Velocity Reviews

-   -   Rawzor beta release (lossless raw compression) (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t633411-rawzor-beta-release-lossless-raw-compression.html)

Sachin Garg 09-02-2008 07:01 PM

Rawzor beta release (lossless raw compression)

I have just released the first 'with GUI' beta for the lossless raw
compression tool I was working on.

http://www.rawzor.com

We have discussed this here multiple times before but unlike previous techy
talks and geeky command line tools :-) this time there is a easily usable
GUI tool (screenshot on homepage).

For a brief introduction for first time readers, its a lossless compression
tool for raw images. It supports images from (almost) all the camera models,
getting around 20% to 60% compression depending on raw format.

I have also published a nice little graph of space saving achieved by Rawzor
on all the different raw formats, and as requested I have also added a
supported cameras list.

The core is still more or less the same as previous preview release (just a
few minor speed improvements). If you were using the previous command-line
builds, this version maintains full compatibility with files created with
them.

For the developers, there is an SDK available to support Rawzor compressed
files directly in applications. Format details are available on request
(will be published soon).

Sachin Garg [India]
www.sachingarg.com | www.imagecompression.info

Blinky the Shark 09-02-2008 07:42 PM

Re: Rawzor beta release (lossless raw compression)

Sachin Garg wrote:

> I have just released the first 'with GUI' beta for the lossless raw
> compression tool I was working on.
>
> http://www.rawzor.com
>
> We have discussed this here multiple times before but unlike previous techy
> talks and geeky command line tools :-) this time there is a easily usable
> GUI tool (screenshot on homepage).
>
> For a brief introduction for first time readers, its a lossless compression
> tool for raw images. It supports images from (almost) all the camera models,
> getting around 20% to 60% compression depending on raw format.

<looks at Nikon list> D40, D40X but not D60?

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups

Sachin Garg 09-02-2008 08:11 PM

"Blinky the Shark" <no.spam@box.invalid> wrote in message
news:pan.2008.09.02.19.42.14.156555@thurston.blink ynet.net...
> Sachin Garg wrote:
>
>> I have just released the first 'with GUI' beta for the lossless raw
>> compression tool I was working on.
>>
>> http://www.rawzor.com
>>
>> We have discussed this here multiple times before but unlike previous
>> techy
>> talks and geeky command line tools :-) this time there is a easily usable
>> GUI tool (screenshot on homepage).
>>
>> For a brief introduction for first time readers, its a lossless
>> compression
>> tool for raw images. It supports images from (almost) all the camera
>> models,
>> getting around 20% to 60% compression depending on raw format.

> <looks at Nikon list> D40, D40X but not D60?

Rawzor probably supports it, its just not in the list (The list is not
complete, its one of the reasons I had been postponing puting up the list).

It seems you have a D60, can you try it on your images. It will also help if
you can mail/rapidshare me a few sample images (or I can send you ftp login
details).

me@mine.net 09-02-2008 08:32 PM

Re: Rawzor beta release (lossless raw compression)

On Wed, 3 Sep 2008 00:31:45 +0530, in rec.photo.digital.slr-systems "Sachin
Garg" <sachingarg@c10n.info> wrote:

>I have just released the first 'with GUI' beta for the lossless raw
>compression tool I was working on.
>
> http://www.rawzor.com
>
>We have discussed this here multiple times before but unlike previous techy
>talks and geeky command line tools :-) this time there is a easily usable
>GUI tool (screenshot on homepage).
>
>For a brief introduction for first time readers, its a lossless compression
>tool for raw images. It supports images from (almost) all the camera models,
>getting around 20% to 60% compression depending on raw format.

First thing I would comment on is it definitely needs a feature adding the
selected source file directory to the output directory if one desires to
output to the current source directory.

Blinky the Shark 09-02-2008 09:43 PM

Sachin Garg wrote:

> "Blinky the Shark" <no.spam@box.invalid> wrote in message
> news:pan.2008.09.02.19.42.14.156555@thurston.blink ynet.net...
>> Sachin Garg wrote:
>>
>>> I have just released the first 'with GUI' beta for the lossless raw
>>> compression tool I was working on.
>>>
>>> http://www.rawzor.com
>>>
>>> We have discussed this here multiple times before but unlike previous
>>> techy
>>> talks and geeky command line tools :-) this time there is a easily usable
>>> GUI tool (screenshot on homepage).
>>>
>>> For a brief introduction for first time readers, its a lossless
>>> compression
>>> tool for raw images. It supports images from (almost) all the camera
>>> models,
>>> getting around 20% to 60% compression depending on raw format.

>> <looks at Nikon list> D40, D40X but not D60?

> Rawzor probably supports it, its just not in the list (The list is not
> complete, its one of the reasons I had been postponing puting up the list).
>
> It seems you have a D60, can you try it on your images. It will also help if
> you can mail/rapidshare me a few sample images (or I can send you ftp login
> details).

I don't do enough image manipulation on any Windows systems for it to
matter. I just noticed the omission and thought I'd mention it in case it
had inadvertently been left out. Let me know when you port it to Linux.

