Velocity Reviews

-   -   Class Viewer, Google searches, and rankings (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t632028-class-viewer-google-searches-and-rankings.html)

JSH 08-23-2008 07:43 PM

Class Viewer, Google searches, and rankings

Maybe more on-topic for Java developers I will again admit that I am
curious about where my open source program Class Viewer for Java
really ranks, where for years now I've puzzled over the #1 position
held on a Google or Yahoo search on "class viewer" without knowing if
it's really significant as hit counts to the page are pathetic, as in,
10 per day, on a good day.

The program itself isn't big or complicated and really just gives you
a GUI for quick reference on Java classes to see all the public
methods, fields and constructors, and it will open a browser to get
javadocs, and can take you to the specific method:

http://java.sun.com/javase/6/docs/ap...pyValueOf(char[],%20int,%20int)

The program built that URL and opened Firefox for me to it and I just
copied that out to show here.

How good of a feature is that? I know now developers are using IDE's
while when I was professionally programming I used an IDE with C++,
but the Java ones were considered crappy by my fellow developers
(should date when I was developing) so they convinced me to do
everything from the command line. And I hate IntelliSense.

All the javadocs I need are kept up with in an xml file, so once
they're in there, I don't have to look them up again and the program
opens them up in an instant to the method I want, and if there are
changes I just open it with a text editor and make the changes to the
path for the URL.

I've considered letting people do that through the GUI but without
feedback I don't know if it's needed or would be useful.

Oh yeah, as I cover neat features as I need more info, and getting
feedback about users is a waste as I learned earlier, I'll ask about
comparisons, one thing I love is the ability to do a search on every
public method with a certain character string in it. Like I can
search for everything with "ode", in String and get the following
output:

int hashCode()
int codePointAt(int)
int codePointBefore(int)
int codePointCount(int,int)
int offsetByCodePoints(int,int)

So that just pulled everything with "Code", and that's everything in
String. Or you can search on "char" and get every method that has
"char" in it at all, which I think is just neat.

The program itself is just middle-ware I think on Java Reflections
which returns methods with package information which makes that hard
to read so the program strips that off (or tries to strip it off), and
then it just gives you search, and finally you can double-click on a
method and get javadocs opened up for you to that method.

So then, does all of that deserve a #1 ranking in Google for a search
on "Class Viewer"?

Do the IDE's now do all of that for you?

And if it's a decent little program, why do I only get at best 10 hits
per day on the main webpage?

James Harris

Daniele Futtorovic 08-23-2008 07:58 PM

Re: Class Viewer, Google searches, and rankings

On 23/08/2008 21:43, JSH allegedly wrote:
> blahblahblah

My balls are hairier than yours.

--
DF.

JSH 08-23-2008 08:55 PM

Re: Class Viewer, Google searches, and rankings

On Aug 23, 12:58*pm, Daniele Futtorovic <da.futt.n...@laposte.invalid>
wrote:
> On 23/08/2008 21:43, JSH allegedly wrote:
>
> > blahblahblah

> My balls are hairier than yours.
>
> --
> DF.

Do you have balls? Sorry, I assumed you were female from your name.
My mistake.

___JSH

Daniele Futtorovic 08-23-2008 10:19 PM

On 23/08/2008 22:55, JSH allegedly wrote:
> On Aug 23, 12:58 pm, Daniele Futtorovic <da.futt.n...@laposte.invalid>
> wrote:
>> On 23/08/2008 21:43, JSH allegedly wrote:
>>
>>> blahblahblah

>> My balls are hairier than yours.
>>

> Do you have balls? Sorry, I assumed you were female from your name.
> My mistake.

No biggie.

But do you understand what that statement meant, James? That your "I'm
better than you 'cause I've got a Google rank" attitude is childish and
obnoxious?

It's plain enough by now that you're a narcissistic character. So I'm
afraid pointing out the logical flaws in your argumentation won't reach
you. But don't you realise you're merely talking to your reflection in
the mirror? That your whole attitude revolves around telling yourself
how great you are and getting others to tell it to you? But James,
nobody gives a crap about you and your Google rank.

Can't you realise that? In all earnestness, James, can you even fathom
that what's important to you isn't important to everyone else? Can you
even comprehend that there are people who take neither your nor their
own belly-button for the centre of the world?

Can't you realise that you're annoying the **** out of everyone with
your ClassViewer stuff? That it is utterly pathetic? That if you go on
like this the only person you will have left to talk to and who doesn't
shout back at you will be your reflection in the mirror?

--
DF.

Arne Vajh°j 08-23-2008 11:55 PM

JSH wrote:
> Maybe more on-topic for Java developers I will again admit that I am
> curious about where my open source program Class Viewer for Java
> really ranks, where for years now I've puzzled over the #1 position
> held on a Google or Yahoo search on "class viewer" without knowing if
> it's really significant as hit counts to the page are pathetic, as in,
> 10 per day, on a good day.

If I created a tool called "Foobartistic barfoolarum", then I
would probably also get pretty high on Google for that term.

