Velocity Reviews

-   -   No restore points, redux. (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t630659-no-restore-points-redux.html)

XS11E 08-13-2008 08:42 PM

No restore points, redux.

Earlier messages posted around July 6th....

Again I had to restore Vista Ultimate 64bit from an Acronis image and
again, the restored image had NO restore points.

Additional information, MS Update then proceeded to install around 16
updates, both to Office and to Vista and I recognized that some of them
I'd installed previously so not only did I lose my restore points but I
also either lost the updates or whatever pointer it is that tells MS
Update that an update is installed.

The image I restored was made just about two hours before the restore
because I planned to mess with some software, it didn't work nor did it
uninstall so the restore was the easiest way to go.

Prior to creating the image I checked to be sure there were restore
points and there were the usual bunch, all gone now. I also recall one
MS Update relating to my video card which was installed just hours
before creating the image.

This is of come concern, I'm using Acronis 10 and creating images from
within Vista. I just deleted existing images and created a new one by
booting into the Acronis CD and creating the image from there, I don't
know if that will make any difference?

Also, my HD is partitioned and I only restore the C: partition but
should that make any difference to System restore or to MS Update?

Any ideas?

The Usenet Improvement Project:
http://improve-usenet.org

Bobby Johnson 08-13-2008 09:05 PM

Re: No restore points, redux.

If you're convinced that Acronis is wiping out your restore
points and turning it off in Vista, then the logical
approach is to get with Acronis Tech Support and let them
sort it out. A situation of this type would by all means
not be a Microsoft problem, it would be Acronis' problem and
they should be the ones to resolve the problem. You're
talking about the possibility of a "bug" in Acronis and you
won't find the solution here if this is true.

XS11E 08-13-2008 09:26 PM

Re: No restore points, redux.

Bobby Johnson <rjohnson@aol.NOSPAM.com> wrote:

> If you're convinced that Acronis is wiping out your restore
> points and turning it off in Vista, then the logical
> approach is to get with Acronis Tech Support and let them
> sort it out.

So far no solution from them.

Bobby Johnson 08-14-2008 12:03 PM

Re: No restore points, redux.

And you think Microsoft or someone in this forum is going to
fix it?

Maybe you can get Alice in Wonderland to help with the problem?

Carlos 08-14-2008 12:21 PM

Re: No restore points, redux.

XS11E,
You are using an "old" version of Acronis, current one is v11.
Some research in the changelog might help.
Carlos

XS11E 08-14-2008 02:52 PM

Re: No restore points, redux.

Bobby Johnson <rjohnson@aol.NOSPAM.com> wrote:

> And you think Microsoft or someone in this forum is going to
> fix it?

Again you demonstrate your inability to comprehend the problem.

If you can't understand, don't reply.

> Maybe you can get Alice in Wonderland to help with the problem?

I think you should limit yourself to only one stupid pill per day...

Again, if your reading comprehension doesn't allow you to understand
the problem or WHY I *correctly* posted it here, then STFU, OK?

XS11E 08-14-2008 02:53 PM

Re: No restore points, redux.

Carlos <Carlos@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> XS11E,
> You are using an "old" version of Acronis, current one is v11.
> Some research in the changelog might help.

Thanks, nothing there that give any clues.

The question is has anyone else noticed this?

Bobby Johnson 08-14-2008 04:10 PM

Re: No restore points, redux.

I've been using Acronis 10 before and now Acronis 11 and in
the 3 years I've been using them I have never encountered
any problem with Restore Points. I have used Acronis on
Windows XP Pro 32-bit, Windows XP Pro x64, and Windows Vista
x64 and have never encountered any problems like this.

The only problem I have encountered with Acronis is getting
it to do a backup directly to a dual layer DVD, but research
indicates it is probably the particular drive I am using.

Bobby Johnson 08-14-2008 07:46 PM

Re: No restore points, redux.

I have just completed a complete system image of my Vista
x64 system to DVD using Acronis True Image Home 11. I just
went in the settings for System Restore, the system is still
set to do restore points, and all my previous restore points
are still listed.

I have done a complete Acronis 11 System Backup and my Vista
x64 System Restore was not affected in any way.

Acronis 11 did not change my system restore settings nor did
it delete my previous restore points.

XS11E 08-15-2008 03:12 AM

Re: No restore points, redux.

Bobby Johnson <rjohnson@aol.NOSPAM.com> wrote:

> I have just completed a complete system image of my Vista
> x64 system to DVD using Acronis True Image Home 11. I just
> went in the settings for System Restore, the system is still
> set to do restore points, and all my previous restore points
> are still listed.
>
> I have done a complete Acronis 11 System Backup and my Vista
> x64 System Restore was not affected in any way.
>
> Acronis 11 did not change my system restore settings nor did
> it delete my previous restore points.

FYI: It's normal, I finally dug the info out, applies to Version 10 and
11 of Acronis:

"....While this may fix the association between the volume ID and the
System Restore settings, the restore points are still going to be lost.
A restored sector map created by VSS will be incorrect, and Vista will
delete it. What this means is that all of your restore points in the TI
image will be irretrievably lost upon image restoration.

You're better off deleting all restore points before imaging in order
to reduce the image size because they're not going to survive anyway."

It's a long thread, it applies to Acronis 10 and 11, different people
have different results.

I believe it's a Vista problem, Acronis may not be able to fix it?