Velocity Reviews

Velocity Reviews (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/index.php)
-   NZ Computing (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/f47-nz-computing.html)
-   -   Re: Microsoft breaks IE8 interoperability promise (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t633014-re-microsoft-breaks-ie8-interoperability-promise.html)

Dave Doe 08-30-2008 08:16 AM

Re: Microsoft breaks IE8 interoperability promise
 
In article <pan.2008.08.29.23.40.24@carnations.com>,
Beautiful@Carnations.com says...
> Microsoft breaks IE8 interoperability promise
>
> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/08...eroperability/
>
>
> "" This week, the promise was broken. It lasted less than six months. Now
> that Internet Explorer IE8 beta 2 is released, we know that many, if not
> most, pages viewed in IE8 will not be shown in standards mode by default.
> The dirty secret is buried deep down in the «Compatibility view»
> configuration panel, where the «Display intranet sites in Compatibility
> View» box is checked by default. Thus, by default, intranet pages are not
> viewed in standards mode. ""


What a load of balony (typical of 'theregister' mind).


I remember reading some guff on the compatability mode in a downloadable
FAQ, so I dug it up again for you (so this is straight from the horses
mouth (Microsoft))...

What does Internet Explorer 8 Beta 2 mean for my existing Web site and
line-of-business applications?
In keeping with the Interoperability Principles Microsoft Chief
Software Architect Ray Ozzie announced in February 2008, Internet
Explorer 8 Beta 2 displays content in Internet Explorer 8 "Standards"
mode by default. Enabling Internet Explorer 8 to display Web content in
its most standards-compliant way by default is the right way to help
move the Web forward. This big step in real-world interoperability
allows us to:
" Help Web developers and designers drive toward the ideal of "write
once, run anywhere," freeing up more time to innovate versus modify
content for different browsers
" Address several major development and design pain points from
previous Internet Explorer releases
" Partner closely with Web standards working groups to be a key
contributor in Web standards evolution
Since announcing our decision to give top priority to Web standards
interoperability, response from the Web community has been very
positive. However, browsing in Internet Explorer 8 Standards mode may
cause content written for previous versions of Internet Explorer to
display differently than intended. There is a call to action for Web
site developers to add a simple meta tag to their Web site that will
ensure Internet Explorer 8 displays the page exactly as Internet
Explorer 7 did.
The tag is: <meta http-equiv="X-UA-Compatible" content="IE=EmulateIE7">.
For guidance on applying the tag, visit our KB Article or the MSDN
Internet Explorer Compatibility Center.
Outside of developers adding the meta tag to their Web site, end users,
and IT Professionals can also control the way Internet Explorer 8
displays content. Internet Explorer 8 Beta 2 introduces "Compatibility
View," which represents a significant enhancement over the "Emulate
IE7" functionality from Beta 1. When users click the Compatibility View
button, Internet Explorer 8 remembers the Web site so that next time the
user visits that site, they continue to view it in Compatibility View.
In addition, all sites in the Intranet Zone are displayed by default
using Compatibility View to ensure that intranet sites and applications
built for Internet Explorer 7 continue to display correctly. IT
Professionals can use Group Policy to control Compatibility View,
including the list of sites displayed in Compatibility View.


If Internet Explorer 8 has an Internet Explorer 7 Compatibility Mode,
why is that not the default way Web sites are displayed so that Internet
Explorer 8 is compatible with existing pages?
Enabling Internet Explorer 8 to display Web content in its most
standards compliant way by default is the right way to help move the Web
forward. This big step in real-world interoperability allows us to:
" Help Web developers and designers drive toward the ideal of "write
once, run anywhere," freeing up more time to innovate versus modify
content for different browsers
" Address several major development and design pain points from
previous Internet Explorer releases
" Partner closely with Web standards working groups to be a key
contributor in Web standards evolution


Anyway, what do you think of IE8? how many sites have you found where
the compatability mode (a mouse click on the IE8 main window) needs
turning on?

I've found the new features great. The only problem I've found thus far
is an addon (Skype) that is not compatible with the new version.


