Velocity Reviews

-   -   A Good Free Compiler (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t633342-a-good-free-compiler.html)

Magnus.Moraberg@gmail.com 09-02-2008 11:25 AM

A Good Free Compiler

Hi,

What compiler would you recommend someone who is learning C++. I work
on Windows Xp at work and I have a Mac (Os X) at home.

I would like a compiler that has a GUI/Text Editor type interface, but
I would also like to learn more about linkage etc.

Thanks,

Barry.

Jim Z. Shi 09-02-2008 11:38 AM

Re: A Good Free Compiler

Magnus.Moraberg@gmail.com wrote:
> Hi,
>
> What compiler would you recommend someone who is learning C++. I work
> on Windows Xp at work and I have a Mac (Os X) at home.
>
> I would like a compiler that has a GUI/Text Editor type interface, but
> I would also like to learn more about linkage etc.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Barry.

eclipse CDT + g++ may help on both Win/Mac platform.

HTH,
Jim

Pascal J. Bourguignon 09-02-2008 11:41 AM

Re: A Good Free Compiler

Magnus.Moraberg@gmail.com writes:
> What compiler would you recommend someone who is learning C++. I work
> on Windows Xp at work and I have a Mac (Os X) at home.

GNU cc works as well on MS-Windows than on MacOSX (and includes C,
C++, Objective-C and some other languages).

You can easily get GNU cc along with the cygwin package on MS-Windows (http://www.cygwin.com).
It comes with the developers tools on MacOSX (downloadable for free from http://www.apple.com).

> I would like a compiler that has a GUI/Text Editor type interface, but

Lucky guy! GNU cc comes with its own GNU emacs IDE.

> I would also like to learn more about linkage etc.

Of course. Mind GNU ld, it comes along GNU cc.

--
__Pascal Bourguignon__

AnonMail2005@gmail.com 09-02-2008 02:03 PM

Re: A Good Free Compiler

On Sep 2, 7:25*am, Magnus.Morab...@gmail.com wrote:
> Hi,
>
> What compiler would you recommend someone who is learning C++. I work
> on Windows Xp at work and I have a Mac (Os X) at home.
>
> I would like a compiler that has a GUI/Text Editor type interface, but
> I would also like to learn more about linkage etc.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Barry.

Microsoft has "express" editions of it's compiler/IDE free for
download.

HTH

Magnus.Moraberg@gmail.com 09-02-2008 02:30 PM

Re: A Good Free Compiler

On 2 Sep, 13:41, p...@informatimago.com (Pascal J. Bourguignon) wrote:
> Magnus.Morab...@gmail.com writes:
> > What compiler would you recommend someone who is learning C++. I work
> > on Windows Xp at work and I have a Mac (Os X) at home.

> GNU cc works as well on MS-Windows than on MacOSX (and includes C,
> C++, Objective-C and some other languages).
>
> You can easily get GNU cc along with the cygwin package on MS-Windows (http://www.cygwin.com).
> It comes with the developers tools on MacOSX (downloadable for free fromhttp://www.apple.com).
>
> > I would like a compiler that has a GUI/Text Editor type interface, but

> Lucky guy! *GNU cc comes with its own GNU emacs IDE. *
>
> > I would also like to learn more about linkage etc.

> Of course. *Mind GNU ld, it comes along GNU cc.
>
> --
> __Pascal Bourguignon__

Hi again,

I've installed Cygwin and g++ works on the command prompt. Emacs also
works on the Command Prompt, but I'd like a nice GUI app to work
within. Any advice?

Thanks,

Barry.

Pascal J. Bourguignon 09-02-2008 02:50 PM

Re: A Good Free Compiler

Magnus.Moraberg@gmail.com writes:

> On 2 Sep, 13:41, p...@informatimago.com (Pascal J. Bourguignon) wrote:
>> Magnus.Morab...@gmail.com writes:
>> > What compiler would you recommend someone who is learning C++. I work
>> > on Windows Xp at work and I have a Mac (Os X) at home.

>> GNU cc works as well on MS-Windows than on MacOSX (and includes C,
>> C++, Objective-C and some other languages).
>>
>> You can easily get GNU cc along with the cygwin package on MS-Windows (http://www.cygwin.com).
>> It comes with the developers tools on MacOSX (downloadable for free fromhttp://www.apple.com).
>>
>> > I would like a compiler that has a GUI/Text Editor type interface, but

>> Lucky guy! *GNU cc comes with its own GNU emacs IDE. *
>>
>> > I would also like to learn more about linkage etc.

