Velocity Reviews

-   -   Cisco Newbie Help with L2 and L3 Devices (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t635564-cisco-newbie-help-with-l2-and-l3-devices.html)

Ry 09-16-2008 08:38 AM

Cisco Newbie Help with L2 and L3 Devices

OK i'm quite new to this Cisco World, I was having a phone interview
the other day and was asked what should I make sure of when adding a
NEW Layer 2 Switch or Layer 3 Switch?

Anyone help me out here?

Thanks,
Ry

Intuitive 09-16-2008 09:10 AM

Re: Cisco Newbie Help with L2 and L3 Devices

Ry wrote:
> OK i'm quite new to this Cisco World, I was having a phone interview
> the other day and was asked what should I make sure of when adding a
> NEW Layer 2 Switch or Layer 3 Switch?
>
> Anyone help me out here?
>
> Thanks,
> Ry

In a phone interview, you should be going off your own knowledge.

However, as a clue, you might want to do some research on subjects such as:

- Virtual LANs (VLAN)
- VTP (VLAN Trunking Protocol): VLAN database revision numbers
especially, when you are adding a new swich to the network!
- Routing protocols

Then again, if you don't actually understand what you are talking about
over the phone, then it will REALLY stick out! :-)

Ry 09-16-2008 09:18 AM

On Sep 16, 10:10*am, Intuitive <n...@null.null> wrote:
> Ry wrote:
> > OK i'm quite new to this Cisco World, I was having a phone interview
> > the other day and was asked what should I make sure of when adding a
> > NEW Layer 2 Switch or Layer 3 Switch?

> > Anyone help me out here?

> > Thanks,
> > Ry

> In a phone interview, you should be going off your own knowledge.
>
> However, as a clue, you might want to do some research on subjects such as:
>
> - Virtual LANs (VLAN)
> - VTP (VLAN Trunking Protocol): VLAN database revision numbers
> especially, when you are adding a new swich to the network!
> - Routing protocols
>
> Then again, if you don't actually understand what you are talking about
> over the phone, then it will REALLY stick out! :-)

Cheers, I've not had the chance to add a new network device yet, just
some support!!

Thanks for the info!!!

Trendkill 09-16-2008 11:33 AM

On Sep 16, 5:18*am, Ry <murphy...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> On Sep 16, 10:10*am, Intuitive <n...@null.null> wrote:
>

> > Ry wrote:
> > > OK i'm quite new to this Cisco World, I was having a phone interview
> > > the other day and was asked what should I make sure of when adding a
> > > NEW Layer 2 Switch or Layer 3 Switch?

> > > Anyone help me out here?

> > > Thanks,
> > > Ry

> > In a phone interview, you should be going off your own knowledge.

> > However, as a clue, you might want to do some research on subjects such as:

> > - Virtual LANs (VLAN)
> > - VTP (VLAN Trunking Protocol): VLAN database revision numbers
> > especially, when you are adding a new swich to the network!
> > - Routing protocols

> > Then again, if you don't actually understand what you are talking about
> > over the phone, then it will REALLY stick out! :-)

> Cheers, I've not had the chance to add a new network device yet, just
> some support!!
>
> Thanks for the info!!!

I will echo the VTP answer, as that is the one area that will bring
down your whole network if you don't know what you are doing. The
rest of the answers are things to do/check to make sure your install
is prepared correctly and goes in smoothly without last minute changes
and on the fly configuration.

management IPs
vtp domains/revision
trunking configurations

And on the routing side, routing protocols, addressing,
configurations, summarization, route-maps, etc.

Paul Matthews 09-17-2008 05:05 PM

Intuitive wrote:

>Ry wrote:
>> OK i'm quite new to this Cisco World, I was having a phone interview
>> the other day and was asked what should I make sure of when adding a
>> NEW Layer 2 Switch or Layer 3 Switch?
>>
>> Anyone help me out here?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Ry

>In a phone interview, you should be going off your own knowledge.
>
>However, as a clue, you might want to do some research on subjects such as:
>
>- Virtual LANs (VLAN)
>- VTP (VLAN Trunking Protocol): VLAN database revision numbers
>especially, when you are adding a new swich to the network!
>- Routing protocols

SPANNING TREE!
--
Paul Matthews CCIE #4063
Please post questions to the NG, NOT by e-mail.