Velocity Reviews

-   -   Wavy monitor lines (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t633163-wavy-monitor-lines.html)

tenplay 08-31-2008 11:02 PM

Wavy monitor lines

Wavy lines occasionally appear on our Gateway monitor. They go away for
a while if I press on the monitor frame/border. I tried unplugging the
electrical cable and cable to the pc, rubbing the connections with a
pencil eraser, and reseating the cables. It helped but did not make the
problem go away entirely. Now I am thinking that the connections are
dirty and not making consistent contact. Is there some kind of spray
cleaner or formula that would get rid of the problem? Thanks for any
advice.

pickled 09-01-2008 05:09 PM

Re: Wavy monitor lines

If you are using an old CRT hit the degauss button.
If that does not work it is time to find a replacement.
If you are using an LCD panel then it is time to find a replacement.
Alternatively you can try opening the thing up and seeing if there is loose
connection. You have little to lose as you are likely going to have to
replace the thing anyway.

caveat 09-02-2008 04:10 AM

Re: Wavy monitor lines

"pickled" <fac_187@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> If you are using an old CRT hit the degauss button.
> If that does not work it is time to find a replacement.
> If you are using an LCD panel then it is time to find a replacement.
> Alternatively you can try opening the thing up and seeing if there is
> loose connection. You have little to lose as you are likely going to have
> to replace the thing anyway.

If you are using a CRT monitor then I would not suggest sticking your hands
inside. A color monitor can store 25K volts even if it is not plugged in. If
you touch the wrong spot then you could get seriously hurt.

It could be bad solder connections in the degauss circuit that break
electrical connection then at times reconnect thus kicking in the degause
circuit for a second or so, but it could also be interferience from another
source. Is your computer or monitor close to any electrical items that could
sometimes generate a magnetic field?
If it is the degause circuit then the effect would usually be like an
invisable hand is grabbing the picture and quickly rotating it, from the
point of view of the center of the picture, back and forth a few degrees.
If it is a bad cable between the computer and monitor or some EMI then the
effect is usually more like waves scrolling down the screen.
Most monitors have cables that can be removed from the monitor. You could
try a different cable.

To answer your actual question about a spray cleaner, you can get a can of
cleaner at Radio Shack or any electrical supply shop, just ask for contact
cleaner. There is very little difference from one brand to another. The main
exception to that would be tuner cleaner which is designed for cleaning
switch contacts like those used in the old rotary tuners of old TVs. Tuner
cleaner won't hurt anything, it would simply be overkill and probably cost
more.

Winston 09-02-2008 02:58 PM

Re: Wavy monitor lines

tenplay wrote:
> Wavy lines occasionally appear on our Gateway monitor.

CRT? LCD?

Not all wavy lines are created equally.
Could you possibly snap a picture of the effect and
upload / link so we can have a look at what you see?

CRT monitors are famous for 'wavy' intensity variations
when placed in proximity to AC fans and transformers.

The cure for that is always to separate the fan from
the display.

--Winston