--
Duncan

impossible 08-30-2008 01:03 PM

Re: Microsoft breaks IE8 interoperability promise
 
"Carnations" <Beautiful@Carnations.com> wrote in message
news:pan.2008.08.30.11.18.26@carnations.com...
> On Sat, 30 Aug 2008 20:57:00 +1200, Puddle wrote:
>
>> Carnations wrote:
>>> On Sat, 30 Aug 2008 20:16:56 +1200, Dave Doe wrote:
>>>
>>>> Anyway, what do you think of IE8? how many sites have you found where
>>>> the compatability mode (a mouse click on the IE8 main window) needs
>>>> turning on?
>>>
>>> Duh! Micro$oft Internet Explorer is only available on one platform
>>> only.
>>>
>>> It is not available for *nix.

>>
>> So why are you worried about it?

>
> I personally am not "worried" about it. I am, however, concerned that by
> default M$IE will not be configured by default to operate in standards-
> compliant mode for intranet sourced material.
>
> the source is irrelevant - all pages should be rendered in a standards-
> compliant manner.
>
>


CupaPee at his sily-bugger best! So you want to deploy the Standards Police
to shut down every non-compliant intranet. Good thinking!!


Chris Lim 08-30-2008 11:38 PM

Re: Microsoft breaks IE8 interoperability promise
 
On Aug 30, 11:11*pm, Carnations <Beauti...@Carnations.com> wrote:
> I personally am not "worried" about it. I am, however, concerned that by
> default M$IE will not be configured by default to operate in standards-
> compliant mode for intranet sourced material.
>
> the source is irrelevant - all pages should be rendered in a standards-
> compliant manner.


Probably, but why are you "concerned" (but not worried) about this?

Cima 08-30-2008 11:51 PM

Re: Microsoft breaks IE8 interoperability promise
 
On Sat, 30 Aug 2008 16:38:37 -0700 (PDT), Chris Lim <blackcap80@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>On Aug 30, 11:11*pm, Carnations <Beauti...@Carnations.com> wrote:
>> I personally am not "worried" about it. I am, however, concerned that by
>> default M$IE will not be configured by default to operate in standards-
>> compliant mode for intranet sourced material.
>>
>> the source is irrelevant - all pages should be rendered in a standards-
>> compliant manner.

>
>Probably, but why are you "concerned" (but not worried) about this?


Heh, I'd be more concerned by having a woofter-ish nym like "Beautiful
Carnations"!



Dave Doe 08-31-2008 12:09 AM

Re: Microsoft breaks IE8 interoperability promise
 
In article <pan.2008.08.30.11.18.26@carnations.com>,
Beautiful@Carnations.com says...
> On Sat, 30 Aug 2008 20:57:00 +1200, Puddle wrote:
>
> > Carnations wrote:
> >> On Sat, 30 Aug 2008 20:16:56 +1200, Dave Doe wrote:
> >>
> >>> Anyway, what do you think of IE8? how many sites have you found where
> >>> the compatability mode (a mouse click on the IE8 main window) needs
> >>> turning on?
> >>
> >> Duh! Micro$oft Internet Explorer is only available on one platform
> >> only.
> >>
> >> It is not available for *nix.

> >
> > So why are you worried about it?

>
> I personally am not "worried" about it. I am, however, concerned that by
> default M$IE will not be configured by default to operate in standards-
> compliant mode for intranet sourced material.


Why? Surely it's normal practice, and good on MS for thinking of that
option (that can be changed individually or by group policy), for
intranet sites.

How many sites, BTW, do you go to on a daily basis at:
http://localhost
?


> the source is irrelevant - all pages should be rendered in a standards-
> compliant manner.


No, quite normal to browse:
http://companyweb, http://remote-web-mail in compatability mode, surely.

And you can turn it off if you want.

I've found lots of sites don't work unless your in compatability mode,
eg. http://www.stuff.co.nz needs it (be a right pain for all those CMS
developers to fix things - but as you say, it helps put pressure on the
developers to be standards compliant.

--
Duncan

Jasen Betts 08-31-2008 03:05 AM

Re: Microsoft breaks IE8 interoperability promise
 
On 2008-08-30, Carnations <Beautiful@Carnations.com> wrote:
> I personally am not "worried" about it. I am, however, concerned that by
> default M$IE will not be configured by default to operate in standards-
> compliant mode for intranet sourced material.
>
> the source is irrelevant - all pages should be rendered in a standards-
> compliant manner.


having IE8 being bug compatible with ealier versions will be
convenient for intranet managers,

if they didn't have this it could be a major obstacle to roll-out of
ie8 in corporate environments.

I expect there is or will be some 'tag' they can add to new content to turn
this 'feature' off.

