Velocity Reviews

-   -   wxpython ms-dos black window popping up in background (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t634609-wxpython-ms-dos-black-window-popping-up-in-background.html)

icarus 09-09-2008 08:33 PM

wxpython ms-dos black window popping up in background

platform: windows xp professional, python 2.5, wxpython

When I double-check on my program file test.py (for simplicity I'll be
using this code below), I see the window just fine. But the ms-dos
black window pops up in the background. On Linux, no issues at all.

How can I get rid of that ms-dos black window in the background?
something I need to add to my code? a setting to adjust in windows?
thanks in advance.

#!/usr/bin/python
import wx

appwx = wx.App()

frame = wx.Frame(None, -1, 'test.py')
frame.Show()

appwx.MainLoop()

Chris Rebert 09-09-2008 08:49 PM

Re: wxpython ms-dos black window popping up in background

You need to have the script be run by pythonw.exe as opposed to python.exe
pythonw.exe suppresses the DOS box from coming up and should be used
for running GUI applications such as yours.

Regards,
Chris

On Tue, Sep 9, 2008 at 1:33 PM, icarus <rsarpi@gmail.com> wrote:
> platform: windows xp professional, python 2.5, wxpython
>
> When I double-check on my program file test.py (for simplicity I'll be
> using this code below), I see the window just fine. But the ms-dos
> black window pops up in the background. On Linux, no issues at all.
>
> How can I get rid of that ms-dos black window in the background?
> something I need to add to my code? a setting to adjust in windows?
> thanks in advance.
>

> #!/usr/bin/python
> import wx
>
> appwx = wx.App()
>
> frame = wx.Frame(None, -1, 'test.py')
> frame.Show()
>
> appwx.MainLoop()

Follow the path of the Iguana...
http://rebertia.com

icarus 09-09-2008 09:35 PM

Re: wxpython ms-dos black window popping up in background

Oh ok. Thanks. In windows xp I just renamed the file extension to .pyw
That did it.

one more question...

how do I create a pythonw standalone executable that works on w32,
linux, mac, etc..?

My intent is to have the process transparent to the user. He wouldn't
even know the app was written in python. All he knows that when he
double-clicks on it, the application pops up without the DOS black
screen in the background (for w32 users.)

kaer 09-09-2008 10:45 PM

On 9 sep, 23:35, icarus <rsa...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Oh ok. Thanks. In windows xp I just renamed the file extension to .pyw
> That did it.
>
> one more question...
>
> how do I create a pythonw standalone executable that works on w32,
> linux, mac, etc..?
>
> My intent is to have the process transparent to the user. He wouldn't
> even know the app was written in python. All he knows that when he
> double-clicks on it, the application pops up without the DOS black
> screen in the background (for w32 users.)
>
> On Sep 9, 10:49 am, "Chris Rebert" <c...@rebertia.com> wrote:
>
> > You need to have the script be run by pythonw.exe as opposed to python.exe
> > pythonw.exe suppresses the DOS box from coming up and should be used
> > for running GUI applications such as yours.

> > Regards,
> > Chris

> > On Tue, Sep 9, 2008 at 1:33 PM, icarus <rsa...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > platform: windows xp professional, python 2.5, wxpython

> > > When I double-check on my program file test.py (for simplicity I'll be
> > > using this code below), I see the window just fine. But the ms-dos
> > > black window pops up in the background. On Linux, no issues at all.

> > > How can I get rid of that ms-dos black window in the background?
> > > something I need to add to my code? a setting to adjust in windows?
> > > thanks in advance.

> > > #!/usr/bin/python
> > > import wx

> > > appwx = wx.App()

> > > frame = wx.Frame(None, -1, 'test.py')
> > > frame.Show()

> > > appwx.MainLoop()
> > > --

> > --
> > Follow the path of the Iguana...http://rebertia.com

py2exe could be what you are looking for.

