Velocity Reviews

-   -   XP Pro x64 problems (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t631034-xp-pro-x64-problems.html)

Wally Basher 08-16-2008 04:47 AM

XP Pro x64 problems

I installed XP Professional x64 edition on my newly built AMD Athlon(tmm) 64
X 2 Dual Core processor 5600+ 2.90 GHz, 7.87 GB Ram . My problem appears to
be many, it blanks my monitor screen, hangs or crashes, appears that it will
not allow me to mulit taslk, problems in downloading and changing my URL
address. Those are some of the many items that has occurred. With trying to
solve this problem, I have replaced my motherboard(M2A-VM HDMI), processor,
harddrive, memory stick (fm SUpertalent to Kingston), replaced my power
supply. It appears to run just fine with only 2GB of RAM. At this point, I
am strongly think that I have a problems with microsoft XP Pro x64 edition
version. Everything that I have done so far, and this has been going on
since May 2008, has not change one bit. If anything. it appears to enhance
these problems. My next consideration is to return this version of XP
software and try another one. Or maybe the verison can not be installed on
this type of board. I am open for suggestion or ideas. I do have a bit of
knowledge about computers, I been developer on large mainframes since 1963,
in software for both hardware and user applications. I have built several PC
for my self.

Jeff Gaines 08-16-2008 08:11 AM

Re: XP Pro x64 problems

On 16/08/2008 in message
<C6E5A197-B4FA-40E8-941A-473742B71328@microsoft.com> Wally Basher wrote:

>It appears to run just fine with only 2GB of RAM

It would be worth your while searching this group for '2GB of RAM' - you
can use Google Groups:

http://groups.google.com/advanced_search?q=&

I had no problems installing x64 with 8GB RAM and no problems running it
but many people have had issue when more than 2GB of RAM is installed -
often related to memory timings or main board issues.

I am using a Gigabyte GA-X48-DQ6 main board here.

--
Jeff Gaines Damerham Hampshire UK
There is absolutely no substitute for a genuine lack of preparation

Carl 08-17-2008 07:00 AM

Re: XP Pro x64 problems

Go into the bios and increase the voltage for your memory.