Velocity Reviews

-   -   switch not posting (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t632640-switch-not-posting.html)

flamer die.spam@hotmail.com 08-27-2008 09:05 PM

switch not posting

Hi I have an old 3512XL switch, when powered on the system light goes
amber, all the ports go green except for port 1 which stays amber and
I only get one glyph character outputted to the console session when
it powers on.

Is there a way to do a hardware reset of this switch or is it
completely coastered? I know its old but I want to use it for some lab
stuff if I can get it working.

Flamer

flamer die.spam@hotmail.com 08-28-2008 03:10 AM

Re: switch not posting

Thrill5 wrote:
> Turning the switch off and on is a hardware reset. Try booting it up in
> ROMMON mode. I think on this particular switch, if you hold the front push
> button in (it's on left) while powering it on, it will boot into ROMMON.
>
> <die.spam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Hi I have an old 3512XL switch, when powered on the system light goes
> > amber, all the ports go green except for port 1 which stays amber and
> > I only get one glyph character outputted to the console session when
> > it powers on.
> >
> > Is there a way to do a hardware reset of this switch or is it
> > completely coastered? I know its old but I want to use it for some lab
> > stuff if I can get it working.
> >
> > Flamer

Hi I have tried that, I should've stated it sorry, but yes with the
button depressed I still get the same thing when booting.

is there no way to clear the onboard memory before powering it up?

Flamer.

Doug McIntyre 08-28-2008 04:13 AM

Re: switch not posting

"flamer die.spam@hotmail.com" <die.spam@hotmail.com> writes:
>Thrill5 wrote:
>> Turning the switch off and on is a hardware reset. Try booting it up in
>> ROMMON mode. I think on this particular switch, if you hold the front push
>> button in (it's on left) while powering it on, it will boot into ROMMON.
>>
>> <die.spam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> > Hi I have an old 3512XL switch, when powered on the system light goes
>> > amber, all the ports go green except for port 1 which stays amber and
>> > I only get one glyph character outputted to the console session when
>> > it powers on.
>> >
>> > Is there a way to do a hardware reset of this switch or is it
>> > completely coastered? I know its old but I want to use it for some lab
>> > stuff if I can get it working.
>> >
>> > Flamer

>Hi I have tried that, I should've stated it sorry, but yes with the
>button depressed I still get the same thing when booting.

>is there no way to clear the onboard memory before powering it up?

Its failing on some very low-level basic power-on-self-check with bad
hardware, those things will even keep working when the PHY's blow
after a lightning strike.

The switches do their best to go on, but say, if it doesn't have
working DRAM, its not going to go anywhere, not much you can do short
of start swapping out DRAM chips out on the board to hunt down its
hardware major problem.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/...80125913.shtml

flamer die.spam@hotmail.com 09-02-2008 11:46 AM

Re: switch not posting

On Aug 28, 4:13*pm, Doug McIntyre <mer...@geeks.org> wrote:
> "flamer die.s...@hotmail.com" <die.s...@hotmail.com> writes:
> >Thrill5 wrote:
> >> Turning the switch off and on is a hardware reset. *Try booting it up in
> >> ROMMON mode. *I think on this particular switch, if you hold the front push
> >> button in (it's on left) while powering it on, it will boot into ROMMON.

> >> <die.s...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> >Hi I have tried that, I should've stated it sorry, but yes with the
> >button depressed I still get the same thing when booting.
> >is there no way to clear the onboard memory before powering it up?

> Its failing on some very low-level basic power-on-self-check with bad
> hardware, those things will even keep working when the PHY's blow
> after a lightning strike.
>
> The switches do their best to go on, but say, if it doesn't have
> working DRAM, its not going to go anywhere, not much you can do short
> of start swapping out DRAM chips out on the board to hunt down its
> hardware major problem.
>
> http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/...roducts_tech_n...

I had a lot of trouble trying to pry them off the board, think I will
just chuck this one in the dumpster as it doesnt show any sign of
life.

Flamer.