Velocity Reviews

-   -   Re: Good C Practice (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t633464-re-good-c-practice.html)

Ian Collins 09-03-2008 01:59 AM

Re: Good C Practice

Christiano Farina Haesbaert wrote:
> This is my first post to this group so please take it easy.
>
> I'm no C expert but I've been coding in it for a while, I always ask
> myself what's the best place to see/read good C, by good C I mean
> projects that use C effectively in a "modern" and concise way.
>
> How can I judge what's a good practice ?
> Where can we find it ?

If you are looking for something recent, manageable and well structured,
have a look at the Solaris ZFS source:

http://opensolaris.org/os/community/zfs/source/

--
Ian Collins.

Ian Collins 09-03-2008 05:00 AM

Re: Good C Practice

Pilcrow wrote:
> On Wed, 03 Sep 2008 13:59:30 +1200, Ian Collins <ian-news@hotmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Christiano Farina Haesbaert wrote:
>>> This is my first post to this group so please take it easy.
>>>
>>> I'm no C expert but I've been coding in it for a while, I always ask
>>> myself what's the best place to see/read good C, by good C I mean
>>> projects that use C effectively in a "modern" and concise way.
>>>
>>> How can I judge what's a good practice ?
>>> Where can we find it ?
>>>

>> If you are looking for something recent, manageable and well structured,
>> have a look at the Solaris ZFS source:
>>
>> http://opensolaris.org/os/community/zfs/source/

> Very interesting link. Pardon what may be a stupid question, but how
> similar/different is this from linux?

Years ahead!

--
Ian Collins.

Erik de Castro Lopo 09-03-2008 05:36 AM

Re: Good C Practice

Pilcrow wrote:

>>http://opensolaris.org/os/community/zfs/source/

> Very interesting link. Pardon what may be a stupid question, but how
> similar/different is this from linux?

ZFS is a file system, Linux is an operating system kernel.

Erik
Erik de Castro Lopo
"... the industrial-capitalist mode of software production
was doomed to be outcompeted from the moment capitalism
began to create enough of a wealth surplus for many
programmers to live in a post-scarcity gift culture."
-- Eric S. Raymond

Erik de Castro Lopo 09-03-2008 05:42 AM

Re: Good C Practice

Ian Collins wrote:

>> Very interesting link. Pardon what may be a stupid question, but how
>> similar/different is this from linux?
>>

> Years ahead!

Saying ZFS (a filesystem) is years ahead of Linux (an OS kernel) is
is somewhat silly.

Saying "The OpenSolaris platform" is years ahead of "The Linux
Platform" is just as silly because there is at least one area
where OpenSolaris is about a decade behind the commonly used
Linux distros.

Erik (who once worked at SUN but never drank the Koolaid)
Erik de Castro Lopo
The word "Windows" is a word out of an old dialect of the
Apaches. It means: "White man staring through glass-screen
onto an hourglass..."

Richard Bos 09-03-2008 08:36 AM

Re: Good C Practice

Erik de Castro Lopo <nospam@mega-nerd.com> wrote:

> Ian Collins wrote:
>
> >> Very interesting link. Pardon what may be a stupid question, but how
> >> similar/different is this from linux?
> >>

> > Years ahead!

> Saying ZFS (a filesystem) is years ahead of Linux (an OS kernel) is
> is somewhat silly.

Not if you're talking about programming style. SunOS was years ahead of
Linux in solidity and style decades ago, and still is.

Richard

Thommy M. Malmström 09-03-2008 11:52 AM

Re: Good C Practice

Erik de Castro Lopo wrote:
> Pilcrow wrote:
>
>>> http://opensolaris.org/os/community/zfs/source/

>> Very interesting link. Pardon what may be a stupid question, but how
>> similar/different is this from linux?

> ZFS is a file system, Linux is an operating system kernel.

I think OP's question was regarding C programming style.

--
/"\ Join the ASCII | Thommy M. Malmström
\ / ribbon campaign | AB Hardeberga IT

Ian Collins 09-03-2008 07:06 PM

Re: Good C Practice

Thommy M. Malmström wrote:
> Erik de Castro Lopo wrote:

>>> Very interesting link. Pardon what may be a stupid question, but how
>>> similar/different is this from linux?

>> ZFS is a file system, Linux is an operating system kernel.

> I think OP's question was regarding C programming style.

So were my replies.

--
Ian Collins.