Markus Fuenfrocken 09-03-2008 08:31 AM

Sachin Garg wrote:
> For a brief introduction for first time readers, its a
> lossless compression tool for raw images. It supports
> images from (almost) all the camera models, getting
> around 20% to 60% compression depending on raw format.

Hmmm, let me see if i got that right: you developed a software that converts
an already proprietary format into an even more proprietary one just to save
a few MEGs on HDD, but with the possible risk never to be able to access my
RAW files again (or only for money if you decide to charge users)? No thanks
..... but good luck with your business.

Regards,
Markus

Sachin Garg 09-03-2008 09:34 AM

news:pan.2008.09.02.21.43.03.875182@thurston.blink ynet.net...
> Sachin Garg wrote:
>

>> "Blinky the Shark" <no.spam@box.invalid> wrote in message
>> news:pan.2008.09.02.19.42.14.156555@thurston.blink ynet.net...

>>> <looks at Nikon list> D40, D40X but not D60?

>> Rawzor probably supports it, its just not in the list (The list is not
>> complete, its one of the reasons I had been postponing puting up the
>> list).
>>
>> It seems you have a D60, can you try it on your images. It will also help
>> if
>> you can mail/rapidshare me a few sample images (or I can send you ftp
>> login
>> details).

> I don't do enough image manipulation on any Windows systems for it to
> matter. I just noticed the omission and thought I'd mention it in case it
> had inadvertently been left out.

Thanks, I will try to get my hands on D60 samples and add it to list.

> Let me know when you port it to Linux.

I have already ported the SDK to linux (not on website yet but available on
request, still needs more testing). Will port the GUI too, hopefully soon.

Till then, maybe you can try running it with Wine, I haven't tried but it
just might work.

Sachin Garg 09-03-2008 09:36 AM

<me@mine.net> wrote in message
> On Wed, 3 Sep 2008 00:31:45 +0530, in rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
> "Sachin
> Garg" <sachingarg@c10n.info> wrote:
>
>>I have just released the first 'with GUI' beta for the lossless raw
>>compression tool I was working on.
>>
>> http://www.rawzor.com
>>
>>We have discussed this here multiple times before but unlike previous
>>techy
>>talks and geeky command line tools :-) this time there is a easily usable
>>GUI tool (screenshot on homepage).
>>
>>For a brief introduction for first time readers, its a lossless
>>compression
>>tool for raw images. It supports images from (almost) all the camera
>>models,
>>getting around 20% to 60% compression depending on raw format.

> First thing I would comment on is it definitely needs a feature adding the
> selected source file directory to the output directory if one desires to
> output to the current source directory.

Have added this, download the latest beta (v0.35). Have also updated the
screenshot on homepage, let me know if it is what you were expecting.

Sachin Garg [India]
www.sachingarg.com | www.rawzor.com

Sachin Garg 09-03-2008 09:42 AM

"thepixelfreak" <not@dot.com> wrote in message
> On 2008-09-02 12:31:45 -0700, "Sachin Garg" <sachingarg@c10n.info> said:
>
>> I have just released the first 'with GUI' beta for the lossless raw
>> compression tool I was working on.
>>
>> http://www.rawzor.com
>>
>> We have discussed this here multiple times before but unlike previous
>> techy
>> talks and geeky command line tools :-) this time there is a easily usable
>> GUI tool (screenshot on homepage).

> Sounds great. No Mac port though? Lots of photographers use Mac's you
> know.

Rawzor's code is fairly portable but I don't have a Mac yet, and they don't
come cheap :-)

I even tried one of those hacked OSX installs which claim to run on non-mac
PCs but they seem to need a 64-bit processor, so it will have to wait till I
upgrade my machine. It may take a while but its definitely gonna come.

Blinky the Shark 09-03-2008 09:46 AM

Sachin Garg wrote:

> "Blinky the Shark" <no.spam@box.invalid> wrote in message
> news:pan.2008.09.02.21.43.03.875182@thurston.blink ynet.net...
>> Sachin Garg wrote:
>>

>>> "Blinky the Shark" <no.spam@box.invalid> wrote in message
>>> news:pan.2008.09.02.19.42.14.156555@thurston.blink ynet.net...

>>> Rawzor probably supports it, its just not in the list (The list is not
>>> complete, its one of the reasons I had been postponing puting up the
>>> list).
>>>
>>> It seems you have a D60, can you try it on your images. It will also help
>>> if
>>> you can mail/rapidshare me a few sample images (or I can send you ftp
>>> login
>>> details).

>> I don't do enough image manipulation on any Windows systems for it to
>> matter. I just noticed the omission and thought I'd mention it in case it
>> had inadvertently been left out.

> Thanks, I will try to get my hands on D60 samples and add it to list.
>
>> Let me know when you port it to Linux.

> I have already ported the SDK to linux (not on website yet but available on
> request, still needs more testing). Will port the GUI too, hopefully soon.
>
> Till then, maybe you can try running it with Wine, I haven't tried but it
> just might work.

I'm not into trying to run Windows applications on my Linux boxes.
Similarly, I don't date my ex-wives. ;)