on the
> machine?

I log onto the machine and am using Visual Studio, which is installed on
that other machine. Then when I run an ASP.NET project on it, I get the
dialog box and must enter the same password I use to log on in the first
place.

Jonathan

Jeff Dillon 09-16-2008 09:53 PM

Re: "Connect to localhost" Dialog Running Remote Website

It's free, and doesn't require Silverlight. And it doesn't have to run in a
web browser, there is a free client you can download.

Jonathan Wood 09-17-2008 12:30 AM

Re: "Connect to localhost" Dialog Running Remote Website

Jeff,

> It's free, and doesn't require Silverlight. And it doesn't have to run in
> a web browser, there is a free client you can download.

My comment about Silverlight is that it's required to get more information
about Mesh. I'd like to get more information about Mesh because I don't
quite get exactly what it is, and can't even imagine how it could be free.
And, of course, if it can do what RDC does, it might still popup the same
dialog box.

So I'm not inclined to just install it yet, but I will try to find out more
about it and see if it would work for me.

Thanks for the info.

Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\) 09-17-2008 03:34 AM

Re: "Connect to localhost" Dialog Running Remote Website

Absolutely free and destined to stay so for the time being. I think we may
see some add ons (that have a cost) at PDC, but I have no confirmation. I
can see it working with terminal services, Live Meeting, etc., but I can
only suggest and wait. :-)

Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\) 09-17-2008 03:36 AM

Re: "Connect to localhost" Dialog Running Remote Website

Fortunately, it installs and uninstalls without issue (had it on one box I
did not want to use it on). The way it works is through port 80 and it is a
pull, not a push (ie, the local machine makes the connection). I use it now
to sync files between my desktop and laptop. Forgot to get some files when I
went to Louisville and I simply logged into my home computer and dragged
them into the Mesh.

I am thinking about a video (will You Tube it and attach to my blog). I will
post when I add it so you can see. Not sure if I will have time tomorrow,
but most likely some time this week.