Velocity Reviews

-   -   Re: Public Address (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t634987-re-public-address.html)

Gordon Henderson 09-11-2008 08:20 PM

Re: Public Address

In article <mn.5cf07d895be246dc.88534@blueyonder.invalid>,
Jono <nothanks@blueyonder.invalid> wrote:
>Hello,
>
>Has anyone any suggestions for connecting a Tannoy or PA amplifier to
>an IP-PBX?
>
>Regular PBXes have a specific connection for the amp; anything suitable
>for an IP-PBX?

Cheap (Grandstream ;-) Phone set to auto-answer with a cable running
from their speaker jack.

Or ... Maybe use the line-out jack on the back of an PC based unit, then
dial an extension that calls the console phone... (asterisk). Not sure
it can auto-answer though - I'd need to check.

Gordon

Gordon Henderson 09-11-2008 08:34 PM

Re: Public Address

In article <gabuhn$1nbj$1@energise.enta.net>,
Gordon Henderson <gordon+usenet@drogon.net> wrote:
>In article <mn.5cf07d895be246dc.88534@blueyonder.invalid>,
>Jono <nothanks@blueyonder.invalid> wrote:
>>Hello,
>>
>>Has anyone any suggestions for connecting a Tannoy or PA amplifier to
>>an IP-PBX?
>>
>>Regular PBXes have a specific connection for the amp; anything suitable
>>for an IP-PBX?

>Cheap (Grandstream ;-) Phone set to auto-answer with a cable running
>from their speaker jack.
>
>Or ... Maybe use the line-out jack on the back of an PC based unit, then
>dial an extension that calls the console phone... (asterisk). Not sure
>it can auto-answer though - I'd need to check.

Checked. Yep, it's possible in asterisk to get the audio-out jacks to
work and auto-answer a call.

But for another type of IP-PBX, (non asterisk), then an auto-answer
phone with a lead plugged into the speaker socket might do the trick...

Gordon
(Who'll now add that to the product spec ;-)

Gordon Henderson 09-11-2008 08:49 PM

Re: Public Address

In article <mn.5d157d89e976419c.88534@blueyonder.invalid>,
Jono <nothanks@blueyonder.invalid> wrote:
>Gordon Henderson was thinking very hard :
>> In article <mn.5cf07d895be246dc.88534@blueyonder.invalid>,
>> Jono <nothanks@blueyonder.invalid> wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> Has anyone any suggestions for connecting a Tannoy or PA amplifier to
>>> an IP-PBX?
>>>
>>> Regular PBXes have a specific connection for the amp; anything suitable
>>> for an IP-PBX?

>> Cheap (Grandstream ;-) Phone set to auto-answer with a cable running
>> from their speaker jack.

>I didn't know they had a speaker jack. If that's the case that could be
>a very good idea.

A BT200 would do. It will recognise when something is plugged into the
socket - you need a 4-way 2.5mm jack though - not sure how it's wired
up... The phone will auto-answer with the right runes in it's web-setup
and the right sip-header sent to it - that might be an issue for the
Cisco PBX though.... (but maybe not!)

>Thank you.

Cheers,

Gordon

Gordon Henderson 09-11-2008 08:51 PM

Re: Public Address

In article <mn.5d187d89344994ed.88534@blueyonder.invalid>,
Jono <nothanks@blueyonder.invalid> wrote:

>Ah, I misunderstood. I thought you meant a PC running a softfone - you
>meant Asterisk box itself. Very good.
>
>> But for another type of IP-PBX, (non asterisk), then an auto-answer
>> phone with a lead plugged into the speaker socket might do the trick...
>>
>> Gordon
>> (Who'll now add that to the product spec ;-)

>Hehe. I'll try to think of some others.....what about using the audio
>in for music on hold?

Yup.

The only issue I have right now is setting the volume levels - although
there are some basic command-line interfaces to the Linux ALSA stuff -
just need to write a web wrapper.

>The reason I didn't pester you by email for this is that it's for a
>Cisco IP PBX (a friend's son's problem, thank fully)

Wash your mouth out ;-)

Gordon

alexd 09-11-2008 10:46 PM

Re: Public Address

On Thu, 11 Sep 2008 21:44:38 +0100, Jono wrote:

> The reason I didn't pester you by email for this is that it's for a
> Cisco IP PBX (a friend's son's problem, thank fully)

Judging by the hits I get on cisco.com for "overhead paging", I think the
answer is going to be either some kind of hack, involving the cheapest IP
phone you can find that will do auto-answer and a soldering iron, or a
paging adaptor like a Valcom unit, or buy[!] a paging application for CCM.
You can even get SIP, PoE ceiling speakers, that are presumably capable of
auto-answer.

--
<http://ale.cx/> (AIM:troffasky) (UnSoEsNpEaTm@ale.cx)