>> Of course. *Mind GNU ld, it comes along GNU cc.
>>
>> --
>> __Pascal Bourguignon__

> Hi again,
>
> I've installed Cygwin and g++ works on the command prompt. Emacs also
> works on the Command Prompt, but I'd like a nice GUI app to work
> within. Any advice?

Ah, it seems cygwin is in a state of flux. Cygwin-X needs a
maintainer, and most XFree86 packages are removed from cygwin. There
remains some X packages in cygwin, but I don't know if that includes a
working X server.

Anyways, six month ago I installed cygwin-X without a problem, so it
should still work, I'd hope.

Then choose emacs-X11 rather than the plain emacs package. This will
give you the GUI version of emacs.

Then you can launch X11, and typing emacs in the xterm should launch
the GUI version of emacs. (It has nice menus and toolbars, and the
customization is more easily done with the mouse).

Unfortunately, at the moment I cannot compile emacs with the X11 GUI
on MacOSX 10.5. But there, you should probably better use Xcode,
which nice, or use Aquamacs, which is emacs with the Mac GUI.

--
__Pascal Bourguignon__

James Kanze 09-02-2008 04:19 PM

Re: A Good Free Compiler

On Sep 2, 1:41 pm, p...@informatimago.com (Pascal J. Bourguignon)
wrote:
> Magnus.Morab...@gmail.com writes:
> > What compiler would you recommend someone who is learning C++. I work
> > on Windows Xp at work and I have a Mac (Os X) at home.

> GNU cc works as well on MS-Windows than on MacOSX (and
> includes C, C++, Objective-C and some other languages).

> You can easily get GNU cc along with the cygwin package on
> MS-Windows (http://www.cygwin.com).

The cygwin package doesn't always work that well. For a Unix
toolkit, the best free one I've found is UWin. (Many, many
years back, I used the MKS toolkit under MS-DOS, and was very
pleased with it. But MKS seems to have priced it out of reach
today.)

Long term, of course, you do need some sort of toolkit under
Windows, because the system doesn't come with anything usable.
For starting, however, it's probably not that necessary.

> It comes with the developers tools on MacOSX (downloadable for
> free fromhttp://www.apple.com).

> > I would like a compiler that has a GUI/Text Editor type
> > interface, but

> Lucky guy! GNU cc comes with its own GNU emacs IDE.

GNU cc (i.e. gcc) doesn't come with anything for emacs other
than a .el file for reporting bugs. Cygwin comes with emacs,
but you can also install emacs (or better yet, gvim)
independantly. Installing any of these tools, however, does
require some knowledge of how Windows organizes things, in order
to set the necessary path variables, etc. For that, you're
better off installing CygWin, which does take care of that
aspect for you (not optimally, but adequately for simple
things).

Having said that, if he's just starting, a classical IDE might
be preferable; there's no point in having to learn makefile's at
the same time you're learning the language. (In any industrial
use, of course, you'll quickly run up against the limits of the
IDE, and end up writing your own makefiles anyway. In which
case, GNU make is an order of magnitude more powerful than any
of the other make's I've seen.)

Juha Nieminen 09-02-2008 07:15 PM

Re: A Good Free Compiler

Magnus.Moraberg@gmail.com wrote:
> What compiler would you recommend someone who is learning C++. I work
> on Windows Xp at work and I have a Mac (Os X) at home.

Well, you could try this:

http://www.microsoft.com/express/vc/

kwikius 09-02-2008 10:54 PM

Re: A Good Free Compiler

Alf P. Steinbach wrote:
> * Magnus.Moraberg@gmail.com:
>>
>> What compiler would you recommend someone who is learning C++. I work
>> on Windows Xp at work and I have a Mac (Os X) at home.
>>
>> I would like a compiler that has a GUI/Text Editor type interface, but
>> I would also like to learn more about linkage etc.

> g++ is available for both your systems.

Best way to learn C++ is to try writing a compiler for it yourself

I did ... :-)

regards
Andy Little

Gennaro Prota 09-02-2008 11:50 PM

Re: A Good Free Compiler

kwikius wrote:
> Best way to learn C++ is to try writing a compiler for it yourself
>
> I did ... :-)

You did try, or you did write? :-)

--
Gennaro Prota | name.surname yahoo.com