Velocity Reviews

-   -   Display MS Project File on a Web Page As Graphical Gantt Chart (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t635115-display-ms-project-file-on-a-web-page-as-graphical-gantt-chart.html)

Mel 09-12-2008 05:25 PM

Display MS Project File on a Web Page As Graphical Gantt Chart

I have some Asp.net 2.0/vb.net code that creates a gantt chart with
some dependencies as a new MS Project (.mpp) file. How would I show
this resulting .mpp file on an Asp.net webpage? I want to show the
Gantt Chart as a graphical object on my webpage and display it as read
only.

Mel 09-15-2008 01:50 PM

Re: Display MS Project File on a Web Page As Graphical Gantt Chart

On Sep 12, 12:25 pm, Mel <MLights...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have some Asp.net 2.0/vb.net code that creates a gantt chart with
> some dependencies as a new MS Project (.mpp) file. How would I show
> this resulting .mpp file on an Asp.net webpage? I want to show the
> Gantt Chart as a graphical object on my webpage and display it as read
> only.

Anyone know how to do this?

Mel 09-15-2008 03:05 PM

On Sep 15, 9:37 am, "Mark Rae [MVP]" <m...@markNOSPAMrae.net> wrote:
> "Mel" <MLights...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> > On Sep 12, 12:25 pm, Mel <MLights...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> I have some Asp.net 2.0/vb.net code that creates a gantt chart with
> >> some dependencies as a new MS Project (.mpp) file. How would I show
> >> this resulting .mpp file on an Asp.net webpage? I want to show the
> >> Gantt Chart as a graphical object on my webpage and display it as read
> >> only.

> > Anyone know how to do this?

> 1) Use this:http://www.aspose.com/categories/fil.../aspose.tasks-...
> to interface with the Project file on the server, and save a copy of the
> data in XML format.
>
> 2) Use the saved XML to create an image - most charting / graphing software
> can use XML as a datasource, either directly or via some transformation. I
> use this:http://www.advsofteng.com/cdnet.html
>
> --
> Mark Rae
> ASP.NET MVPhttp://www.markrae.net

I can't use the Chart Director Gantt Chart because it does not contain
dependencies. I need to display the dependency information in my
Gantt Chart.

I can save as an XML file out of Microsoft Project 2007. How would I
use this XML file to create an image?

Mel 09-15-2008 03:14 PM

On Sep 15, 10:05 am, Mel <MLights...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sep 15, 9:37 am, "Mark Rae [MVP]" <m...@markNOSPAMrae.net> wrote:
>

> > "Mel" <MLights...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> > > Anyone know how to do this?

> > 1) Use this:http://www.aspose.com/categories/fil.../aspose.tasks-...
> > to interface with the Project file on the server, and save a copy of the
> > data in XML format.

> > 2) Use the saved XML to create an image - most charting / graphing software
> > can use XML as a datasource, either directly or via some transformation. I
> > use this:http://www.advsofteng.com/cdnet.html

> > --
> > Mark Rae
> > ASP.NET MVPhttp://www.markrae.net

> I can't use the Chart Director Gantt Chart because it does not contain
> dependencies. I need to display the dependency information in my
> Gantt Chart.
>
> I can save as an XML file out of Microsoft Project 2007. How would I
> use this XML file to create an image?

Oh, and the www.aspose.com website is a non-graphical solution. I
need to show the Gantt Chart as a graphic on my web page.

Mel 09-15-2008 04:05 PM

On Sep 15, 10:41 am, "Mark Rae [MVP]" <m...@markNOSPAMrae.net> wrote:
> "Mel" <MLights...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> >> I can't use the Chart Director Gantt Chart because it does not contain
> >> dependencies. I need to display the dependency information in my
> >> Gantt Chart.

> >> I can save as an XML file out of Microsoft Project 2007. How would I
> >> use this XML file to create an image?

> > Oh, and thewww.aspose.comwebsite is a non-graphical solution. I
> > need to show the Gantt Chart as a graphic on my web page.

> The Aspose component is used to interface with the Project file on the
> server and save a copy of the data in XML format - now you've got something
> that you can work with without having to resort to server-side Office
> automation, which isn't supported. Now that you have the data in XML format,
> you need to display it graphically.
>
> > I can't use the Chart Director Gantt Chart because it does not contain
> > dependencies. I need to display the dependency information in my
> > Gantt Chart.

> So find one that does! There are dozens, maybe hundreds, of 3rd-party
> charting / graphics add-ins for the .NET Frameworkhttp://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&rlz=1T4GZEZ_en-GBGB252GB252&q=%2...
>
> --
> Mark Rae
> ASP.NET MVPhttp://www.markrae.net

Yes, I've been searching for over a week now. I'll keep at it.

Mel 09-15-2008 04:12 PM

On Sep 15, 10:48 am, "Mark Rae [MVP]" <m...@markNOSPAMrae.net> wrote:
> "Mel" <MLights...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> > Anyone know how to do this?

> Alternatively, this may meet your requirements:http://www.projectviewercentral.com/...iewer/web.html
>
> --
> Mark Rae
> ASP.NET MVPhttp://www.markrae.net

>>> http://www.projectviewercentral.com/...iewer/web.html

This looks promising. Thanks!

Alexey Smirnov 09-15-2008 05:01 PM

On Sep 15, 6:12*pm, Mel <MLights...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sep 15, 10:48 am, "Mark Rae [MVP]" <m...@markNOSPAMrae.net> wrote:
>
> > "Mel" <MLights...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> > > Anyone know how to do this?

> > Alternatively, this may meet your requirements:http://www.projectviewercentral.com/...iewer/web.html

> > --
> > Mark Rae
> > ASP.NET MVPhttp://www.markrae.net

> This looks promising. *Thanks!

For XML approach the following free js based chart could be
interesting
http://www.shlomygantz.com/blog/inde...hart-component