Velocity Reviews

-   -   Volume icon on the taskbar (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t631455-volume-icon-on-the-taskbar.html)

jss27560 08-19-2008 05:21 AM

Volume icon on the taskbar

I am trying to enable the volume icon on the taskbar but whenever I go to the
'Sounds and Audio Devices properties' applet in CP and select the option I
receive an error saying the the Volume Control program is not installed and I
need to use the ADD/Remove programs in CP.

If you haven't figured out where this is going, there is no volume control
program to install and I haven't been able to find one.

Anybody has a clue where I might find it.

Thanks,

Juergen Kluth 08-19-2008 07:02 AM

Re: Volume icon on the taskbar

Hi,
are you sure about the hardware is installed correctly ?
sound enabled in bios, driver installed ?
jk

Bogey Man 08-21-2008 12:55 PM

Re: Volume icon on the taskbar

I would be surprised if the Relate drivers didn't supply better control than
the built in drivers or the drivers from Microsoft. I would give them a try.

Ron

R. C. White 08-21-2008 03:17 PM

Re: Volume icon on the taskbar

Hi, Ron.

Well, I tried to get the drivers from Realtek last night, but their website
(www.realtek.com) is inscrutable - to me, at least. So I Googled for them
and came up with several sites that offer the drivers, apparently for a fee!
I tried one, which was a friendly as could be until I asked for the
download, when it presented its EULA - and there was a paragraph there about
paying their invoice! :>( I aborted, then tried again and got the same
EULA. They hadn't asked for a credit card yet, so I continued and
downloaded their DriverDetective.exe, which ran until it got to the point of
downloading the drivers. Then it wanted $29.95! So I bailed out again. It
was my bedtime, so I never did get the drivers.

Then I went to Belarc, which I've often seen praised in newsgroups, and
downloaded their Advisor and ran it. It told me a lot about my computer,
but didn't offer drivers. Under Multimedia, it listed the same 3 devices as
Device Manager:

Hauppauge WinTV HVR-1600 NTSC/ATSC Combo
High Definition Audio Device
Pinnacle PCTV 800e

So I went back to the CD-ROM than came with my EPoX motherboard in December
2006 and found the Realtek drivers, including the one that I seem to need:
WDM_A392.exe, but that is dated 9/21/06, before Vista even went RTM. When I
tried to install that, it apparently hung my computer; I'm guessing it's for
WinXP - or maybe for 32-bit.

Anyhow, as I said, my computer has been working fine without those drivers
for nearly two years. The only thing I'm apparently missing is that little
icon that looks like a lobster with claws upraised but really is a Maestro
conducting an orchestra. I can live without that, so I'm done fiddling with
this - for now. I have seen that and the several Realtek utility screens,
but maybe it was when I was running WinXP.

Maybe I'll revisit the topic when I have more time. Thanks for your help.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

Carlos 08-21-2008 05:39 PM

Re: Volume icon on the taskbar

R.C.,
Search for "carlos realtek" in this forum and you will find links for the
two possible realtek chipsets: AC97 and HD Audio.
:)
Carlos

Dominic Payer 08-21-2008 08:26 PM

Re: Volume icon on the taskbar

For Realtek AC97 codec drivers start at
http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/...&GetDown=false

For Realtek HD codec drivers

Tony Sperling 08-21-2008 11:52 PM

Re: Volume icon on the taskbar

I only spotted this thread now - to get back to the original post, isn't
that icon ticked off in the 'Mixer' (or, Volume Control) applet? I'm sure
that's where I set mine, even though it's been a while.

I just turned off that machine - here on the Win2K machine it's in the
'Sounds and Multimedia' applet. It is not generally available through the
drivers or managers, I don't think.

Tony. . .

R. C. White 08-22-2008 02:53 AM

Re: Volume icon on the taskbar

Hi, Dominic - and Carlos.

Eureka! I have found it! But only after much frustration at the Realtek
site!

http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/...&GetDown=false

Once I arrived at the pages that you guys gave me, I tried various searches
(alc8, alc885, WDM_392...), but they took me around in circles. Finally I
searched for "Vista" and got the page above. The top offering on that page
is "Vista Driver (32/64 bits) Driver only (ZIP file) R2.02 2008/8/18
23008k". Bingo! Their link from Taiwan must go by way of Beijing or
somewhere because it took about a half-hour on my cable broadband, but I
finally got the file, Vista_R202.zip. This evening I ran it and it seems to
be working.

Yes, I now have the Realtek HD Audio Manager in the Notification Area. When
I right-click it, I get several options including Sound Manager. Device
Manager now says "Realtek High Definition Audio", from Realtek, driver
version 6.0.1.5683, dated 8/12/2008. I've even got the "lobster" icon back!
;<}

I hope the op is still reading along and can get some benefit from all this.

Since I've already admitted that I'm not an audiophile, I'm not sure it was
worth all that trouble, but I'm glad to be up to date. Thanks, Guys!

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

gareth 11-30-2008 07:17 PM

Re: Volume icon on the taskbar

don't know

Bobby Johnson 11-30-2008 10:16 PM

Re: Volume icon on the taskbar

You are way over a day late and a dollar short!

This thread was declared DEAD a long time ago.