Bye.
Jasen

~misfit~ 08-31-2008 04:40 AM

Re: Microsoft breaks IE8 interoperability promise
 
Somewhere on teh intarweb "Cima" typed:
> On Sat, 30 Aug 2008 16:38:37 -0700 (PDT), Chris Lim
> <blackcap80@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Aug 30, 11:11 pm, Carnations <Beauti...@Carnations.com> wrote:
>>> I personally am not "worried" about it. I am, however, concerned
>>> that by default M$IE will not be configured by default to operate
>>> in standards- compliant mode for intranet sourced material.
>>>
>>> the source is irrelevant - all pages should be rendered in a
>>> standards- compliant manner.

>>
>> Probably, but why are you "concerned" (but not worried) about this?

>
> Heh, I'd be more concerned by having a woofter-ish nym like "Beautiful
> Carnations"!


It was Freesias not so long ago, before last he nym-shifted to escape the
scorn (and killfiles) of folks.
--
Shaun.

DISCLAIMER: If you find a posting or message from me
offensive, inappropriate, or disruptive, please ignore it.
If you don't know how to ignore a posting, complain to
me and I will be only too happy to demonstrate... ;-)



Bruce Sinclair 08-31-2008 11:17 PM

Re: Microsoft breaks IE8 interoperability promise
 
In article <48ba20d9$1@news2.actrix.gen.nz>, "~misfit~" <misfit61nz@hooya.com.au> wrote:
>Somewhere on teh intarweb "Cima" typed:
>> On Sat, 30 Aug 2008 16:38:37 -0700 (PDT), Chris Lim
>> <blackcap80@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> On Aug 30, 11:11 pm, Carnations <Beauti...@Carnations.com> wrote:
>>>> I personally am not "worried" about it. I am, however, concerned
>>>> that by default M$IE will not be configured by default to operate
>>>> in standards- compliant mode for intranet sourced material.
>>>>
>>>> the source is irrelevant - all pages should be rendered in a
>>>> standards- compliant manner.
>>>
>>> Probably, but why are you "concerned" (but not worried) about this?

>>
>> Heh, I'd be more concerned by having a woofter-ish nym like "Beautiful
>> Carnations"!

>
>It was Freesias not so long ago, before last he nym-shifted to escape the
>scorn (and killfiles) of folks.


Sure ... but 2 posts from the new nym and straight back into the bucket he
goes. By their posts shall ye know them. :)

Why anyone bothers to read him or reply (hint ... the only reason I can see
this at all is the replies :) ) still escapes me. :)


Bruce Sinclair 09-01-2008 04:30 AM

Re: Microsoft breaks IE8 interoperability promise
 
In article <1ihkfq884zwet.1jj3uqsch43jm$.dlg@40tude.net>, Bret <at@at.corn> wrote:
>On Sun, 31 Aug 2008 23:17:25 GMT, Bruce Sinclair wrote:
>
>> In article <48ba20d9$1@news2.actrix.gen.nz>, "~misfit~"

> <misfit61nz@hooya.com.au> wrote:
>>>Somewhere on teh intarweb "Cima" typed:
>>>> On Sat, 30 Aug 2008 16:38:37 -0700 (PDT), Chris Lim
>>>> <blackcap80@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>>>
>>>>> On Aug 30, 11:11 pm, Carnations <Beauti...@Carnations.com> wrote:
>>>>>> I personally am not "worried" about it. I am, however, concerned
>>>>>> that by default M$IE will not be configured by default to operate
>>>>>> in standards- compliant mode for intranet sourced material.
>>>>>>
>>>>>> the source is irrelevant - all pages should be rendered in a
>>>>>> standards- compliant manner.
>>>>>
>>>>> Probably, but why are you "concerned" (but not worried) about this?
>>>>
>>>> Heh, I'd be more concerned by having a woofter-ish nym like "Beautiful
>>>> Carnations"!
>>>
>>>It was Freesias not so long ago, before last he nym-shifted to escape the
>>>scorn (and killfiles) of folks.

>>
>> Sure ... but 2 posts from the new nym and straight back into the bucket he
>> goes. By their posts shall ye know them. :)
>>
>> Why anyone bothers to read him or reply (hint ... the only reason I can see
>> this at all is the replies :) ) still escapes me. :)

>
>**** Bruce, you got me thinking now.


My work here is done. <exits stage left, whistling >

:)



All times are GMT. The time now is 09:08 AM.

Powered by vBulletin®. Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.