Larry Bates 09-09-2008 10:46 PM

icarus wrote:
> Oh ok. Thanks. In windows xp I just renamed the file extension to .pyw
> That did it.
>
> one more question...
>
> how do I create a pythonw standalone executable that works on w32,
> linux, mac, etc..?
>
> My intent is to have the process transparent to the user. He wouldn't
> even know the app was written in python. All he knows that when he
> double-clicks on it, the application pops up without the DOS black
> screen in the background (for w32 users.)
>

> On Sep 9, 10:49 am, "Chris Rebert" <c...@rebertia.com> wrote:
>> You need to have the script be run by pythonw.exe as opposed to python.exe
>> pythonw.exe suppresses the DOS box from coming up and should be used
>> for running GUI applications such as yours.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Chris
>>

>> On Tue, Sep 9, 2008 at 1:33 PM, icarus <rsa...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> platform: windows xp professional, python 2.5, wxpython
>>> When I double-check on my program file test.py (for simplicity I'll be
>>> using this code below), I see the window just fine. But the ms-dos
>>> black window pops up in the background. On Linux, no issues at all.
>>> How can I get rid of that ms-dos black window in the background?
>>> something I need to add to my code? a setting to adjust in windows?
>>> thanks in advance.
>>> #!/usr/bin/python
>>> import wx
>>> appwx = wx.App()
>>> frame = wx.Frame(None, -1, 'test.py')
>>> frame.Show()
>>> appwx.MainLoop()
>>> --

>> --
>> Follow the path of the Iguana...http://rebertia.com

On Windows use py2exe and Inno Setup to create "frozen" application that is easy
to distribute. On Mac/Linux there are other solutions.

-Larry

Ulrich Eckhardt 09-10-2008 07:32 AM

Re: wxpython ms-dos black window popping up in background

icarus top-posted:
> one more question...

....deserves a separate thread.

> how do I create a pythonw standalone executable that works on w32,
> linux, mac, etc..?

Either it is Python, then it is portable but no executable, or it is an
executable, then it is standalone but not portable. I'm afraid what you are
asking for is not possible. Other than that, others told you how to easily
get a standalone executable.

Uli

[ 35 lines of uselessly quoted content removed ]

--
Sator Laser GmbH

Mike Driscoll 09-10-2008 05:22 PM

On Sep 10, 6:48*am, James A. Donald <jam...@echeque.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 9 Sep 2008 14:35:13 -0700 (PDT), icarus <rsa...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > Oh ok. Thanks. In windows xp I just renamed the file extension to .pyw
> > That did it.

> > one more question...

> > how do I create a pythonw standalone executable that works on w32,
> > linux, mac, etc..?

> I have noticed that when applications are written in Python with the
> GUI created by PyGTK, it seems that to install the application on each
> slightly different version of unix is a fairly major task - although
> the creators of PyGTK proudly say that the code will run anywhere, it
> definitely will not install anywhere - the code will only run on a
> slightly different system after a massive and major rewrite of the
> install for that target system.
>
> Horrible installs are a chronic problem GUI programs driven by
> interpreted languages *Installing visual basic programs that worked on
> one Windows machine to work on a very slightly different windows
> machine was also a nightmare.
>
> I have not attempted to create installable wxPython windows, but
> generally, "run anywhere" will bite you. *Still looking for a good
> solution to "run anywhere".
>
> --
> * ----------------------
> We have the right to defend ourselves and our property, because
> of the kind of animals that we are. True law derives from this
> right, not from the arbitrary power of the omnipotent state.
>
> http://www.jim.com/* * *James A. Donald

I haven't had much trouble getting wxPython applications to run in
Windows XP and Ubuntu Hardy Heron. Of course, my GUIs aren't extremely
complex, but I did make use of Hammond's PyWin32 package and had to
wrap those in Platform aware conditional statements. Plus wx was
pretty easy to install in Ubuntu, so that was cool.

I can't really comment on other toolkits though.

