Velocity Reviews

-   -   replying to newsgroup msg's. (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t629365-replying-to-newsgroup-msgs.html)

bob 08-06-2008 02:46 AM

replying to newsgroup msg's.

when replying to newsgroup msg's, sometimes the ">" sign and an indent shows
up - sometimes not.
any suggestions?
i have the news "sending" to "plain text" and the ">" box checked..

bob

Paul 08-06-2008 03:14 AM

Re: replying to newsgroup msg's.

bob wrote:
> when replying to newsgroup msg's, sometimes the ">" sign and an indent
> shows up - sometimes not.
> any suggestions?
> i have the news "sending" to "plain text" and the ">" box checked..
>
> bob

I downloaded Thunderbird from mozilla.org, and did a "New account"
and selected "newsgroup account". Entered my details, and was up and
running. It seems to work reasonably well.

If your newsgroup account uses a "username" and "password", you have
to go into "server settings", after the newsgroup account is set up,
and tick "Always request authentication", to get it to do the right
thing.

Paul

Jeff Strickland 08-06-2008 02:50 PM

"Paul" <nospam@needed.com> wrote in message news:g7b4ov$6g1$1@aioe.org...
> bob wrote:
>> when replying to newsgroup msg's, sometimes the ">" sign and an indent
>> shows up - sometimes not.
>> any suggestions?
>> i have the news "sending" to "plain text" and the ">" box checked..
>>
>> bob

> I downloaded Thunderbird from mozilla.org, and did a "New account"
> and selected "newsgroup account". Entered my details, and was up and
> running. It seems to work reasonably well.
>
> If your newsgroup account uses a "username" and "password", you have
> to go into "server settings", after the newsgroup account is set up,
> and tick "Always request authentication", to get it to do the right
> thing.
>
> Paul

????

He has a news reader that does the job. His question is that some posts show
an indent for each level of the discussion, and a >, to attribute each
participant's comments properly. His problem is that the > symbol and it's
accompanying indent, does not always appear.

Jeff Strickland 08-06-2008 02:54 PM

"bob" <r-stein@NOSPAMatt.net> wrote in message
> when replying to newsgroup msg's, sometimes the ">" sign and an indent
> shows up - sometimes not.
> any suggestions?
> i have the news "sending" to "plain text" and the ">" box checked..
>
> bob

I have this problem too. I have concluded that it is caused by a setting on
the poster's news client, not yours or mine.

As you can see, you post has the indent and > symbol, and when you reply to
my post, it to will have the indent and >. Yet, on posts (usually from the
same poster), there is no indent or > to attribute comments properly.

<JS>

When this happens to me, I simply wrap my comments in brackets with my
initials. Like this ...

</JS>

Paul 08-06-2008 03:47 PM

Jeff Strickland wrote:

> "Paul" <nospam@needed.com> wrote in message news:g7b4ov$6g1$1@aioe.org...
>> bob wrote:
>>> when replying to newsgroup msg's, sometimes the ">" sign and an
>>> indent shows up - sometimes not.
>>> any suggestions?
>>> i have the news "sending" to "plain text" and the ">" box checked..
>>>
>>> bob

>> I downloaded Thunderbird from mozilla.org, and did a "New account"
>> and selected "newsgroup account". Entered my details, and was up and
>> running. It seems to work reasonably well.
>>
>> If your newsgroup account uses a "username" and "password", you have
>> to go into "server settings", after the newsgroup account is set up,
>> and tick "Always request authentication", to get it to do the right
>> thing.
>>
>> Paul

> ????
>
> He has a news reader that does the job. His question is that some posts
> show an indent for each level of the discussion, and a >, to attribute
> each participant's comments properly. His problem is that the > symbol
> and it's accompanying indent, does not always appear.

He can experiment with an alternate news reader, and see if the same
symptoms present themselves, and then select the best tool for the
job. Thunderbird is free.

Paul

bob 08-07-2008 03:12 AM

"Paul" <nospam@needed.com> wrote in message news:g7cgsq$4ic$1@aioe.org...
> Jeff Strickland wrote:

>>> I downloaded Thunderbird from mozilla.org, and did a "New account"
>>> and selected "newsgroup account". Entered my details, and was up and
>>> running. It seems to work reasonably well.
>>>
>>> If your newsgroup account uses a "username" and "password", you have
>>> to go into "server settings", after the newsgroup account is set up,
>>> and tick "Always request authentication", to get it to do the right
>>> thing.
>>>
>>> Paul

>> ????
>>
>> He has a news reader that does the job. His question is that some posts
>> show an indent for each level of the discussion, and a >, to attribute
>> each participant's comments properly. His problem is that the > symbol
>> and it's accompanying indent, does not always appear.
>>

> He can experiment with an alternate news reader, and see if the same
> symptoms present themselves, and then select the best tool for the
> job. Thunderbird is free.

i'm using windows mail now. used to use outlook express, didn't have the
problem.

bob

bob 08-07-2008 03:13 AM

"Jeff Strickland" <crwlr@verizon.net> wrote in message

> "bob" <r-stein@NOSPAMatt.net> wrote in message
>> when replying to newsgroup msg's, sometimes the ">" sign and an indent
>> shows up - sometimes not.
>> any suggestions?
>> i have the news "sending" to "plain text" and the ">" box checked..
>>
>> bob

> I have this problem too. I have concluded that it is caused by a setting
> on the poster's news client, not yours or mine.
>
> As you can see, you post has the indent and > symbol, and when you reply
> to my post, it to will have the indent and >. Yet, on posts (usually from
> the same poster), there is no indent or > to attribute comments properly.
>
> <JS>
>
> When this happens to me, I simply wrap my comments in brackets with my
> initials. Like this ...
>
> </JS>

good idea - but the finicky guys on my other newsgroup get mad at my non
indented posts!

bob

Jeff Strickland 08-07-2008 03:52 AM

> "Jeff Strickland" <crwlr@verizon.net> wrote in message
>>
>> "bob" <r-stein@NOSPAMatt.net> wrote in message
>>> when replying to newsgroup msg's, sometimes the ">" sign and an indent
>>> shows up - sometimes not.
>>> any suggestions?
>>> i have the news "sending" to "plain text" and the ">" box checked..
>>>
>>> bob

>> I have this problem too. I have concluded that it is caused by a setting
>> on the poster's news client, not yours or mine.
>>
>> As you can see, you post has the indent and > symbol, and when you reply
>> to my post, it to will have the indent and >. Yet, on posts (usually from
>> the same poster), there is no indent or > to attribute comments properly.
>>
>> <JS>
>>
>> When this happens to me, I simply wrap my comments in brackets with my
>> initials. Like this ...
>>
>> </JS>

> good idea - but the finicky guys on my other newsgroup get mad at my non
> indented posts!
>
> bob

Screw 'em. It isn't your problem, it's the guy you are Replying to.