Velocity Reviews

-   -   wireless network from neighbor?? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t635508-wireless-network-from-neighbor.html)

JS 09-15-2008 11:10 PM

wireless network from neighbor??

I have a new laptop and am getting a weak signal named Abagail. It says
something about being a "security-enabled" and I can't access it because it
requires a password. I don't really need it, but I am curious about it. Any
way, Can I track down its origin?
Could it be from a neighbor?
I have a Dell with Vista, an AT&T sim card if it matters.
Thanks
JS

Pavel A. 09-15-2008 11:15 PM

Re: wireless network from neighbor??

JS wrote:
> I have a new laptop and am getting a weak signal named Abagail. It says
> something about being a "security-enabled" and I can't access it because
> it requires a password. I don't really need it, but I am curious about
> it. Any way, Can I track down its origin?
> Could it be from a neighbor?
> I have a Dell with Vista, an AT&T sim card if it matters.
> Thanks
> JS

Hmmm. Do you live in a desert?

Big_Al 09-16-2008 12:04 AM

JS wrote:
> I have a new laptop and am getting a weak signal named Abagail. It says
> something about being a "security-enabled" and I can't access it because
> it requires a password. I don't really need it, but I am curious about
> it. Any way, Can I track down its origin?
> Could it be from a neighbor?
> I have a Dell with Vista, an AT&T sim card if it matters.
> Thanks
> JS

Years ago my children did search and rescue and were taught to 'body
block' with the receiver to try to do directional location of a downed
plane. Put the receiver in front of your body and spin slowly. The
signal strength will drop as your body gets between receiver and the
transmitter. Not fool proof or fancy but it worked. At least it did
with the airplane's transmitter. I'm sure you could drive up and down
the street with your laptop and see the signal change. I've connected,
as others have said, to a unsecured and wanted to put a note on their
printer but came about that close to doing it. I guess that might
really be invasion ( or is that evasion?).

JS 09-16-2008 12:29 AM

Re: wireless network from neighbor??

No, why?

Lanwench [MVP - Exchange] 09-16-2008 12:47 AM

JS <sivright@nospamultravision.net> wrote:
> I have a new laptop and am getting a weak signal named Abagail.

You mean, you're seeing an access point called Abagail, with weak signal
strength.

> It
> says something about being a "security-enabled" and I can't access it
> because it requires a password.

If it isn't yours, you shouldn't access it even if it's unprotected.

> I don't really need it, but I am
> curious about it. Any way, Can I track down its origin?

Why?

> Could it be from a neighbor?

Yes, of course. What else could it be?

Lanwench [MVP - Exchange] 09-16-2008 12:48 AM

Re: wireless network from neighbor??

Pavel A. <pavel_a@NOfastmailNO.fm> wrote:
> JS wrote:
>> I have a new laptop and am getting a weak signal named Abagail. It
>> says something about being a "security-enabled" and I can't access
>> it because it requires a password. I don't really need it, but I am
>> curious about it. Any way, Can I track down its origin?
>> Could it be from a neighbor?
>> I have a Dell with Vista, an AT&T sim card if it matters.
>> Thanks
>> JS

> Hmmm. Do you live in a desert?

Better question would be, "Do you live in a mountain cave?" In a flat
desert, the signal could travel pretty far.

JS 09-16-2008 12:52 AM

Re: wireless network from neighbor??

Thanks, Big Al,
Thanks for your response. I am not trying to invade, I am just curious about
how this stuff works.
JS

JS 09-16-2008 02:03 AM

Re: wireless network from neighbor??

No, I live in a semi-rural lake area neighborhood.
Does that help?
"Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"
<lanwench@heybuddy.donotsendme.unsolicitedmailatya hoo.com> wrote in message
> Pavel A. <pavel_a@NOfastmailNO.fm> wrote:
>> JS wrote:
>>> I have a new laptop and am getting a weak signal named Abagail. It
>>> says something about being a "security-enabled" and I can't access
>>> it because it requires a password. I don't really need it, but I am
>>> curious about it. Any way, Can I track down its origin?
>>> Could it be from a neighbor?
>>> I have a Dell with Vista, an AT&T sim card if it matters.
>>> Thanks
>>> JS

DeeJay 09-16-2008 02:06 AM

"JS" <sivright@nospamultravision.net> wrote in message
>I have a new laptop and am getting a weak signal named Abagail. It says
>something about being a "security-enabled" and I can't access it because it
>requires a password. I don't really need it, but I am curious about it. Any
>way, Can I track down its origin?

Sure. Walk around the neighborhood with your laptop. When the signal becomes
strongest, knock on the door and ask for Abigail (or Abagail?). It'll be so
much easier if you live in the desert and have 1 or 2 neighbors around. Btw,
get ready to run fast... just in case they call the cops on you.

Jack \(MVP-Networking\). 09-16-2008 02:10 AM

Re: wireless network from neighbor??

Hi
Q: Why I see Wireless connections that are not mine in my Wireless Network
display?
A: http://www.ezlan.net/faq.html#signal
Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)