Class viewer is not a term used by Java developers and the type
of software is not used by Java developers.

So the two facts that you are high on Google and low on hits
are not contradictions.

Arne

willo_thewisp@hotmail.com 08-24-2008 12:26 AM

On Aug 23, 3:43*pm, JSH <jst...@gmail.com> wrote:

> while when I was professionally programming I used an IDE with C++,

This would be when you were professionally programming at Alltel in
Atlanta, right? Before they fired you for gross incompetence and
almost unfathomable stupidity?

JSH 08-24-2008 08:07 AM

Re: Class Viewer, Google searches, and rankings

On Aug 23, 3:19*pm, Daniele Futtorovic <da.futt.n...@laposte.invalid>
wrote:
> On 23/08/2008 22:55, JSH allegedly wrote:
>
> > On Aug 23, 12:58 pm, Daniele Futtorovic <da.futt.n...@laposte.invalid>
> > wrote:

> >> My balls are hairier than yours.

> > Do you have balls? *Sorry, I assumed you were female from your name.
> > My mistake.

> No biggie.
>
> But do you understand what that statement meant, James? That your "I'm
> better than you 'cause I've got a Google rank" attitude is childish and
> obnoxious?
>
> It's plain enough by now that you're a narcissistic character. So I'm
> afraid pointing out the logical flaws in your argumentation won't reach
> you. But don't you realise you're merely talking to your reflection in
> the mirror? That your whole attitude revolves around telling yourself
> how great you are and getting others to tell it to you? But James,
> nobody gives a crap about you and your Google rank.
>
> Can't you realise that? In all earnestness, James, can you even fathom
> that what's important to you isn't important to everyone else? Can you
> even comprehend that there are people who take neither your nor their
> own belly-button for the centre of the world?
>
> Can't you realise that you're annoying the **** out of everyone with
> your ClassViewer stuff? That it is utterly pathetic? That if you go on
> like this the only person you will have left to talk to and who doesn't
> shout back at you will be your reflection in the mirror?

Yeah sure, but what does that have to do with whether or not you have
balls?

So you're a guy posting as a woman, I get it. No big deal.

That's one of the things about Usenet and the Internet, you can
pretend to be someone else, or someone of a different sex.

___JSH

JSH 08-24-2008 08:08 AM

On Aug 23, 4:55*pm, Arne Vajh°j <a...@vajhoej.dk> wrote:
> JSH wrote:
> > Maybe more on-topic for Java developers I will again admit that I am
> > curious about where my open source program Class Viewer for Java
> > really ranks, where for years now I've puzzled over the #1 position
> > held on a Google or Yahoo search on "class viewer" without knowing if
> > it's really significant as hit counts to the page are pathetic, as in,
> > 10 per day, on a good day.

> If I created a tool called "Foobartistic barfoolarum", then I
> would probably also get pretty high on Google for that term.
>
> Class viewer is not a term used by Java developers and the type
> of software is not used by Java developers.

That is useful information if true.

> So the two facts that you are high on Google and low on hits
> are not contradictions.

Hey, it's a freaking puzzle to me. Some of you seem to think I'm
bragging or something, but I've been puzzling about this for THREE
YEARS.

I finally just decided to talk about it and see if I could get
answers.

So far though, none. Instead I get jealousy. Which I see as idiotic
as I don't know what the rankings mean myself.

James Harris

Andreas Leitgeb 08-24-2008 09:03 AM

JSH <jstevh@gmail.com> wrote:
> [about Class viewer]

I had a look at your sourceforge page, and was unclear
about a few things:
- why only "public" members?
(even for the standard class library, protected methods
could be relevant for the user if it's in a class that's
designed for being subclassed)
- It doesn't seem to extract any more information from
the class, than what can be seen in Javadocs in the
first place.

please clarify.

Arne Vajh°j 08-24-2008 09:32 AM

Roedy Green wrote:
> On Sat, 23 Aug 2008 12:43:35 -0700 (PDT), JSH <jstevh@gmail.com>
> Google's main trick is to count the number of links to a page from
> other websites. The more, the higher the ranking. Write useful stuff
> that other people link to. Google can't see people's bookmarks, but
> it can see web copies of them.

> My web pages tends to rank highly. I suspect it is because have small
> pages that concentrate on one particular thing with some unique
> vocabulary, and links to other popular related materials. Another
> reason may be that I have fully verified HTML which won't trip up the
> spiders.

> Ironically I have not made any special effort to rank highly.

You post links to them intently ...

Arne

"A new partnership of nations has begun. We stand today at a unique
and extraordinary moment. The crisis in the Persian Gulf, as grave
as it is, offers a rare opportunity to move toward an historic
period of cooperation. Out of these troubled times, our fifth
objective - a New World Order - can emerge...When we are successful,
and we will be, we have a real chance at this New World Order,
an order in which a credible United Nations can use its peacekeeping
role to fulfill the promise and vision of the United Nations' founders."

--- George Bush
September 11, 1990 televised address to a joint session of Congress