Mike

Stef Mientki 09-10-2008 06:34 PM

Mike Driscoll wrote:
> On Sep 10, 6:48 am, James A. Donald <jam...@echeque.com> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 9 Sep 2008 14:35:13 -0700 (PDT), icarus <rsa...@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>

>>> Oh ok. Thanks. In windows xp I just renamed the file extension to .pyw
>>> That did it.
>>>
>>> one more question...
>>>
>>> how do I create a pythonw standalone executable that works on w32,
>>> linux, mac, etc..?
>>>

>> I have noticed that when applications are written in Python with the
>> GUI created by PyGTK, it seems that to install the application on each
>> slightly different version of unix is a fairly major task - although
>> the creators of PyGTK proudly say that the code will run anywhere, it
>> definitely will not install anywhere - the code will only run on a
>> slightly different system after a massive and major rewrite of the
>> install for that target system.
>>
>> Horrible installs are a chronic problem GUI programs driven by
>> interpreted languages Installing visual basic programs that worked on
>> one Windows machine to work on a very slightly different windows
>> machine was also a nightmare.
>>
>> I have not attempted to create installable wxPython windows, but
>> generally, "run anywhere" will bite you. Still looking for a good
>> solution to "run anywhere".
>>
>> --
>> ----------------------
>> We have the right to defend ourselves and our property, because
>> of the kind of animals that we are. True law derives from this
>> right, not from the arbitrary power of the omnipotent state.
>>
>> http://www.jim.com/ James A. Donald
>>

> I haven't had much trouble getting wxPython applications to run in
> Windows XP and Ubuntu Hardy Heron. Of course, my GUIs aren't extremely
> complex, but I did make use of Hammond's PyWin32 package and had to
> wrap those in Platform aware conditional statements. Plus wx was
> pretty easy to install in Ubuntu, so that was cool.

same with me,
wxPython, packed with py2exe + ino setup,
runs out of the box on XP, Vista, Ubuntu without any problem.

cheers,
Stef

Mike Driscoll 09-10-2008 09:34 PM

On Sep 10, 3:53*pm, James A. Donald <jam...@echeque.com> wrote:
> James A. Donald
>
> > > Horrible installs are a chronic problem of GUI programs driven by
> > > interpreted languages *Installing visual basic programs that worked on
> > > one Windows machine to work on a very slightly different windows
> > > machine was also a nightmare.

> > > I have not attempted to create installable wxPython windows, but
> > > generally, "run anywhere" will bite you. *Still looking for a good
> > > solution to "run anywhere".

> Mike Driscoll
>
> > I haven't had much trouble getting wxPython applications to run in
> > Windows XP and Ubuntu Hardy Heron.

> Did you attempt to create proper install packages that show up in the
> Linux package managers, and the windows add/remove programs tool?

I used Inno Setup which creates an uninstaller, however I am not
seeing it in my Windows Add/Remove. Odd. However, you can uninstall it
from the Start menu entry and it works.

Currently, I am running the application from source in Linux. But I
plan to try cx_freeze or similar sooner or later. I haven't had need
to distribute it since my apps are for internal use so far.

Mike

Mike Driscoll 09-11-2008 02:52 AM

On Sep 10, 4:34*pm, Mike Driscoll <kyoso...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sep 10, 3:53*pm, James A. Donald <jam...@echeque.com> wrote:
>

> > James A. Donald

> > Mike Driscoll

> > > I haven't had much trouble getting wxPython applications to run in
> > > Windows XP and Ubuntu Hardy Heron.

> > Did you attempt to create proper install packages that show up in the
> > Linux package managers, and the windows add/remove programs tool?

> I used Inno Setup which creates an uninstaller, however I am not
> seeing it in my Windows Add/Remove. Odd. However, you can uninstall it
> from the Start menu entry and it works.
>
> Currently, I am running the application from source in Linux. But I
> plan to try cx_freeze or similar sooner or later. I haven't had need
> to distribute it since my apps are for internal use so far.
>
> Mike

I just tested my Inno installer again and it did put an entry in the
Add/Remove program under Windows Vista. The machine I was looking at
was my main development machine and probably wasn't a good example.

Sorry about that.

Mike